Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slobber Tube

I had an overheating problem on my 330 Cat with a rear radiator. So I had Cat remove and clean my radiator and install a Slobber Tube which extends out the back and under the rear of my 04 Itasca. It did the job and I now run cool under very hot and hilly conditions. I have probably put about 10,000 miles on since this was done. My question is, does the Slobber Tube need to be cleaned out or changed after awhile? Does it clog up with exhaust junk? The only adverse thing about it is my toad seems to get alot of crud on it after a long trip.

Thanks for any advice.

Hank
Golf Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If they just extended it and it was done right there is no reason to clean it.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm new to the DP world and don't mean to hijack your thread, but what is the slobber tube for? Is it similar to a blow-by tube on old gas engines that was replaced with the PVC system?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I'm new to the DP world and don't mean to hijack your thread, but what is the slobber tube for? Is it similar to a blow-by tube on old gas engines that was replaced with the PVC system?
To answer your question yes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There are filters that can be bought to go on the end of the slobber tube, but best solution is to shorten the tube back to it's original length. Take a small plastic peanut butter jar drill a hole in the lid large enough to slide up over the slobber tube. Put a hose clamp below the lid so that there is about 1 1/2 inches of slobber tuber below it. Now use a soldering iron to melt some 1/2 holes around the upper rim of the jar, 4-5 will do it, you want to have more breathing area than the size of the slobber tube so there is no back pressure. Now take anything absorbent and place in the bottom of the jar. I use paper towel, some have used sweat bands, others have used a tennis ball. Screw the jar onto the lid, now you have a filter that will stop the rad from being plugged up and keep your toad clean. When you do a service just unscrew the jar, clean it out and replace the absorbent material. I get about a tablespoon of oil collected after 7-8000 miles.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
There are filters that can be bought to go on the end of the slobber tube, but best solution is to shorten the tube back to it's original length. Take a small plastic peanut butter jar drill a hole in the lid large enough to slide up over the slobber tube. Put a hose clamp below the lid so that there is about 1 1/2 inches of slobber tuber below it. Now use a soldering iron to melt some 1/2 holes around the upper rim of the jar, 4-5 will do it, you want to have more breathing area than the size of the slobber tube so there is no back pressure. Now take anything absorbent and place in the bottom of the jar. I use paper towel, some have used sweat bands, others have used a tennis ball. Screw the jar onto the lid, now you have a filter that will stop the rad from being plugged up and keep your toad clean. When you do a service just unscrew the jar, clean it out and replace the absorbent material. I get about a tablespoon of oil collected after 7-8000 miles.
Lyle, this sounds like it would do the trick. But, alot of smoke comes out of my slobber tube when at idle. It just seems like it would be to much for a small peanut butter jar to handle and that there would be a heck of alot more than a tablespoon of oil after all those miles. I will investiate further and maybe talk to Cat when I am there next time. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

X2 on the peanut butter jar, been using that for a couple of years. I clean out the jar about every time I'm under the MH, seldom really needs cleaning but I do it anyway. Sure helps keep the toad cleaner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
Lyle, this sounds like it would do the trick. But, alot of smoke comes out of my slobber tube when at idle. It just seems like it would be to much for a small peanut butter jar to handle and that there would be a heck of alot more than a tablespoon of oil after all those miles. I will investiate further and maybe talk to Cat when I am there next time. Thanks again.
If you have " a lot of smoke" coming out the slobber tube that may be an indication of some other problem. I don't want to either alarm, mislead or get into wild speculation of the cause but I would ask Cat about that. If they say it's "normal" given engine model and mileage then it's worth a try with the peanut butter jar. You can check it fairly frequently to start with and as time goes by you will become more comfortable with leaving it longer. If it does gather more oil than normal it won't matter because it will just overflow through the vent holes you put in it. If it does that in 10,000 miles it would be a concern.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Some where around here I have a Cat notice that suggest reducing the oil a qt or
two as a way to reduce or stop this.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I got this idea from another Cat owner.

Materials: Gatorade bottle, one steel wool pad, a hose clamp, a short length of wire, and two nylon ties

Tools: pliers, screwdriver, hole punch

I made two small loops from some wire and ran a hose clamp through them .... then I pushed the hose clamp around the slobber tube and tightened the clamp. I cut the bottom out of the Gatorade bottle and punched two holes in the side near the bottom with a hole punch. Then I fluffed up the steel wool pad so that it goes around the slobber tube and shoved the bottom of the Gatorade bottle over the steel wool ... then I used the nylon ties to fasten the bottle to the wire loops using the nylon ties ...

You periodically drain the bottle by unscrewing the cap and the goop runs out into a throwaway kitchen container.

I did not invent this ... but it is simple and works for me
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you so much skigramp! I used an old bicycle water bottle, the steel wood and zip ties. It's worked out really great. I may change it out for a black bottle though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130216_104347.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	33637   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00470.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	33638  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Make sure that your dipstick is properly calibrated and that your oil isn't overfilled (19qts for a C7 with the standard stamped-metal sump). CAT reduced the oil capacity for the C7 to reduce/eliminate blowby. If the oil is overfilled the engine will just spit it out the 'slobber' tube.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Ron, did you just attach this to the end of the Slobber Tube? Does the steel wool absorb the residue and how about the smoke which dirties the Toad?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The more I read about all of the upgrades owners have done here on the forum, the more I find that the previous owner must've been a full time member here as well.
The dip stick has been recalibrated and the slobber tube run out to the end of the trailer hitch. My main concern was preventing those nasty black dots of residue from coating our toad and tadpole when mounting the motorcycle or towing the SUV. So I've attached the "slobber filter" to the end of the tube and attached it to the rear sub-frame. I've only put a few short 60 mile trips on this mod and the steel wool seems to catch all of the gunk and I have very little smoke at idle. There is no oil inside the bottle yet. I lightly packed the wool inside the bottle around the tube as my diesel mechanic said that plugging that vent could place unnecessary pressure on the seals & gaskets.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

[ I lightly packed the wool inside the bottle around the tube as my diesel mechanic said that plugging that vent could place unnecessary pressure on the seals & gaskets.[/QUOTE]
Mr Miyagi. From the pictures in you previous post , I'll have to say you haven't got it right. The tube should run down from the engine to the catch can ; bottle ; through the lid, and 1/3 the way into the upright can, the top 1/2 of the can should be vented the bottom 1/2 is your catch area, capacity at least a pint. Empty and clean the can every oil change.No steel wool required.
The reason the can is vented lower than the tube is , if you forget to clean the can the oil level in the can can't block the tube and build up pressure in the crankcase.
Catching the drips from the tube keeps them off your toad.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I love this place! Thanks guys, we newbie are totally dependent on senior members such as yourselves to steer us in the right direction. The last thing we want is a failure caused by a mod designed to make things better.

Looks like I'll be "under the bus" this morning modifying my mod...The DW did save me a couple of plastic jars so I'm halfway there.

Thank you guys again!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I used a plastic water bottle as it fit my slobber tube perfect, I just took a hacksaw and put a 3/4"deep cross in the top of the bottle where the threads are so I could put a small hose clamp on it and it would pinch down and hold, around the top of the bottle on the tapered part I put a 1/4" drill in a pair of vise grips and heated it (blunt end of drill) and melted the holes around the top of it. I tryed drilling one and it is to thin and broke.Clean it when I do my oil once a year.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

new to the DP game

Thanks all you experienced people. I thought I was good and this reminded me of the toad. Yup ; got another project
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

The tube on our CAT comes down from the valve cover in front of the radiator/intercooler. Do you think it wise to move past this location towards the rear of the coach to mount the catch bottle?