Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slides

As anyone had a problem with Winnebago slides coming lose? I have a 2012 33C and the rear lower corner of the passenger side slide will pop or cheap out about 1 inch every time I drive. Took it back to the dealer who replaced the rear slide motor but problem still occurs. Took it to a new local Camping World, they could not reproduce the problem with a 20 minute test drive, the problem is there it just did happen in there 20 minute test drive, I have pictures and delivers it to them with the rear corner out a full inch. They don't seem to know what to do now, I ask them to call Winnebago and work it out because it is not yet a full year old so it is under warranty. I'm concerned that I'm not going to get a proper resolution.
Acropilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Keep pinging on your dealer to get it fixed. I suspect that it is a simple issue like being low on fluid or a leaky valve but stay on them while you're under warranty.

If it doesn't get fixed this time, you should probably call Winnie customer service and make sure they get it noted that this is an on-going problem.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Slides will creep out with loss of hydraulic pressure. So you have a leak in the system somewhere. Bad solenoid, failing pressure hose, failing equalizer, low fluid.
I have had all of the above happen over the years...an my slide does move out from the bottom of the slide...with the loss of pressure in the system. Lucky for me the slide locking system keeps everything in place while moving.

Keep after the dealer to fix your issue.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

You have a new coach STAY AWAY FROM CAMPING WORLD!! Stick with a Winnie dealer. If one Winnie dealer cannot fix it try to go to another if possible but stay with a Winnebago shop, its under warranty.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you have the Powergear system, best to make an appointment with a dealer. My driver side slide moves out about 1 1/2 inches after traveling. An email from Powergear said same. If mine doesn't get worse I will wait till I get back to AZ in Jan and have 3t's fix it.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My guess is that you have electric slides rather than the older hydraulic ones so there are no fluid issues involved. My suggestion is you call customer relations at Winnebago and describe what is happening and advise them that it was not properly repaired by the dealer. They record all problems identified against the serial number of your coach and when they were identified.You will then be on record with an issue well within the warranty period of your coach regardless of whether or not the next service center is able to properly repair the problem. They might even tell you what the problem is caused by as it is highly unlikely you are the first to experience such a problem. While they will never admit to "common problems", you are sure to get it resolved to your satisfaction eventually.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Slide creep

Clarification camping world is a Winnebago dealer but not the dealer I purchased from . The dealer I purchased from is 1.5 hours away and the new CW is 10 minutes.

The slid is electric

I now seem to have CW attention after a visit to tell them that a 20 minute test drive was not the resolution I expected the I sent them pictures of the slide 1 inch out (bottom rear corner) . They are now talking with Winnebago and pursuing a fix. I've been dealing with this issue since the first month of purchase. I'm looking forward to a resolution and will post results in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have used CW extensively since I switched to Winnebago. It generally takes repeated trips to get a problem addressed correctly. My conclusion is that, at least at my CW, is that the technicians are great but the service writiers are most uneven. I got shuffled off to one who is terrible! I finally said let me talk directly to the technician -- that resulted in all problems being fixed to my complete satisfaction in half a day. Plus, when I picked up the coach, the tech came out and explained how he had resolved things.
Even though things got fixed, the whole experience soured me on that Camping World. Too much "excess stomach acid."
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Acropilot, Keep us posted on the resolution. I have a 2011 33c and my rear passenger side slide is electric like yours. I've not had the problem you're experiencing...yet. I've got electric "pin" locks for the other two hydraulic slides, but not for the electric one. I hope it's an easy fix for you. For the record, we've only had minor problems with the coach and bought it new one year ago.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Acropilot,
Please take bobmac's advice and call owner relations. You need to let them document the problem now; just in case you end up going to 3T's in Arizonga or Winnebago in Iowa. (I don't know which is closer for you.) You may be well out of your warranty period but they typically honor it if documented. In fact, I would just tell them you want Winnebago to fix it next July when you come to their Grand National Rally (GNR). You get to visit Forest City, go to GNR, and get your slide (and anything else) fixed all at the same time.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination and the slides are Kwikee and the are electric. The problem solution was the brake system on mine. There is a lever on each motor. One slide I have two motors as the slide is over 21 feet long. The rear was the culprit. Found that the little lever that is used to "brake" the slide was not engaged fully. In my case the brake slide switch has to be in the counterclockwise position. I moved it fully clockwise and then back to fully counterclockwise and it helped the problem. Check your owners manual on the position of the brake switch on the electric motor.

Happy trials.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

By Thursday our RV will be 3 weeks in the shop and they still can not determine why the one of our slides corner creeps out 1 inch while driving.. They are talking to Winnebago but still nothing yet. Can't imagine why it is so difficult to diagnose but I sit and wait and communicate hoping it will be fixed before our next trip in 2 weeks.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropilot
By Thursday our RV will be 3 weeks in the shop and they still can not determine why the one of our slides corner creeps out 1 inch while driving.. They are talking to Winnebago but still nothing yet. Can't imagine why it is so difficult to diagnose but I sit and wait and communicate hoping it will be fixed before our next trip in 2 weeks.
Finally the slide creep is fixed, it only took 5 weeks! At winnebago's instructions the camping world I'm using tested the slide twice and said it was ok. Then winnebago, running out of ideas, said to order a new motor. While the motor was on order I picked up the coach for a weekend trip and tested the motor brake myself according to Power Gear service instructions from their website, The brake failed the test, this test is simple, just use a tongue wrench set to 60ft lbs and try to move the slide with the manual coupling. Well, I used only 40 ft lbs and the slide moved easily. Don't know what test camping world was using but it sure was not this one.

So now the new motor and brake assembly comes in, I return the coach for installation and guess what, it doesn't need replacement because the tech finally finds the problem. The brake was not properly setup in the installation of the first replacement motor.

Bottom line, after much communicating and waiting the slide brake is holding. I'm sure glad the slide has a safety catch, I would not want to rely on the brake alone.