Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 Journey 36G. The last time out the Sony Color Rearview monitor worked great. When I started to coach for this trip, no picture on the monitor. I tried turning the monitor on and off several times, no help. When I adjust the brightness I can see the monitor change. I removed the back of the dash and moved the camera connection from a to b & c connectors and still no picture. I went to the camera and removed the shroud and all looks good. I receive sound OK when I turn the volume up. The documentation shows the cable from the camera pulgs into a cable that runs to the front of the coach, I have not located this connection yet, must be behind the back wall the camera is mounted to.

My questons are, what is the warranty period for the rearview monitor system? The Sony material is less than clear. Where can I get it repaired? Any other ideas on trouble shooting?

Thanks,

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 Journey 36G. The last time out the Sony Color Rearview monitor worked great. When I started to coach for this trip, no picture on the monitor. I tried turning the monitor on and off several times, no help. When I adjust the brightness I can see the monitor change. I removed the back of the dash and moved the camera connection from a to b & c connectors and still no picture. I went to the camera and removed the shroud and all looks good. I receive sound OK when I turn the volume up. The documentation shows the cable from the camera pulgs into a cable that runs to the front of the coach, I have not located this connection yet, must be behind the back wall the camera is mounted to.

My questons are, what is the warranty period for the rearview monitor system? The Sony material is less than clear. Where can I get it repaired? Any other ideas on trouble shooting?

Thanks,

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The Sony rear view monitor system is supplied to Winnebago by www.Riverparkinc.com.
The Warranty is one year however I was able to get an exchange after the warranty period by dealing directly with them and doing the exchange myself.
After severl exchanges I found the problem was caused by a screw that Winnebago put in the corner windshield post on the driver side. That is where the cable comes down from the roof line to the dash. The screw had just nicked the wire and after few months of driving had grounded the cable.
If you can isolate whether it is the camera or the monitor you may get riverpark to send you a replacement. It will be a refurbished unit but it will be working.
Hope this helps.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info bsmith8. I will look at the cable today.

Did any of your parts need to be replaced after the grounded cable was found or just by fixing the cable fixed your problem?

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-28-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Tom,

You've probably already checked this, but by chance could you have bumped the input selector switch on the front of the monitor.

I still remember my son "fixing" the monitor in our Journey after I couldn't get it to work. I had pushed the input switch instead of the power switch.

Joe
Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine started with the video going in and out as we went down the road. A bump would turn it off and a bump would turn it back on. It finally went out all together. I believe it was like yours, with the image slightly visible.
Once I fixed the cable all was well. There had not been a problem with the monitor or the camera. They had replaced both. Monitor first then camera.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I checked my cable today and it looks good.
I have a selector switch with a b c. None work. I have moved the camera plug on the back of the monitor to all 3 selections and nothing.
I do not get any image, when I turn the brigntness I see the screen go lighter and darker but no image.
My next step is to remove the camera from the back and plug it directly into the monitor.

Let you all know what I find.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Tom
If you can figure out the wiring you can hook a camcorder to the monitor. There was a wiring diagram in the back of my monitor's owners manual.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just removed the camera and unplugged it from the cable that runs up to the front and connects to the monitor. The camera cable goes thru the back wall with a rubber groument and the connector is behind the wall. The hole in the groument is about 1/2" and the cable is about 1/4" and the water will run along the cable to the connector. The connection had 1 wrap of red vinyl tape. When I unplugged the camera the connection is all corroded and 1 of the pins broke off in the connector. This is a 6 pin mini connector. I cleaned the plug on the camera and plugged it directly into the monitor and it works fine except sound. I think the holes on the cable are corroded inside and I can't find anything small enough to clean them, but with 1 pin broke off. the connector's need to be replaced.
I will be on the phone in the am with Winnebago and Frontline.

Why would Winnebago use a vinyl tape that does not seal out moisture and not use a water proof tape like the instructions that came with the camera call for? Is this a cost cutting idea?

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I called River Park and they said the only way to replace the corroded connectors is to order the 60' cable that runs from the back to the front, and cut the ends from the new cable and solder them onto the camera cable and the cable at the monitor. They suggessted I contact Winny and see if they would provide the cable. I called Winny and they agreed the supply the cable. This should fix the problem

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 05-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I'm experiencing the same problem with my '04 Adventurer 35U monitor that Tom Williams reported; it is now a pale white screen. I checked the connection at the rear camera and it's fine. I pulled off the driver's side window pillar facing and could find no wires that had been scratched. You think a local RV service area would allow me to switch cameras to see if that's my problem?

Larry Smith
(Larry Boy)
2004 Adventurer 35U
2004 Honda Accord Toad
Larry Boy is offline   Reply With Quote