Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Speedometer reads zero total miles

A friend has an 05 Vectra. His total mileage reads zero. Trip appears to be working OK. Any ideas how to reset/recover total miles?
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't think this is a DIY project. I'd ask at a Speedometer Shop and see what they suggest. On the bright side, your friend has a brand new RV!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would check with Freightliner. When my 2005 Vectra was new they had to replace the MMDC because of some problem (before I actually picked up the coach). They programmed the new MMDC with the mileage based on the ECM or something, so it can be done.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
A friend has an 05 Vectra. His total mileage reads zero. Trip appears to be working OK. Any ideas how to reset/recover total miles?
I traded a '05 Vectra 40FD for this coach. The OD did the same thing just before I traded. Freightliner in Dallas did the work and said the OD COULD NOT be set to the known value registered in the engine data. They gave me a printout that I presented to the dealer when I traded. The dealer CHARGED me $5k because the OD was not set to the original mileage. Freightliner insisted it was agents the law to "reset" the OD.

Get the repair done and keep the paperwork.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I would check with Freightliner. When my 2005 Vectra was new they had to replace the MMDC because of some problem (before I actually picked up the coach). They programmed the new MMDC with the mileage based on the ECM or something, so it can be done.
By Federal law they have to program the new unit to the original mileage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
By Federal law they have to program the new unit to the original mileage.
I am sorry to be so blunt but you are wrong. I spent hours trying to find someone to set my OD to the correct mileage. Daimler, the mother company, will not allow Freightliner to set the OD. Out side companies do not have the correct equipment to recalibrate the OD. Please trust me on this one. The new coach may fall under a different ruling. I could not find any DOT or federal law that addressed this situation. It is against the law to "reset" the OD for the purpose of fraud. (da!) The Daimler lawyers interpret calibrate for any reason as resetting and being fraudulent. (????) I even contacted the manufacturer of the module that failed and they said that they were under contract with Daimler not to recalibrate the instrument.

All of this I have told you was very frustrating for me. The RV dealer I was trading with almost refused the trade because of the OD reading. My wife and I were at wits end. As I have stated, it cost me $5K to pay the dealer to take my coach in trade. He wanted 10K! He told me it made the coach harder to sell and that he would take a loss. He may have been lying but he had the advantage. The Vectra had to go. The 40U was hard to find and DW and I wanted no other floor plan.

Rick Y
Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm - What would happen if you had a new odometer installed. Would they not have to set the new odometer to the correct mileage?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The dealer ripped you off for the 5K.
The print out would have the mileage, engine hours, fuel used, top speed attained, and much more info for any new owner.
And miles on a DP doesn't figure in the used price of them anyway.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had my OD do something similar coming home from the iRV2 rally last fall. I have been told by Freightliner it must have been a computer glitch and they will not reset the OD to engine miles. They went as far as telling me that if I had a new unit installed it would have to start out at 00. The info jerichorik has stated is correct. I started a thread in the Freightliner forum Click Here back on 9/24/2014 and there were several replies.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The dealer ripped you off for the 5K.
The print out would have the mileage, engine hours, fuel used, top speed attained, and much more info for any new owner.
And miles on a DP doesn't figure in the used price of them anyway.
I know I got ripped off. North Trail was 1200 mi from Dallas. The Vectra was not cutting it for what I was demanding of it. It was in the shop more than on the road. I could not find another 40U, let alone one I could afford. This deal fell into my budget. I had no way to walk into the dealer to talk. The Vectra was in the shop for the odometer problem. I knew I would loose the deal if I said no. That is why I agreed on a lesser penalty. I don't plan on buying again but if I did that dealer would not be the first I would look at.

Odometers today are driven electronically, not like the old cable type. If the correct programing equipment is not available the OD can't be changed. This is the case with Freightliner chassis coaches. I can't speak to other manufactures.

Recalibrating odometers is a big business in the car world. I talked with several folks who made a good living doing so. It is all legal and documented.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I had my OD do something similar coming home from the iRV2 rally last fall. I have been told by Freightliner it must have been a computer glitch and they will not reset the OD to engine miles. They went as far as telling me that if I had a new unit installed it would have to start out at 00. The info jerichorik has stated is correct. I started a thread in the Freightliner forum Click Here back on 9/24/2014 and there were several replies.

Don
Thanks for supporting me, Don. The truth is not always wanted to be believed.