Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slideouts and Leveling stopped working

I went to level my unit the jacks went down and started leveling but then they stopped and then retracted. At the same time the driver side slideout stopped when I tried to extend it. After that I couldn't retract the slideout and the leveling jacks won't extend. I can here the solenoid click but nothing happens. I checked the cabling on the pump up front but didn't find anything obvious. I was able to pull the slide in by using the winch. I couldn't get the slideout in with winch alone but when I used the retract button for the slideout I heard the motor activate and the slideout started coming in a little then stop until I cranked on the winch again. I repeated this procedure until the slideout was all the way in. I don't what to check next or if I need to take it to a shop.
matrix14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Try checking your "house" batteries for charge condition and loose or corroded connections. Also, if you are not running the engine while leveling or activating slides, do so it gives you elevated voltage.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Make and model of the coach will help us. Do you have an HWH hydraulic system in your coach?

If so I would suspect the 12v electric motor on the hydraulic pump. You can test voltage to the motor and see if it's getting 12v when someone hits the button. Depending on which model of hydraulic system you have the motor can be easily removed and inspected/repaired/replaced.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Its a 2000 winnebego adventurer 35u
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix14 View Post
Its a 2000 winnebego adventurer 35u
Ok so you may start by checking the voltage to the electric motor on the main hydraulic pump. The motor likely has a post/terminal on the side with a heavy gauge wire connected to it.

With a volt meter, check the voltage to this terminal with an assistant attempting to extend a slide or extend a leveling ram. Have the assistant push and hold the extend button while you verify voltage.

If voltage goes to +/- 12 when the extend button is pushed you likely have a problem inside the motor. I have a Suncruiser 35U with a similar HWH hyd system. A few years back mine started acting up just like yours. I determined it was the motor. The motor comes off very easily, just two 5/16" screws on the end of the motor. Once off the motor comes apart very easily. When I pulled my motor apart the internal ground on the Stator inside the motor had come lose. I reconnected the stator ground wire and the motor has been flawless ever since.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It may be your parking break switch. If the parking brake is not set, or your parking brake switch fails, your jacks and slides will not operate.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Chuck at Stuart's Service was a valuable detail source for how to repair HWH products. I purchased replacement parts in the past from him. FYI (1-574-262-0225) and he assisted me in the trouble shooting process. Additionaly I have had parts purchased or rebuilt at the HWH facility. FYI (1-800-321-3494 or 1-563-725-3396).

Chuck should be able to assist you and provide parts as needed.

Save Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Slides and jacks

You have had a coach for quite awhile i guess. So putting the jacks down and slides out at the same time has always worked. Not running engine at the same time was not mentioned by you. With most gas they advise to run it. It sure sounds like what happened when a salesman was putting out slides for me without running the engine on what was clearly a weak battery. This being eliminated for you it sounds like bad ground and or old batteries.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoo View Post
You have had a coach for quite awhile i guess. So putting the jacks down and slides out at the same time has always worked. Not running engine at the same time was not mentioned by you. With most gas they advise to run it. It sure sounds like what happened when a salesman was putting out slides for me without running the engine on what was clearly a weak battery. This being eliminated for you it sounds like bad ground and or old batteries.
I don't think he meant that he was pushing the jacks down and slide out buttons at the same time. Seems to me he was saying that the jacks quit working followed immediately by the slides not working.

As you mentioned he should have the engine running when he is trying to operate the hydraulic system. I have a feeling he understands this. His symptoms do sound like a bad ground or power wire to the hydraulic system.

Hopefully we hear more from the OP soon.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Good point. Hard to imagine auto level at sime timas slide goes out.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Its a 2000 winnebego adventurer 35u. Jacks and slide out are both operated by the hydraulic system on this year/model. Only motor is the hydraulic pump. Electric valves control the hydraulic fluid. (These valves have manual screws (little T handles) to open them, so you can push or pull the slides in. (Then close the valves to keep the slide in place.) A very low battery or bad connections can cause these problems.

No auto level as I remember.

OP can download the manual from Winnebago Ind. if he does not have a copy.
GPWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the input. The motorhome is at remote place so I haven't been to get to it yet. I hope to go on Monday try all your suggestions. I keep you updated.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Also check the fluid level in the pump reservoir.
With the engine running, leveling is first done side to side, then front to back. After leveling is complete, and engine still running, slides are then individually deployed.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix14 View Post
I went to level my unit the jacks went down and started leveling but then they stopped and then retracted. At the same time the driver side slideout stopped when I tried to extend it. After that I couldn't retract the slideout and the leveling jacks won't extend. I can here the solenoid click but nothing happens. I checked the cabling on the pump up front but didn't find anything obvious. I was able to pull the slide in by using the winch. I couldn't get the slideout in with winch alone but when I used the retract button for the slideout I heard the motor activate and the slideout started coming in a little then stop until I cranked on the winch again. I repeated this procedure until the slideout was all the way in. I don't what to check next or if I need to take it to a shop.
Were you trying to put the slide out out the same time you were putting the jacks down?
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide, slideout