Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2" tear on the side of the roof.. just above the bottom where it attaches to the coach. Our dealer said it isn't covered under warranty because it isn't a stress crack. He said we must have hit a tree branch stub or something... We can't recall doing that, but it is possible since we pass some poorly trimmed trees enroute to our daughter's house... where we store the motorhome.

Estimate to fix is $1500... they have to do it in quarter sections. Plus, they can't get us into the schedule until mid summer. We will be long gone for our summer roaming by then. The repair will have to wait until fall.

So.... what is a good way to seal this little crack so it doesn't become a big crack? Would a strip of Eternabond do the job? Would silicone sealer (or something like that) work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2" tear on the side of the roof.. just above the bottom where it attaches to the coach. Our dealer said it isn't covered under warranty because it isn't a stress crack. He said we must have hit a tree branch stub or something... We can't recall doing that, but it is possible since we pass some poorly trimmed trees enroute to our daughter's house... where we store the motorhome.

Estimate to fix is $1500... they have to do it in quarter sections. Plus, they can't get us into the schedule until mid summer. We will be long gone for our summer roaming by then. The repair will have to wait until fall.

So.... what is a good way to seal this little crack so it doesn't become a big crack? Would a strip of Eternabond do the job? Would silicone sealer (or something like that) work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Our homes on the road
Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I assume you are saying the tear is 2" long. What is the width of the tear? Is it on the side of the roof, the rounded part or actually on the top where it is flat?
If it kinda resembles what a knife would do to the roof, I would think the Eternalbond tape would work. You could put a bead of the self leveling dicor sealant on the tear itself and then cover with the tape after the sealant has kinda dried. If you put the tape on before the sealant dries, it might make the sealant spread and then the tape wouldnt get a good hold. You may not have to do anything further as far as repair.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Mike 100% if it was my rig I would follow his instructions to the letter. I wouldnt consider replacing a quarter of my roof from what is described as a tear. Good goin' Mike....... Bud

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I've got some Dicor sealant somewhere but can't find it. Is it silcone? If it is, my memory tells me that Eternabond will not stick to it - that is (if memory is working) its only enemy.

OK, just searched the Eternabond web site - finally found it:

Eternabond will not adhere to silicone. All silicone and silicone residue that runs along the edge of the Eternabond must be removed.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had a similar tear in the roof of my '97 Adventurer. Eternabond makes 6" X 6" repair patches, 2 to a package. I used one of those and it worked quite well. Just clean the spot with non chlorine brake cleaner and that patch will stick for sure.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We had a 3/4" rip in our roof, all I could figure is that we hit a tree branch also, but I didn't remember doing such a thing. I just filled it with some acrilik caulk and its been go to go. We haven't had any leaks or anything.2 years now.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hey Judy!!!

How you been!

Are we talking a small slit or a gaping gouge?

So sorry to hear about the problem.

Jeff

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

What I like to use if Lap Sealant by Dicor. It is easy to spread and fills in any gaps. My thought is to only have it in the actual tear to "fill" it in. Let it dry so it doesnt spread out and contaminate the area where the eternalbond tape will adhere to. I do not believe there is any silicone in this particular type of sealant. At least I see nothing on the tube that says that. As long as it only is in the tear, even if the eternalbond tape doesnt actually stick to the sealand, it will to area around it. Either use the patches as mentioned or the 4" roll that is available, depending on the size of tear. If you get the roll of 4" tape, it wont go to waste. Afterall, if you havent done the sides of your roof yet, you go want to do that eventually!!!!!!!!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The tear is like a knife slit... 2" wide, but just a jagged, thin tear. But large enough to be seen when standing on the ground. It is on the side just above the edge of the sidewall.

Thanks for all the good info. I agree, it just isn't worth getting a roof section redone. I just didn't want to do anything that would void the roof warranty.

We had our dealer check the edges last October, just to have it on record that everything was ok at end of our 1 yr warranty. It is going in again for a recall catalytic converter in a couple of weeks and I'll have it checked again.

Our homes on the road
Old 04-29-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey Buck and Jeff...

We are doing just great! Sorry we didn't get a chance to get together this winter.

The Sunflyer and I will be in Montery, CA June, July and September. Then in Newport,OR in August. Jim will be doing his usual commuting back and forth to Phoenix.. cranking up those frequent flier miles.

Let me know if you ever get out this way again... would LUV to see you!

Our homes on the road
Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: What you really want to do is to stop the tear from getting larger. A small drill at the end (say 1/16-inch) might be a good idea together with the Eternabond patch.. Good luck
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote