Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ok, noticed since we bought our Brave SE that the Speedometer is not working the way it should. When you start out it stays at 0 mph, then jumps to 75 mph. If it is driven for a while the speedo seems to settle down and read ok. Any ideas, or should I just replace it?

Justdinken
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ok, noticed since we bought our Brave SE that the Speedometer is not working the way it should. When you start out it stays at 0 mph, then jumps to 75 mph. If it is driven for a while the speedo seems to settle down and read ok. Any ideas, or should I just replace it?

Justdinken
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That depends.

If it is digital/electronic (i.e.) wires, not cable operated, it could be the speed sensor in either the rear differential or transmission, a loose/broken wire or a bad ground.

If it is cable operated, it could be the cable or the "head unit". The cable could be loose, broken or just need liquid lithium/graphite grease (cable lube actually...NOT WD-40).

Check the type first and report what you find.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have had the same thing happen on my Freightliner Suncruiser 1999.

Sometimes it jumps, and goes dead, and then it might work for several thousand miles.

In the last trip of 1300 miles, I saw it act up once. Also seems to occur more when it rains, which made me think it is a connection.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When you start out it stays at 0 mph, then jumps to 75 mph. If it is driven for a while the speedo seems to settle down and read ok. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
justdinken, is the odometer working properly, keeping accurate track of miles driven?. Also, when it indicates 75 mph, are you going 75?....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had a 99 LaPalma on a Ford F53 chassis - speedometer quit working - found out that the unit is digital and must be replaced - the whole freakin' dash panel!1 They send the new one away to a company that resets your odometer and then they switch the old unit with the new one. Cost: around $500.00.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When mine quits, so does the odometer.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions. First, Odemeter is working ok. WHen I purchased the unit, I had to drive it from Denver to Grand Junction, Approx 250 mi. It recorded the milage correctly. I do think it is electonic (not digital, at least the readout). The whole console does lift up without taking any screws out. I will be looking at this closer to see if it gets its information macanicallu (cable), or by sensor (wire). Also, the speed it indicates is NOT accurate. When it bounces I know am doing under 40MPH but it can read as high as 80MPH. Then, like I stated before, it seems to "Settle Down" and read ok. This was confirmed by my LOL while she was following me home.

Thanks again, I will let you know what I find.

JustDinken
Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justdinken:
Thanks for the suggestions. First, Odemeter is working ok. WHen I purchased the unit, I had to drive it from Denver to Grand Junction, Approx 250 mi. It recorded the milage correctly. I do think it is electonic (not digital, at least the readout). The whole console does lift up without taking any screws out. I will be looking at this closer to see if it gets its information macanicallu (cable), or by sensor (wire). Also, the speed it indicates is NOT accurate. When it bounces I know am doing under 40MPH but it can read as high as 80MPH. Then, like I stated before, it seems to "Settle Down" and read ok. This was confirmed by my LOL while she was following me home.

Thanks again, I will let you know what I find.

JustDinken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update: The speedometer is electronic, not mechanical. I did unplug the dash connections and re-connected them. I have not driven it to see if that made a difference.

My question would be that because it is electronic, there seems to be only two possilbe solutions; 1. Replace the dash intrument pannel, or 2. replace the electronic sender. I guess I will start with the sender first?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Before you replace the sensors do the following. Remove the sensor and wipe down the end of it and try again. Since the sensor is electronic (just a coil and magnet) any metal particles from standard wear and tear can stick to the magnet on the end of the sensor causing false readings to no readings at all.
1995Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 98 Chieftain on a Freightliner chassis. I have intermittent spedo/odo dropouts. Each time I start out I wonder if it is going to work. If it works it does until I stop the engine. It seems like it has to do with the connection to the computer module in the engine compartment. If it does not work for a while, I disconnect the grey connector and reconnect. I bunjy'd the connector to hold it tighter and that seemed to help for a while. I can't seem to see a pushed back pin or corrosion on the connector.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

Well we are having a similar problem with our 2003 Winnebago Brave. We have a Base Instrement Cluster with Trip Computer (CTC) and we are unable to read it, it is like all the letters/numbers have all broken (digital). the speedometer works fine. We travelled 4000 miles in April and it was working during the trip and now not working. Also our pulse wipers are not working on pulse but do work. Is it possible that we have a defective computer? Has anyone else had problems like this?
Islandduffer is offline   Reply With Quote