Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I know I read this somewhere!
I just picked up an XRV spare for my rig and would like to mount it between the frame rails. I don't have the RV right now (getting the basement air replaced), but need to get on the road at the end of the month.
The ? is where and how did the person who said he was keeping a spare under the rig mount and secure it? I know an option is in the water ank compt.but I have some "stuff" already in there.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 07-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I know I read this somewhere!
I just picked up an XRV spare for my rig and would like to mount it between the frame rails. I don't have the RV right now (getting the basement air replaced), but need to get on the road at the end of the month.
The ? is where and how did the person who said he was keeping a spare under the rig mount and secure it? I know an option is in the water ank compt.but I have some "stuff" already in there.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 07-13-2003, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You need to specify what chassis you have, it would be different for Ford and Workhorse.

Don Harris
Savannah, GA
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, 35C, Class A, Ford V10, 20,500 GVWR chassis.
1995 Saturn SW2 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa towing system, SMI Toad brake.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I think I posted that I installed a 22.5 inch spare underneath our motorhome by fabricating a hanger for it. The hanger consisted of two pieces of 2" x 2" stock that ran from one frame rail to the other with a cross support welded onto them. The hanger looked like a letter "H"

The tire hung on 4 1/2" stainless bolts with nylon lock nuts. The tire is too heavy to lift up under the frame so I lift it up using the winch that is designed to pull in the slide in case of power failure.

If interested in more details, I can photo the tire mount.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD
Freightliner Chassis, Cat 330
Chevy Malibu Toad, Blue Ox Aventa II, USG Brake
Old 07-14-2003, 02:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Joe-K: I would be very interested the photos of the spare frame and some details on how you lifted it with the slide winch. We have a 2003 Adventurer 35U and was thinking of trying to store the spare (minus rim) in the storage compartment left of the stairs where the ladder extension is stored. If your system looks like it might work for the Adventurer I would prefer it to save the basement storage space. Thanks.

'03 35U Winnebago Adventurer
W22 Workhorse Chassis w/22.5" Sneakers
'03 Honda CRV Toad w/Towmaster Sterling and US Gear Brakes
Richard and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Don,
I have the Workhorse W20 Chassis.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 07-14-2003, 04:52 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My 33V has the W20 chassis and it comes with a spare. I know that the W22 does not come with a spare, but it has 22.5" rubber whereas my W20 has 19.5" rubber. If your 35U/W20 has 22.5" tires then the custom H frame sounds like the way to go but if you have 19.5" rubber then you should already have a spare. If not, you can get the factory mount, which is similar to an H frame but holds the spare up between the frame rails rather than under it.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V - Workhorse 20
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the 19.5 wheels and it did not come with a spare. I'll have to see if there is a factory mount that I can use.

UPDATE: The 2001 Adventurer on a W20 chassis does not have a spare tire/holder option due to modifications to the gas tank by Workhorse. If anyone has another solution, I'd love to hear it, if not I guess it goes in the side compartment.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W2o
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 07-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I was tied up this evening with another project, but I'll try to get underneath the motorhome tomorrow and take some pictures of my spare tire mount.

I knew I should have taken some pictures as I fabricated and installed the tie

Old 07-16-2003, 03:34 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2001 W-20 Adventurer 35U. It did not come with a spare. I carry an unmounted spare in the side compartment next to the fresh water tank. I made a little platform to hold it up flat as not to loose a lot of storage space. I keep a spare fan belt in the spare tire also.

Tom & Bonnie
Gardens RV Village
Crossville, TN
Winn. Adventurer 35U
W-20 8.1 Vortec
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:16 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sorry it took me a little while, but I took those promised photo's of the 22.5" spare tire which I mounted under the motorhome. I probably need to make a drawing of the mount, or else I need to lower the tire and take a better photograph of the "H" frame mount I made, but in these pictures you can get an idea of how to install the tire.

