Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Snapped front wheel skirt in half

While driving home from our last trip in the rain and considerable wind my passenger side wheel skirt snapped in half. I was lucky enough to find it on the roadside and retrieve it. Nice clean break so it shouldn't be to tough to repair but I can not figure out for the life of me how to get the other half off. I can't even guess how to get the molding trim piece removed. Any help would be mightily appreciated.

2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37g
AVBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bob, Perhaps others are having the same problem with the question; I cannot picture it in my head. You'd have to 'picture' it for me. (not that I would have the solution...)

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This thread may help.

Or this one.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty sure the fiberglass or plastic part is glued to the metal framing. At least it was on our 2006 Sightseer 29R.

Ours didn't break off, but the front half started to pull away from the metal. I cleaned up the old residue glue with acetone and then Ethernabond (sp?) double sided tape to glue it back on.

On your rig, you may be able to use a thin putty knife (flat blade) to slip between the fiberglass and the metal and carefully pry it off.

If this part is fiberglass and you are handy you can repair it using fiberglass cloth and resin on the back side to hold the pieces together. For the finished side you can use Bondo to fill in and clean up the crack. You may not get it as perfect as an auto or RV repair shop does, but with a little work and sanding, starting with 150-200 grit sandpaper and working to 600 grit you make it look pretty good. The hard part may be getting some paint to match the color of the fiberglass gel coat.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

i had issues 3 years ago between the fiberglass and framing structure. Used Loctite PL (try HD or Lowes) and have driven more than 30K, even over road through Alaska. No problems. Just be sure to clean surfaces well and let it cure at least 48 hours.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tim (tderonne) The first link shows exactly the same damage thats on my Winnebago Adventurer I could swear it was a pix of my MH if I didn't know better and the second link shows me what I need to know as to attachment points minus removing the molding but hey its start. I want to thank ever one who responded to my first post I've absorbed all the input and I'm sure it will all come in handy as I try to tackle this repair.

Again thanks, Bob
AVBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Team

AVBob, I removed you attempt at posting a photo in your "Test Photo" post because it was not correct.

You need to have the photo on your computer. Then use the Advanced editor ("Click Advanced") then you'll see an upload window open and you simply use that to select the image file you want to upload and click the upload button. There are instruction on the forum at:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...lp-349894.html
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Site Team

And, my 2017 Adventurer had this really bad rattling sound on the lower passenger side. I located the sound and found the upper left hand side of the panel above the passenger wheel was loose. While driving if the wind was just right that corner would vibrate and make a horrible sound.

We had it fixed by a dealer, but returned soon after. So, when we went to Winnebago in Iowa for factory service I had this on my list and they added a "L" bracket and screwed it down and then glued it to the panel. This eliminated the issue for us and we never lost the panel.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine was on the drivers side, the side that gets the most sun when stored. They just use double sided tape to hold it on, CRAZY! I installed L brackets as well. BTW, when on the road and this shows up, Gorilla tape does the job. And it almost matches the paintjob "creativepart" and I have.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote