Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile Sometimes You Work With What You Have

On a three trip from Texas up into Missouri in our 2006 Voyage 33V, the front left-side panel (under driver's door and in front of slide unit) came loose from the lower stiffener and flapped while at highway speeds. It actually flexed enough that some tabs on it were outside the storage compartment door.

When I crawled underneath, I found that this stiffener was attached to the panel with what appeared to be double-faced tape or perhaps a mastic.

All I had with me was some silicone sealant and I wasn't sure if this would do the thrice or not. My wife said she had some wide, industrial strength Velcro and asked if I thought it could work. My thought was, "why not?"

So right now the panel is attached to the stiffener with Velcro! So far, so good. I'll know more by the time we get home in another 1,000 miles.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I carry duck tape and tie wraps, guess I will add HD velcro to my arsenal.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
On a three trip from Texas up into Missouri in our 2006 Voyage 33V, the front left-side panel (under driver's door and in front of slide unit) came loose from the lower stiffener and flapped while at highway speeds. It actually flexed enough that some tabs on it were outside the storage compartment door.

When I crawled underneath, I found that this stiffener was attached to the panel with what appeared to be double-faced tape or perhaps a mastic.

All I had with me was some silicone sealant and I wasn't sure if this would do the thrice or not. My wife said she had some wide, industrial strength Velcro and asked if I thought it could work. My thought was, "why not?"

So right now the panel is attached to the stiffener with Velcro! So far, so good. I'll know more by the time we get home in another 1,000 miles.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Truth is your fix may be better than before. And you can in stick it and re- stick it. You must admit without the wife it wouldn't of happened.
Great work!

Just added it to my list.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up An Update

We just arrived back to Houston from St Louis -- almost 900 miles, including the washboard I-67 in Arkansas. I am pleased to advise all that the Velcro held the whole way!

At this point, I do not plan to replace it with an adhesive.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have seen several motor homes with tape-attached panels.. I am a firm believer in the power of SCREWS but ... Well,,, My winter time barber has a motor home which lost a couple of panels.. Sure enough, taped on.

I LIKE SCREWS (And their nutty cousins, the Bolt).
Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

wa8yxm -

It is screwed at the top, so the panel won't fall off. This was just the stiffener on the lower part of the panel. When the adhesive (or tape) gave out, the panel flapped when on the highway. The Velcro only attaches the panel to the stiffener. Screws could have been used, but I really didn't want to drill through the side panel if I didn't have to.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my previous coach (2003 Horizon), I had the panel immediately behind the driver's side rear wheels, come loose at the bottom end. Literally, waving in the breeze as I was climbing the Montana Rockies. Pulled over on the side of the freeway, I managed to duct-tape it to the mud flap for the final 800 miles home.

Once home, I wedged the panel out a bit, sanded the metal support and inside of the fiberglass panel. I bought a tube of the strongest multi-purpose construction adhesive at home depot ($7 I think), and used that to re-glue the panel back onto the metal frame. Was still holding fine, 3 years later when we sold the rv.