Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sliding bedroom doors

I have a 2010 Tour 42AD with the rear beedroom and I am trying to find a solution to my doors sliding (more like slamming) when I am driving. The pins inside the door do not adequately keep the door in position either open or closed. I have tried it both ways. IT has been back to the dealer a couple of times but they just fix the door and send me on my way. Does anyone else have this issue and if so what did you do to fix it. I am looking for a fix that will not only hold them open when travelling but also look good an like it is from the factory. So A 2x4 block screwd to the flood during travelling is not the option I am looking for. If you have a picture of your solution even better. Attached are some pictures of the issue. The scratch in the door is from the lower pin that keeps the two doors parallel at the bottom. When it slams the pin comes out of the slot in the bottom of the door and scratches the adjoining door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150095.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	38707   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150096.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	38708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150097.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	38709   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150098.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	38710  

Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My door has a strap that attaches to the wall on either side of the door. It's factory, but I don't like that it's hard to un-snap, may replace with velcro.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My shower doors are held open with a strap and a snap. It works pretty well. That may be a solution here, but these doors are heavy and I am afraid it might rip the snap out of the wall. As you can see in the pictures the wall is only on one side of the doors. Maybe a snap and a strap top and bottom might be strong enough. ????
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I supplement the strap with a bungee.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
My door has a strap that attaches to the wall on either side of the door. It's factory, but I don't like that it's hard to un-snap, may replace with velcro.
x-2 on the strap but I am glad it does not come apart easy.....I know it will stay put.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use a long curtain rod that I put one end on the sliding doors (open) and the opposite end where the doors contact when closed.

Quick, easy, cheap and stops the doors from moving.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

When new, our coach had the same problem with the pocket doors ...not catching in the catches thus banging around when underway. I'm not sure if the newer coaches use the same mechanism or not but when we took it in for the dealer to perform the initial punch list items, the tech told us he put a shim between the catch plate and where it's attached essentially lowering the hole slightly where the pin catches to secure the door in place. We haven't had problems with it since. The doors will stay put in both the open position and the closed position while underway.

Here's a thread where a guy with a Newmar had the exact same problem and describes his fix. I have no idea whether Newmar uses the same hardware as Winny but it may give you some insight of what you might try to resolve your problem:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2012...nt-158077.html

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote