Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Angry Slides not working

This is very difficult to post.

We had the MH in the shop about a week ago because the street side slide was making a screaming banshee sound when being retracted. It was fixed as nothing more than a broken bolt in a roller, and fortunately it was under warranty because the spent a good many hours pulling the slide bar out.

So, we stored it for a week, and a few days ago parked it in the driveway to get ready for a future excursion. So it's Saturday, and we decide to load some things into it. Now, to make it easier to get things to the back closet, we typically extend the 19 foot slide (curb side) about a foot to a foot so we can walk around the edge of the bed.

No go! The slide gives an error code, "park brake."

Never having that happen before I start the engine, release and reset the parking break.

No go! Slide will not extend. This is not good. We do want the slide out after we stop for the night. A call to Winnebago results in a phone message that they are open 9-5 Monday-Through Friday, or something like that.

A call to the local dealer resulted in the on duty technician not being able to identify the problem.

Okay! A call to Freightliner. They gave me an 800 number for after hours tech support. The technician called me back but he was at a loss. He was a mechanic and thought the call dealt with the parking brake light.

Oh! I did engage the transmission, with and without the parking brake on, both in revers and forward, then neutral, and reset the brake. No Go!

I told Earlene, come on, I'm going to run up the road to make sure any moisture gets blown out. So off we go for about a 20-25 mile ride. We returned to home city and I took it to the city RV Dump station where I new I had a pretty flat area to check everything out. I pulled in, dropped the leveling jacks to make sure, unlocked the Street Side Slide, pushed the button, and blink, blink, blink blink - constantly and the light was for Park Brake. No Go.

Let me see what the street slide does, unlocked the slide, pushed the button, and blink, blink, blink. About this time Earlene is standing beside me. She points to this little device, just below the slide-out buttons that has a key in it. It is set to "off" and she said, "This may be a stupid question." To which I replied, "Go ahead."

And she says, pointing at the key, "Could that have anything to do with it?"

The key she is pointing to is the Master Slide Out Lock, and it is set to off, meaning that no matter what I do, the slids will not go out until that key is turned to on. The dealer set it that way before I picked it up. I never, never use that key.

Earlene said I owe her a very good dinner.

Problem solved. And, never underestimate the wisdom of a woman, even if they are wrong most of the time. (Hee hee!)

Now you know why it was difficult to post. I have to admit my own stupidity.

I am going to write in the manual supplement, a reference to the )*(&! key.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wayne -- yep, the darn key has to be in the "On" position to operate the slides kudos to the bride for observing and asking 'Why ??'. I don't understand how you were able to operate the slides before this incident with the key in the "Off" position? Don't you just hate it when you have to look them in the face and say 'Thanks Dear'!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John,
I never turn that key off. I leave it in the module but it is always in the "on" position. The service technician at the dealer turned it to off. In my moment of stupor, I just never even thought to give it a glance.

"Thanks dear?" Should I have said that?

Hey, the 17th will be 49 years for us, I think she is getting used to me by now.

Edited: And I re-read the instruction manual and there is absolutely no mention in the written word about the "master lock" in regards to park brake light on the mocule blinking. But it's there now, penned in.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

THANKS for the useful post, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for sharing your problem with all of us. I am glad the solution was the key and nothing more. This is a good reminder for me. We recently purchased our Destination (our first DP) and operating the slides seems much more daunting than in our Adventurer. I have been waiting for a deployment or retraction problem, but so far so good, but this will be added to my personal check lists!

Our first trip out in the new camper was just after Christmas. We were leaving the campground on New Years Day. I pulled out of the site and drove a few hundred feet to a level spot to attack the TOAD. I stopped, put on the parking brake and SHUT OFF THE ENGINE. We hooked up the TOAD got back in and tried to start up but nothing happened. No battery clicks no engine trying to start just the engine, but no sound when I turned the key. So after 15-20 min of frustration I called Coach Net. They could not diagnose anything and were setting up a tow to the nearest dealer. Needly to say this was about to spoil our maiden voyage and trip down to FL! I am looking over the manuals and my wife said is it in PARK. I told her we did not have a PARK setting, but that the transmission had to be in neutral which Coach Net asked. I looked again at the transmission selector and it read 6N which I assumed meant 6 gears and I was in neutral. I pushed the neutral button and it now read NN, I turned the key and it started up immediately, I was pleased to say the least and we were on our way.

Safe travels
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Women - can't live em and can't live wothout em' - good post.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wayne, Earlene should have thumped you one on the head fror making her tell you how to make the machine work. I imagine that she marked that day on her calendar so that she can remind you of this "mistake" often.

Ken
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ken,
I'm sure she will be telling stories around the camp far

Marty&Pat,
If that has the 19 foot slide on the curb side, it can be, well, let's say been there done that.
I have had to bring the slide in using the override function. There is a little hole you can stick a ball point pen or paper clip end into and it will go into manual mode. Then you can bring it in using both the in/out buttons. You must move them only a little at a time or simultaneously until they are all the way in. Then they will re-sync and you should be good to go.

Just be "fearless!" (LOL)
Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne, I hope I never need to recall the fix!! But glad to know it works. We have two slides on the drivers side which is virtually the entire side and a small BR slide on the curb side, so slightly different arrangement I guess than yours.

Safe travels

Marty
Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Seems I recall a similar situation when your refer and some other things wouldn't work because of some master switch. I do remember that correctly-don't I?

You need to let Earlene do all the pre-trip inspections from now on... of course that's just my opinion.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

No! You have me confused with some one else, for sure.

Read my soon to post about tires.