Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Slideout leak on 2005 Vectra

We have discovered a leak in out "new to us" 2005 Vectra 40 AD. It is in the buffett slide on the passenger side. Sometimes when it rains water will leak out of the light fixture in the middle of the slide. We cannot find how this is happening and it doesn't happen every time it rains. The slide has a slide cover over it so how is the rain getting to the center of the slide? Treasa
Old 11-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Smile

My motorhome leak from the top of the slide. I raise the driver side so the water will run off the slide. (top of the slide not the awning)
Also check the seal.
rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2008 Vectra and had similar issues -- do you have a black plastic covering in the overhead compartment? If so, sound like the slide-out lock assembly is not draining and the backed up water is entering the cabinet light fixture.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

In my case the problem is the slide topper is too short. It does not extend hardly past the end of the slide and the water runs back under it. Also, the awning seam where the metal cover is attached leaks some and adds more water to the slide topper. If you stand on the passenger seat with the slide partially out you will see the issues. The hole for the light is not sealed in any way.

An easy answer is to make sure the coach is tilted very slightly to the right and back when setting up, and especially when getting ready to close the slide after rain.

I will be getting new slide toppers of heavier material and slightly longer this year.

Hope this helps,

Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had a similiar water leak issue and found the problem was as ChiefJohn advised above. The drain on the slide lock was clogged and allowed a small amount of water to leak onto the top of the cabinet and out through the light fixture. I took it to a "professional" to fix because it entailed removing the slide topper to properly access the opening. Apparantly the "professional" attempted to unclog the drain by pushing a screwdriver into the opening on the side of the slide tearing the rubber boot. The next time it was not a small leak but a flood. Took it back and after removal of the boot the repair facility assumed responsibility and replaced it. No leaks since.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. We will look into these. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Your passenger side slide probably has the X type system that opens and closes the slide if so the the top of the slide does not actually seal against the outer wall like the drivers side slide does the way that is seals is that thre is a small piece of metal trim atached to the top of the slide that is supposed to seal aginst the top slide wiper seal. If your slide topper is original it may be allowing water to seap through and lay on your slide and if the coach has a slight port list (lean to th left) then it can find the weak point in the seal at the point where the trim seats against the wiper seal and leak in and then it will find the screw without the sealant on it and leak into the slide ceiling and leak out of the light.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Forgot to include in my response that I had the slideout locks disabled and the openings in the top of the slideouts that allowed water to enter have been sealed up. We have not had an issue with our slide-outs and it's been approximately 4,000 miles since the modification.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mike & Pat - After many attempts to solve this same leak including paying Winnebago a couple of times and paying an independent service facility a couple of times we discovered exactly what you said. The last fix a few months ago they caulked the piece that the seal butts against. That seemed to work, but now we have a situation where the seal apparently doesn't always flip. We can tell when this happens because we can see sunlight on our ceiling. We move the slide in/out until no light comes through.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I used eternabond tape to do mine. and it has never given me any more problems.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slideout