Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have had problems with my slideouts leaking from early in my ownership of our 2005 Voyage. After several attempts the dealership finally got the l/r slide free of leaks (so far). Recently, I dropped something on the floor beside the bed and when I looked down I noticed a tiny ray of light in the corner of the slide. When I got down and the floor to look closer, I looked through the metal grill under the bed, there was also light under there as well! It looked like about a 12" or so space along the slide rail. No wonder it is so sold in there in the winter time! I've got to take this thing back to the dealer again.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have had problems with my slideouts leaking from early in my ownership of our 2005 Voyage. After several attempts the dealership finally got the l/r slide free of leaks (so far). Recently, I dropped something on the floor beside the bed and when I looked down I noticed a tiny ray of light in the corner of the slide. When I got down and the floor to look closer, I looked through the metal grill under the bed, there was also light under there as well! It looked like about a 12" or so space along the slide rail. No wonder it is so sold in there in the winter time! I've got to take this thing back to the dealer again.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

marbilupton

We had some light intrusion problems at the bottom corners of our bedroom slide for the first few years ...sounds very similar. We finally got a pretty good fix from a dealer and left it at that because we had no water intrusion at all at that point. Looking at the slide rail, there is a "seal" insert on the outside that should fill the "hole" around the slide rail on the underside of the slide in the motorhome wall. Check to be sure it is there, and that it fills the hole.

Suddenly our bedroom slide started leaking at both bottom corners about 6 months ago! ...when the coach was nearly 4 years old!!! And while I was fussing with the water leaks at both bottom corners, one night the DW compained of water dripping on her side of the bed from above!

After lots of experimenting and some communication with Winnebago Owner Relations, I think I got the leak at the bottom corners resolved. It seems to have been as simple as putting a light bead of clear silicone caulk along the top edge of the horizontal metal strip running along the bottom edge on both ends of the slideout. My theory is that 1) the full body paint finally cracked enough to allow water behind the strip; and 2) we were not quite level AND a recent slide adjustment tipped the slide slightly different than before, and the water easily "flowed" to the inside. It was between metal layers so easily got past the seals.

I addressed the top leak just as I had cured a similar leak earlier on the front slide. The wind was at just the right angle to push rain well under the slide topper. Again, our degree of level and the recent slide adjustment caused the water to flow to the inside and it found a way under the "flip" seal to the seam between the slide roof and the inside molding. With the slide retracted, I removed the wood trim across the top of the slide. Then, with the help of a small mirror, I reached a caulking gun onto the top of the slide and caulked the inside edge roof seam from end to end.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I thought when my slide seals were changed to the new double seals that would solve all my problems. Right! I did finally find the remainder of the leaks, and the fix was to remove the slide awnings, clean, and siliconed all the seams on the roof of the slides.

I can now stay dry even in a heavy rain.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I noticed on my new Itsaca Sunstar some light in the lower left corner of the rear slide. I will keep my eye on it. Thanks.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

bjbkkb (interesting name!!!)

Document, document, document with your dealer by requesting it be repaired and making sure it is listed on service tickets. That will ensure you can continue to get "warranty" service if you have leak problems after the initial warranty period is expired.

Like Pat, I have caulked the inner seam on the top of both my slides and cured some bad problems. I was able to do the inner seam of the bedroom slide from inside with the slide retracted, but didn't have enough room above the slide trim to do the front slide from the inside.

To update my September comments, I CONTINUE to have occasional problems with leaks at the front bottom front corner of my front slide, and bottom rear corner of the bedroom slide. I am now thinking the water is traveling along the bottom of the slide to get past the seal. I think it has to do with how level the coach is at any given location, with the water trickling toward the ever so slightly lower side.

I'll think I have it conquered, and then a couple months later when we are parked in a new location, we will have damp carpet again!!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

AFChap, bjbkkb are my initals and my wife's initials :-) I assume you are an Air Force Chaplain? We are Navy and currently stationed at SOCOM on MacDill AFB. Great idea about the documenting. I will be sure to do that. Thanks.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I retired from the Air Force Chaplain Service 1 Nov 2005. We haven't made it to MacDill yet in the motorhome, but I did get to visit there a couple of times on TDYs.