Incidently, reason I wanted to carry the spare, is that I found the 235/80/R22.5 very hard to located. All the dealers I spoke with offered to order me one and I'd have it in 2-3 days, but that would not work well if I ever needed on while traveling. I ended up purchasing a used tire for $ 50 that was inspected and was going to be sent out for retreading. It has 6/32 tread, and was mounted for free on a new steel wheel I bought for $ 105.00. I figure the $ 155.00 I have in the project is for peace of mind.

In this photograph I have opened the door where my propane tank is located. You can see the tire behind the tank where it is pulled up against the frame.

This photo is from under the motorhome and better shows the tire. The propane tank is just visible in the upper right corner. Incidently, the wire harness hanging down if for side mounted turn signals and clearance lights. Freightliner provides the harness, Winnebago just doesn't install the lights.

A closeup of the tire and frame. The 2"x2" tubing spacer is visible. The "H" frame sits on those spacers inside the frame rail to provide the height neccessary for the wheel offset. I wanted to mount the tire high enough so the tire would be snug against the frame rails.

This one is pretty obvious. The tire is mounted to four 1/2" stainless bolts welded to the "H" frame with 4 stainless washers and Nyloc nuts.

To remove the tire, I made up a cross bar, that fits into the lug nut holes and has an eye bolt attached to it. I use a winch that came with the motorhome to lower the tire by hooking the strap to the eyebolt, and bracing the winch itself against the frame that supports the propane tank. It is very easy then to crank the 160 lb tire up against the mounting bolts. I do have to slide under the motorhome to put the nuts on, but hopefully, this will be something I don't need to do often.

[This message was edited by Joe-K on Thu July 17 2003 at 09:39 AM.]
Old 07-17-2003, 07:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the photos. I just have to check the area for clearance on my rig.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W20 w/ 19.5 wheels
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 01-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone tried a mount on a 32V with workhorse 22 chassis?

2002 Winnebago 32V Adventurer Workhorse
Towing a 2002 Honda CRV
Drinks 6, Dines 4, Sleeps 2 adults and one dog

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I just bought a new set of Goodyear 670s for my Journey. The old ones (Michelin 22./80/XRV5) were in fair shape, but their age (5 1/2 years)and mileage (about 50,000 miles) made me a little nervous. I kept one of the old tires (without rim) and found that it would just fit in the upper back of the second passenger-side compartment, under the various pipes and wires. That robs me of a little storage, but I feel it's a good tradeoff.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

JoeK, is there any chance you still have those old pics to re-post ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 32V Workhorse Adventurer. The first thing I did was remove the spare from the largest compartment on the motorhome as it's the only place that will fit my reclining camping chairs. If the chairs don't go, neither do I! Anyway, if you look between the fuel tank and the hitch, there is enough room to hang the spare with about a 1/4 inch to spare. Literally 1/4 inch! When you look up in that area, you will see a frame truss with openings on each side of the truss. I went to Home Depot and bought 10 feet of heavy duty chain, I believe 3/8 as well as a 3/8 turnbuckle (rated at 450 lbs.)I threaded the chain across the top of the frame and down through each of the openings in the truss. Next, I layed the spare flat across both of my floor jacks to raise the spare into place. As I got close to the fuel tank, I added a piece of rubber tube to the rib of the fuel tank to prevent chaefing on the tire. I brought the chains together and used the turnbuckle to hold it in place. As a safety, I ran a bolt through two of the corresponding links in case the turnbuckle ever fails or comes loose (highly unlikely). The plus to this set-up, cost was approx. $30- and 1 hour labor. The negatives- If I need to use the spare, it will be diificult but possible to access the spare and next to impossible to re-install the flat tire without the floor jacks. Considering I will probably call Road Side Assistance, I just wanted to have the spare with me. This may seem odd to some but it all works quite well for me. If anything, I hope it gives someone an idea to come up with a better way. I looked and nothing was available.
Christian
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote