Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Tightening the hose clamps!! It's just too simple, I love it! I don't know that it's the answer in my case and I'll still be taking it to Freightliner for a look over, but I'm certainly going to get out my wrench and see what I find. I'd have to agree with Chief, Amanda, if you keep up with advice like this, I don't think you'll be able to call yourself a newbie much longer! :-)

Meanwhile, for those that have or had the auxiliary filter that I understand is 18 inches from the reservoir, is that visible from the rear engine access area? I don't seem to see one on mine and so am wondering if I even have one, looking for some help as to where to look for it.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Alan,

I'm pretty sure my coach did not have the aux power steering filter on it. My failure was the pump itself.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #23

*looks embarrassed* Well, thanks guys! I was really in a panic when seeing all that oily stuff all over the car. I really didn't want to call ERS out in the middle of nowhere so we just started looking at everything we could think of as to where it might be coming from. I saw all the gunk on the one of the hoses coming the power steering reservoir and just figured if we tightened the clamp a bit maybe that would at least stop it a little.

We wiped down the car and took off and the next rest stop pulled over again. Whee! ...nothing on the car. We kept checking at each place we stopped and we haven't seen anything more of the spray. The hose still appears to be "wet" though so I thought maybe we should buy another clamp and see if an additional one might tighten it up even more.

But now that we hear that it could be a filter problem, we better have that checked out too. Perhaps the defective filter is putting undue pressure on the hoses? I haven't yet gone out to see if there's a filter 18" below the reservoir yet. We'll do that when we get the chance.

Thanks again!
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Update...

Well, it turns out my coach does not and did not have that auxiliary filter in the power steering system. I was unable to find it where everyone said to look for it and Freightliner confirmed it. In the end, Freightliner's opinion was that the power steering reservoir was simply over filled from the factory causing the fluid to vent out the cap. They took out the excess, cleaned everything up, and sent me on my way. All should be good now, we'll see.

PS: I also tightened up the hose clamps per Amanda's suggestion just to be sure.

Thanks all for your input.

Alan