Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have been looking at the Silver Leaf VMSpc program that you run on your computer which monitors a lot of things going on in your coach (engine and tranny). For the software to work correctly, it needs to be plugged into the diagnostic plug that is part of the Spartan Chassis. Per Silver Leaf, I should have the round diagnostic plug in my MH. I have a 2002 Winnabago Ultimate Advantage 36C with a Cummins ISC350 on a Mountain Master Chassis. I have searched under the dash but, can not find the plug which they say is round in shape. Are there any other 2002 Ultimate Advantage owners out there who have found the diagnostic plug in their unit. If you have would appreciate any help as to where you found it. Is it loose under the dash, part of some module under the dash area. Color of it -- silver/black ? Silver Leaf says that is should either be a 6 or 9 pin plug. Any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have been looking at the Silver Leaf VMSpc program that you run on your computer which monitors a lot of things going on in your coach (engine and tranny). For the software to work correctly, it needs to be plugged into the diagnostic plug that is part of the Spartan Chassis. Per Silver Leaf, I should have the round diagnostic plug in my MH. I have a 2002 Winnabago Ultimate Advantage 36C with a Cummins ISC350 on a Mountain Master Chassis. I have searched under the dash but, can not find the plug which they say is round in shape. Are there any other 2002 Ultimate Advantage owners out there who have found the diagnostic plug in their unit. If you have would appreciate any help as to where you found it. Is it loose under the dash, part of some module under the dash area. Color of it -- silver/black ? Silver Leaf says that is should either be a 6 or 9 pin plug. Any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

I've linked this to the Winnebago forum for more exposure.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 Advantage and installed the Cummins Road Relay system which gives similar information as the Silver Leaf. I found the plug under the dash left of the steering column and it is gray. You may have to look behind the heat/air hoses.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same chassis and have been on the same search. I'm now down to cutting into the bundles to find the plug.

Whoever built this one, never intended for anyone to find or use that plug.

Argggghhhh!!

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

There should be an additional connector in the engine compartment, to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Jim

If you have any luck I would love to know what bundle it was located in. I am like you -- I don't think anyone wanted us to find and use this plug. Even the guys at Cummins South could not find it when I had the MH in -- they did not spend a lot of time searching for it but, it was not where they thought it should be.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

David, today I went into the dash with a vengence and still NO ROUND ENGINE CONNECTOR.

But I did find a FLAT 6 pin weather pack connector right next to the steering wheel column. A call to my buds at Cummins told me that could possibly be the connector for the engine diagnostics.

I'm making a plug to adapt that connector to my QuickCheck II that I have and will let you know if it works.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Jim

I will be interested in the results of what you do. If it works, would love a picture of what you did. I have had some back surgery and have not been able to go looking again for the past few weeks.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Jim and David,
I too would be interested in whatever you find. Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sorry guys, but that flat weather pack connector was not the ECM connector.

I read out the pins while the engine was running and didn't get the 12v keyswitch, 12v, or J1587 signals on any of the pins.

I'll keep looking but I'm about ready to give up. I have a Road Relay 4, with a cable run all the way to the back of the coach. I wanted to wire it in to the front connector, but can't find it.

I'm thinking I might just live with it as is.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You're right, those connectors must not have been put there to find and use. I'm having the same problem with my Winny coach on a Freightliner XC chassis. My dash instruments have gone completely dead for a day or two at a time 4-5 times in the last 3 years and FL has had me looking for this connector to see if the Trip Tek is hooked into it and possibly causing the problem. A FL shop spent 1/2 day looking for the problem and undoubtedly didn't know about the connector either. The one back at the engine sticks out in plane site, why in the world would they hide the one under the dash so well?
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
You're right, those connectors must not have been put there to find and use. I'm having the same problem with my Winny coach on a Freightliner XC chassis. My dash instruments have gone completely dead for a day or two at a time 4-5 times in the last 3 years and FL has had me looking for this connector to see if the Trip Tek is hooked into it and possibly causing the problem. A FL shop spent 1/2 day looking for the problem and undoubtedly didn't know about the connector either. The one back at the engine sticks out in plane site, why in the world would they hide the one under the dash so well?
Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My XC and all others I have looked at have a metal bracket attached to left side of steering column just below the bracket that bolts column to dash. It contains both the plug and a rocker switch to run the diagnostics and settings.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

On my Vectra there is a sloped footrest on the left side of the steering column. The 6 pin plug is located about 10" behind it mounted to the floor.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Bill. I checked behind mine as best as I could. Being behind that plate doesn't seem very handy.

Wonder if that plate comes off? Or moves out of the way? I'll have to look into mine.

Leo....thanks for the picture. And feel fortunate yours on the steering column. You and the service people can get to it easily. If mine is in the spot that Bill suggests, you'd have to be a contortionist to use the thing.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
KIX
Winnebago Master

Jim, the angled footrest that is on the floor left of the steering column does come out rather easily. It's held in place by 5 or 6 screws that are hidden in the carpet. I saw mine removed and the 5 or 6 screws laying with it. the idagnostic switch referred to is in a wiring bundle under there too.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

This whole thing started because I wanted to get rid of that cable that runs the length of the coach. It's been that way for 4 years. You'd think I'd be used to it.

The reality for me came last week. I checked the ends of the Road Relay 4 and it doesn't use the 6pin or 9pin duetsch connector. So I'd have to get an adapter. However, I also have a QUICKCHECK III which uses a Palm device and has 6pin and 9pin cables. (I really like Cummins, but sometimes I wonder what they were thinking.)

So I'm going to sell the QUICKCHECK III and stick with the Road Relay 4. And the cable. It's made it this far.......

If any one uses a Palm M series or a T series and would like a QUICKCHECK III, let me know. It does a lot of what a Road Relay does, but 1/5th the cost.

We leave for Florida on Friday. Will probably put off looking for the connector till we get down to where its warmer. Will let you all know if it's in the footplate.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Well, the saga is over, the quest secure. I found the under dash ECM connector this evening. It is indeed behind the foot rest panel...WAY behind the foot rest panel.

I couldn't get my arm around the panel or the steering column and reach the plug, but I could see it with a troubleshooting mirror I have.

So if you're ever energetic enough and flexible enough, you can take that panel off and see the plug for yourself. I don't know how anyone could use it, but you can see it.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

It took me 6 months of Yoga instructions just to get limber enough to get the cap off to see how many pins were in mine.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
KIX
Winnebago Master

Jim, Did you see my post, above, about removing that angled foot rest? It's not that hard to take out. Just screws.