Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well after having many of my HWH jacks replaced do to not retuning all the way or taking 20 minutes to retract, I have gone the way that I use to take care of my Power Gear on my Fleetwood Bounder and was recomended by Power Gear. I started spraying my cyclinders when extended for any lenght of time (usually two or more days) with silicon spay. They work beautifully every time now. HWH says they don't recomend it because it can attract dirt and possibly hurt the seal. Well they were not working properly not spraying them even after having them replaced...so to have them work as designed keep the cyclinders and seals lubed with the silicon spray

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well after having many of my HWH jacks replaced do to not retuning all the way or taking 20 minutes to retract, I have gone the way that I use to take care of my Power Gear on my Fleetwood Bounder and was recomended by Power Gear. I started spraying my cyclinders when extended for any lenght of time (usually two or more days) with silicon spay. They work beautifully every time now. HWH says they don't recomend it because it can attract dirt and possibly hurt the seal. Well they were not working properly not spraying them even after having them replaced...so to have them work as designed keep the cyclinders and seals lubed with the silicon spray

Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with the HWH rear jacks on my 04 Meridian. I had to use a baseball bat and my tool box to pry them up. Upon contacting HWH they recommended new springs on my rear jacks. Since the coach is still under warranty, I did that and now they work fine. I like your idea of spraying silicone on the jacks and I don't think it would attract as much dust/dirt as WD-40. Have any others used silicon on their jacks?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

HWH replaced all my springs before starting to replace individual jacks. They only worked as they were suspose to for a short while...I really bellieve it the seals that drag on the cyclinder keeping them from retracting properly. Silicon spay takes care of that..its quite amazing to see the working properly again

Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use silicon spray but I only leave it on for a short time and then lightly wipe off any excess and that seemed to fix the long wait (more than a couple of minutes) for the jacks to retract.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I use silicone spray every Month or two. It has worked great everytime. Never had a problem with dirt sticking on the shafts. When the Silicone dries it shouldn't attract dust or dirt.

I spray mine when I get ready to leave a site, this way I'm sure pure Silicone gets to the seals. Never had a problem at all. I also use the spray on the slide guides always stays clean!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had one jack that seemed to be slower retracting than the other three. Also, I had one occurence of the 'jacks-down' alarm sounding when I was under way.

I sprayed all four with silicone and all work fine now.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Add me to the silicon spray group. I spray all the jacks the day before we break camp. Retraction time went from 15-20 minutes to something like 5 mins.
Also, I do the popout mechanisms. The big slide went from 30 secs down to 10, and a lot of creaking and shuddering went away.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote