Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slobber Tube

I have done a search for "slobber tube", but perhaps my question is too simple.

I have a N/T/M 04 Journey with the CAT 330. I can see nothing that meets my expectation of a slobber tube extension, so figure that modification has not been done. My basic question...where does one find the slobber tube?

Thanks.
rogo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Slobber tubes were to describe those on two stroke diesels ie 8V71, that really did slobber - but with more modern engines probably refers to the crankcase ventilation tube that originates on the "rocker cover". My 3126 Cat has one. More modern engines probably have closed crankcase ventilation systems so there is no slobber tube to worry about.

Problem with the open tubes is when they are combined with rear radiators so half the area gets gunked up with oily dust and the engine overheats on grades.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
I have done a search for "slobber tube", but perhaps my question is too simple.

I have a N/T/M 04 Journey with the CAT 330. I can see nothing that meets my expectation of a slobber tube extension, so figure that modification has not been done. My basic question...where does one find the slobber tube?

Thanks.
Her is a 2 page thread on this subject w/photo's http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/slob...be-149503.html for you to read.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Palehorse;

Yes, I have seen that thread and the photos of the slobber tube "filter" which is mounted at the end of the extension. I'm seeking the origin of the slobber tube itself...does it come from the valve cover?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

rogo88,
Yes, to answer your question, the slobber tube or, also known as a "blow-by" tube, does originate in and or, around the valve cover area. The tube, which on your engine, which is just like the engine in our '04 Itasca Horizon, if not extended, will exit about the middle length of the oil pan, almost at the pan gasket level, on the passenger side. Ours does have the extension which, is nothing, and I mean NOTHING but, a 1/2" pipe nipple, about 2" long and, some Gates Greens stripe 1" inside diameter hose, about 3.5-4' long. There's a couple of hose clamps to clamp everything together.
So, that's all there is to it.

Now, I could go on about this subject since I'd done a bit of studying on it but, suffice to say, if, you have the exact and correct amount of oil in you engine, (I'm assuming you have the small oil pan and it's a 19 quart change, with filter) then you should have very little blow-by that exits from that tube. But, extending it will surely help prevent the build up of oil mist that coats the charge air cooler and the surrounding edges of the exposed radiator fins.

Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up

Thanks, I'm sure I will be able to find and evaluate it now.
Ron
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

rogo88, we have the same year engine and I read on the forum some time ago about using a plastic jar with lid on the end of the slobber tube. I used a small peanut butter jar; drilled a hole in the middle of the lid to fit the slobber tube and then drilled several 1/2" holes around the perimeter of the lid. I slide the lid over the tube, used a hose clamp around the tube under the lid, then screwed the jar on. Has been that way for two years and so far so good. It lets the slobber tube "breath" but catches the oil blowby in the in the bottom of the jar; I just unscrew it to clean it.