Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have an '02 Itasca Suncruiser, and neither of the sliding pocket doors will stay open or closed while driving. I'm not sure what Winnebago's design consisted of, but... It appears there may be some type of retaining clip inside the track, and if I'm right the dealer wants an ungodly amount of money for them.

Anybody experienced a similar problem and what did you do to solve it ?

Thanks !

Mike
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an '02 Itasca Suncruiser, and neither of the sliding pocket doors will stay open or closed while driving. I'm not sure what Winnebago's design consisted of, but... It appears there may be some type of retaining clip inside the track, and if I'm right the dealer wants an ungodly amount of money for them.

Thanks !

Mike
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a plastic strap with a snap on the end of it to hold the sliders open while traveling. Works great with no problems.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have an '01. When I got it a couple of months ago, there was a strap that snapped to the door to hold it open, but it was broken. I made a replacement for it. It keeps it open. As long as the coach is level when it is parked, it will stay closed.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
jfb
Winnebago Camper

What are "sliding pocket doors"? What are they used for, where are they located? We have a 2005 Itasca.....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Doors ride on a track on ceiling and enter a pocket built into a wall between different rooms in your coach. Some MFG's use folding vinyl or wood in door openings between rooms.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem. I had them adjusted but still a problem. I fixed it with installing a strap with snaps on it. Camping world sells straps.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have a 01 Itasca with the sliding door. I have a nylon strap to hold the door open while under way. It works fine. I also slid a rubber (door stop wedge), under the nylon slide on the floor, this helps keep it aligned. I also put a large rubber snubber on the back door edge to help keep the door from slamming into the wall when opened. No problems since 01.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have pocket doors front and aft of the bathroom. Both have the plastic straps to keep them open, which we use while on the road. I installed some latches in the edge of both doors with twist locks on the bathroom side to give some sense of privacy when the room is in use. The outsides of the latches have slots that could be opened with a quarter or screwdriver if necessary. Got them at Home Depot, but Lowes has them too. I had to fit a thin piece (maybe 1/4 in.)of decorative wood to one side of each door to allow for the thickness required by the latch assembly. I also fit a decorative handle to facilitate opening and closing the doors from the bathroom side. There's not much to grab on the latch assemblies and I'm not sure how you're supposed to open the doors in their original state.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We have the strap also.
On ours the pocket door is a two piece design so it fits properly in two positions - bedroom slide in and out.
On ours the internal plastic latch holds the door in a partially closed position when the slide is in. By holding the back part of the door while exiending the door the front part comes out all the way instead of half way so it fits when the slide is out.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The Newmar doors have velcro strips on inside of pocket door and wall of pocket door opening. Some people were afraid of pulling door off track because they held so tight when new. After use they will free up and hold very well without straps on outside of door opening. If you know how to take door off track you could also do the same thing with commercial grade stick on velcro. Once you have it stuck to surfaces I would place a few staples thru velcro strips so they will stay when sticky drys out. Doors may have a curved metal or plastic around pin on ceiling track to release door from track.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

To keep our doors from sliding while we are driving I put an eye screw on each side of the wall and use a small, very small, bunjie. Works perfect. We have no straps on our two sets of sliding doors so I would guess there is a lock inside somewhere that doesn't work.

We have an 04 39K Journey.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When our coach was new, had same problem. La Mesa RV fixed it under warranty. You guessed it...with plastic straps that snap on one end to hold them open.
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I got annoyed with the plastic strap breaking and made a strap out of nylon webbing. Fabric stores sell a tool to put the snaps in just about anthing, cost about $10 including a small package of snaps.

Personally, I like the look of the black strap more than the tranparent plastic.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bruceh:
I got annoyed with the plastic strap breaking and made a strap out of nylon webbing. Fabric stores sell a tool to put the snaps in just about anthing, cost about $10 including a small package of snaps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is a nylon shoulder strap from an old carry bag. It's black and looks better than the transparent plastic one.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike in Florida:

Thanks !

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like many of the others, my Journey has a plastic strap to keep it from sliding around when on the road.

The last time I went out, one of the rollers came off one of my doors and proceeded to fall behind my refrigerator. Has anyone tried to buy a replacement roller? If so, I would appreciate knowing where to find one.

Thanks,

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I used an expandable heavy duty curtain rod with a color that matches the wood trim. I put it up high close to the ceiling where it is barely noticable to hold the doors open when traveling. A quick twist to expand or retract the rod is all it takes. Solved the problem with no drilling holes for straps.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
jfb
Winnebago Camper

We've always had the sliding doors on both a '92 Pace Arrow and a (now) 2005 Itasca which have been retained open with a little plastic strap and snaps. This "pocket door" stuff confused me until I finally posted the question. I'm always amazed how much I can find out by asking the right question....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I must report that our '05 Suncruiser has two pocket doors - neither of which is a problem.

A very positive latch is now built into the door and neither one has ever opened in our 44K miles traveled.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UPS 34:
We had the same problem. I had them adjusted but still a problem. I fixed it with installing a strap with snaps on it. Camping world sells straps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just called Camping World, after searching their website, but they couldn't direct me to the strap assembly. Does anyone happen to have the item number?

ALH
Okie Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote