Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

slides & jacks won't work

Jacks went up and won't work . Front slide stuck out and I can't wnch it in. Have followed all the directions but it will not budge.
I think the motor is burnt out but I need to get the slide in to get to a dealer. I'm up in W. Yellowstone and not any help in the area.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

sorry to hear of your problems. Firstly, if you have power to your jack panel, and still no noise from the pump, crawl underneath, and make sure you have power to the solenoid on the pump. Mine came loose and would only work intermittently. Tightened it up and I was good to go.

If that doesn't work, and if you have HWH slides, you should see the control valves opposite side of the hydraulic tank. The top four valves with T handles are for the jacks. If their already up, more the better. Beneath those valves are the two for the front and rear slide. Open the valve, then try and winch it in, should work. I have heard that the LR slide can be tough to manually retract. Good luck.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just got my rig two weeks ago so I don't know how much help I can give. During the walkthrough the salesperson turned off the ignition while the service guy (Gary) was showing me the jack operation. Gary got upset because he said the jacks could freeze up and could only be reset by disconnecting the power to reboot them. Maybe the coach being off level has the slide-out wedged. Also what about the slide locks? Have you checked to see they are working and unlocked? You may have done this but that is all I know. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Seeing the age of your coach I suspect you are a very experienced RV owner and have gone through all the basics required to operated your system.
You did not say if your pump could be heard running. I had the same problem however I could hear the pump run but nothing would move. The final answer was a failed “shuttle valve” on the HWH system. Of course I didn’t find that out until a week later when I got home and could investigate further.
I suggest you be very careful attempting to manually bring in your slide. Follow the directions in your manual and at the HWH web site and insure you have opened the appropriate T-valves if it’s a HWH system.
My manual retraction system for the LR slide was ruined by someone attempting to retract it manually without releasing the valves.
If your system is HWH it most likely has a closed pressure loop to both the extend and retract side of the cylinders and those loops must be open to manually retract the slide. If you don’t open the valves you may strip the threads to the manual retract system and still not move the slide one inch!
Of course I didn’t know my manual retraction system had been ruined until I needed it. I ended up buying two long threaded rods along with nuts washers and clamps to jury rig a system to get the slide in. It took DW an myself about 90 minutes using wrenches at each end of the slide to get it in but we finally got home.
If you have a HWH system go to their website and email them with the problem tonight. I found them very responsive to email trouble shooting.
Best of luck. At least it’s probably cool in Yellowstone.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It is an HWH, ther motoor is not running, To retract it they give you a winch like on a boat trailer. On my unit the T handles are for the jacks only. There isa 1/4 inch socket for the 2valves that operate the room slides. Thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Jacks went up and won't work . Front slide stuck out and I can't wnch it in. Have followed all the directions but it will not budge.
I think the motor is burnt out but I need to get the slide in to get to a dealer. I'm up in W. Yellowstone and not any help in the area.
Is your front seat all the way forward, ? and there is a wire under seat that could be loose, happened to us
plgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Give HWH a call in the morning. They are helpful beyond belief and may even be able to diagnose your problem. Last summer while getting ready to leave a camp ground my slides would try to come in, move a couple of inches then stop. The jacks wouldn't do anything either. When I'd try to lower the jacks they would start to retact instead. Called HWH (left a message and it as 3-4 hours before they got back to me) but diagnosed my problem as a bad shuttle valve and instructed me how to get the jacks up and the rooms in. Shipped a new valve to me (about $63) at the next campground we would be at, problem fixed.
Good luck, just hope you're not on a tight travel schedule.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

With me my chassis battery had dropped below 12.6v and slides wouldn't move...Try depressing the Battery Boost switch for a half a minute and then while still depressed push the slide retract button..as you probably know make sure both are pressed at the same time.
nextcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Need help in this area.

2004 Vectra, Right reat jack want retract,

WHER IS THE VALVES LOCATED WITH THE T HANDLE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO OPEN 4 TURNES TO GET IN TO RETRACT.

Thanks.

Curtis Tanner
mannt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

On my 06 horizon its under the inside middle step. There is a single nut to remove if you feel under the lip of the step. Remove the step and it exposes the resevoir and solendoids.
nextcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about the Vectra, but on our Journey they are located below the entry steps. Access is by lifting the top of the second or third step. There is a nut just below the leading edge of these steps which you remove to allow the top of the to hinge upward.

Hope this helps.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote