Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Sagging Slide Problem

Hello all -

We had the same situation with a 2004 Vectra (previous coach). I'm attaching a link to a Youtube video the shows what we did to fix the problem.

The basic problem (for us, anyway) was that the plastic triangle slide pieces and worn down so much that they didn't give enough elevation, with one end being worse than the other - and all of the symptoms that everyone describes here.

I ordered the "triangles" from HWH who shipped them right out. It's a tedious job and a little dirty (though not as dirty as shock absorbers!) but possible to do. The hardest part is fidgeting with the little triangles to work them in through the small space that is created....but I am here to tell you that it can be done and fixed our problem. If I can do it, then persons of limited ability can!!! The part that I had to figure out was the jack to support the slide - that is essential for the procedure to work as the openings aren't big enough if the ram is bearing the weight of the room.

Just my .02 and good luck should this be the problem. You can look at the little slide triangles without removing anything and pretty much tell if they are worn and have grooves in them. For all that I know, others may have different problems producing the same symptoms. At least this one you can see before tearing things apart so that you know it needs to be done before disassembling just to find that they are ok.
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I have a similar problem except my kitchen end drops when fully extended. it fine when retracted. It leaves about 1/2" open at the top so the seal doesn't stop rain if we are not leveled. also lets bugs in and allows heat to escape. seems like there is some type of ledge below the kitchen area, that the kitchen is supposed to rise up to when extended. I think I have to remove the entire slide out beyond the lip ledge to repair.
I have never been able to fix the lower elevation when extended. Has anyone ever seen this problem and found a corrector?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #23

HWH "Storemore" Flat Floor Maintenance - Kit #Part# RAP91028 + #RAP91975

When your side starts to "giggle" on the way in or out... When your paint lines don't match up... It's high time you perform some slide out maintenance and my time has come.

My 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD needs two sets HWH plastic kit parts replaced. They call these bearings, but they are really just just a special type of plastic the ram slides over.

My slide works fine, but I can see one of the pads are cracked. (See picture.) And it's time to replace those plastic triangles too.

I'm in New Orleans traveling though Houston to Arizona and then north to Montana. Has anyone had personal experience with this repair and used a RV shop along this route they can refer me to?

I have watched that video several times and with additional information on the HWH website, I think I can pretty much do this job myself, but I don't want to and I don't carry any floor jacks with me on the road. So thank you for your referrals and repair tips if you have any.

HWH Flat Floor Slideout Kit: Plastic Triangles and shims, plus:
Part# RAP91028

Crushed Bearing Pad Part# RAP91975
(Get the black pads if possible. They are stronger.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sliideout Kit #RAP91028 Parts List.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	178324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearing Pad (Crushed) Need Part#RAP91975 $35ea.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	178326  

Name:	Flat Floor Slideout Triangle 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	178328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sliideout Kit #RAP91028 Diagram.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	178329  

Name:	Sliideout Kit #RAP91028 Diagram 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	178330  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Slideuot Diagram (KEEP) RAP91028 Kit + RAP91975 Kit.pdf (23.2 KB, 68 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

What did he say? I’m having the same issue with mine and need help!! I wanna say it’s bolts but I need to know where the bolts are located. I made an appointment with an RV shop near me but I won’t be able to get in till July 9th and my family room slide out is tearing up my floor. Need assistance now.
Tom_Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #25

Is your floor getting scratched just behind the drive's seat? What kind of floor do you have?

If your slide is already out then you only have to put it in one more time before you go see the RV tech.

To help protect your floor, I would get a sheet of plastic or buy a skid plate... to let the roller that is scratching your floor run over the plastic. They sell these on Amazon I think. (8"x36"???)

If you want to raise your floor you need to understand how the entire slide works.

I also would not extend the slide all the way out. I would stop when the rubber seal just touches the side wall and live with the 1/4" raised floor.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Sagging slideout

My floor is getting scratched on the other side(left hand side of the slide out if looking at the slide out from the inside). I have laminate flooring(peel and stick).
We’ve been using our slide out on a daily basis. It’s fine except that it’s lower on the left side by an inch.

Is there a certain article or link that you can send to me where I can read how slideouts work? Especially when it comes in, how does the floor get raised up(does it slide up on something from its outside resting position when it travels inward?)?

]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B76383FA-E260-4E51-B6C2-ABF52249F160.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	180035   Click image for larger version

Name:	99D12258-217D-481F-B10B-107C8561B5AE.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	180036  

Name:	D1073F50-1BEE-44EF-829A-517239A79472.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	180037  
Old 07-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #27

A large slide that dips on one side by more than 1/2" probably has a cracked plastic triangle that you probably can see until you remove it. And I'm also guessing your bearing (Ram) pad is gone.

You can raise the ram by releasing the locking nut and then you use the alan wrench as shown in the picture below, but I'm guessing it's time for a triangle kit.

Note: You can probably get away with 1 triangle kit you use to only replace the outboard triangle on both rams. And then you would buy 2 bearing pad kits. And ask for the black color pads which are more durable than the white.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	180043   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 30mm Bolt.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	180044  

Old 07-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #28

The Adventure (gas chassis) with HWH supports are more flexible vs. the Diesel Horizon HWH supports, and therefore the Adventure will be easier to service the outboard triangle as show in the video above.

However, us diesel chassis owners will need to disassemble the ram from the hydraulic actuator or you are talking about cutting and welding time, which I would prefer not to do.

==> In May-2021, I decided to travel to The Reef RV Park in Rocky Point, MX to both vacation and have HWH "Storemore" FLAT FLOOR serviced by Gabriel; and was impressed by his knowledge, fortitude, and price!

For more information and pictures of this service, you can go to this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ad-361658.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	180045   Click image for larger version

Name:	000.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	180046  

Old 07-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Where can I find this plastic triangle? Is it hard to find? For the RAM pads, should I just replace them all at one time

For the Triangle kits, are they one size fits all? Can o get them off Amazon or do I have to get them through HWH? Do you guys know the part numbers?
Old 07-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #30

The Bearing Pac Kit (black) and the Plastic Slide Kit part numbers are listed above.

You first want to do an inspection, and to take pictures, so you can order any bent parts ahead of time.

!" is a lot. I'm surprised you can even operate your slide. ...Maybe 90% while it scratches the floor, but when the box starts to make its transition DOWN SLOPE then the opposite corner at the top is going to catch the metal frame.

When you are under your slide you will see a long horizonal steel bar. This is adjusted so the metal rollers come to rest on it during the last 3/4" of travel. Consequently, you will want to reinstall this bar last or you may bend parts.

* A lot of people will recommend Stewart's, but I prefer to order from HWH direct. Stewart's does not charge that much more, but they may have a better return policy. Just be sure to order ALL the parts you think you need in advance or you might have to go back for more and that will waste 1-2 weeks of TAT.

If you have a shop do it, a lot of times they will prefer you order the parts and bring everything with you. And I doubt any shop will have the parts in stock. It's not that common of a repair, until now as more and more RV older than 10 years are still in service.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

How do I access the triangles? Is there a YouTube video out there that tells us how to do this? I also checked all my bearing pads(white pads) and all seems to be in good working condition(none of them worn out or broken).

If and when I do turn the Alan wrench to raise the RAM will I need something holding the slideout for stability or will I at least need the slide out to be in a little(no pressure from being fully extended). When I do raise the RAM up, will it go up a couple of inches or millimeters?
Old 07-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #32

If you have a gas rig/chassis, maybe the video shown above can help you.

If you have a diesel chassis the HWH gussets and welded bars may need to be cut or you follow the link to the thread above where it talks about removing the entire ram.

Taking the weight off the ram can be done serval ways, but as you can see in the picture below, this is how we did it with 2 bottle jacks and some 2x4s.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	180067   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	180068  

Old 07-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Same Story Here...

We tried the bolt adjustments a couple of times and found no joy. We tried replacing the "triangles" by wedging ourselves under the motorhome. We could do only one. Like imnprsd, we ended up taking the motorhome to a shop and had the full slide service done.

The shop actually removed all four ram assemblies and took them to a bench for removal and replacement of the "plastic" pieces. It was a four-hand job. While the ram assemblies were out they put jacks under the slideouts to keep them from drooping. The whole process took the shop about four days.

In retrospect, after seeing how far back up in there the second set of "plastic" pieces are, that was the best strategy (there are two sets per ram). In our case, we were on-the-road and getting it done quickly was a priority. Everything is as good as new now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gap (2).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	180092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6181.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	180093  

Name:	20200618_200627.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	543.8 KB
ID:	180095  
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #34

Yeah... this is one of the jobs where it is easier to make $2,000 in your normal line of work vs. doing it yourself and maybe getting stuck.

Note: If you can run your RV tire up on some chalks, that will make it easier to get underneath and then you want to come up with a jack blocking shim as well.

IMO, you need 2 people to do this job, not one. And, if you have a diesel chassis you probably need to remove the rams to do the job right, but it's not that hard once you figure it out.

FYI, I got quotes from $900 - $2,400 and I would bet the $900 quote was for a gas chassis... and I would bet it was to only replace the outboard triangles and bearing pads. (Note: This seems acceptable in most cases as the inboard triangles don't wear that much.)

I also think $900 was an underbid if you have a diesel. I.e., you may think you are going to pay $900, but then you end up paying $2,000+ because the mechanic underestimated the job, probably thinking he Adventurer (gas chassis) Flat Floor is the same job a Horizon/Vectra (diesel chassis).

This is a big job the first time around. The next time it is much easier. So go with a shop who has done this before or you will be paying for their learning curve.

My labor estimate: 2 people 4-6 hours + readjusting all 3 axis's can take 1-3 hours. So you may have 9-15 man hours + $300-$450 parts. (With a 3rd person inside the RV at times to bump the hydraulics in or out using the button on the dash.)

I only replaced a few bent parts and I replaced all the plastic except 2 plastic bars in the back that hardly were warn at all (~3/4x1x8"). I ordered my parts direct from HWH and paid ~$300.

Every shop likes to charge you no more than what they quoted. However, no shop will lose money on a job. So, this is one of those type of jobs that will dip into your wallet if the wrong expectations get set. So you may hope for a $900 bill + parts, but you should prepare yourself for a $2000 bill + parts if you have a diesel.

Note: All these comments are based on my only experience replacing the triangles in my diesel 2004 Horizon. And your experiences may be different.

If anyone has a story of their own to share, please do so, since a good number of RVs are approaching their 15+ year of service -- and maybe 10-15 years is the average time between HWH "StoreMore" flat floor major service?

For more information and pictures of services I got at The Reef RV Park in Rocky Point, MX you can go to this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ad-361658.html

Tags
slide, slideout