Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slideout Disaster

Well... I have been a super fan of Winnebago for many years but now...

2014 Itasca Meridian 40U (bought April 2015 brand new)

June 1 we were getting ready to head home. I started to bring in the passenger side front slideout (Lipper slideout with Schwintek system). A motor started making a grinding noise. I let go of the switch... The top of the slideout did not come in and the bottom started to come in. The slideout was now tilted. I tried to extend the slideout but no luck. I called Winnebago Coachnet and they dispatched a mobile unit to bring in the slideout. Three hours later the mobile unit (1 person) arrived. He did not know anything... I had to lend him my manuals. Two hours later he atleast was able to extend the bottom of the slideout so it was not tilted as much.

June 2 I called Winnebago Coachnet again. They dispatched another mobile unit. This time with two knowledgable people. They removed the motors and with five people (I had to find two more volunteers) we were able to push in the slideout manually. Winnebago Coachnet setup a service appointment at an approved Winnebago warranty repair service center 20 miles away.

June 3 I arrive at the warranty repair service center. Eight hours later they tell Winnebago that they need to order motors, tracks and seals. Winnebago gives the approval. The warranty service center will order the parts the next day since the manager who does the ordering is home sick.

June 4, I call the warranty service center to make sure the parts were ordered. They were. It will take 2+ weeks. WHAT??? I was told I could call Winnebago and get the parts expedited. I call Winnebago and they said they would check into it. I get a call back three hours later. Lipper has to make the parts and freight the parts to the service center. Sorry but at least two weeks.

Ironically, from talking to the mobile units that came to my aid, and the service technicians, and Google, I have learned that this is a very well known issue with Winnebago and Lipper. I was told, it is not a matter of "will the slideout fail" but "when will the slideout fail." Now it makes me wonder why Winnebago has not recalled the RV's with the Lipper slideouts and made the upgraded repairs? Because of that, I am stuck for 2+ weeks waiting for parts, then 2 days for repairs where I will have to stay in a motel. At least I do have my coach to sleep in until the parts arrive, but it is costing me $55.00 per day camping fees when I could be home at no additional cost.

I have tried to call Winnebago (late afternoon) June 4 and after one hour of hearing "all technicians are busy", I hung up and decided to wait until June 5. I vowed not to give up; however, after a two (yes... two) hours of hearing "all technicians are busy" I hung up. I called two more times and after long waits, I have still to get ahold of Winnebago. Hopefully I will get lucky and talk to someone at Winnebago tomorrow (Monday). My expenses are growing quickly. I had to pay for the labor of the two mobile units (so far $302.00 out of pocket), and now the $55 per day.

So... now you know. I guess in 3 weeks this aggravation will be history and I will be a Happy Camper heading home
-Grumpy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Grumpy,
I'm sorry to hear of your trouble. If I were you, I'd rent a car and drive home. I'm assuming that you don't have a towed car.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I can't even begin to imagine your frustration. Such a nice coach and to have to put up with this. From the amount of post concerning Winnebago quality control in the last couple years, it would appear someone should step up and do something about it. I am new to Winnebago as we only purchased a couple months ago. I have had and still do have a 1973 GMC coach. We have completely rebuilt it bumper to bumper. Just too small for full time.

Here's hoping you problem is resolved and you are on your merry way soon.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Grumpy,
I'm sorry to hear of your trouble. If I were you, I'd rent a car and drive home. I'm assuming that you don't have a towed car.
Hi ChasA... My car is in a car hauler, which is attached to the coach. I cannot leave the coach at the approved Winnebago repair center and the car hauler at the camp ground. The repair center has no room to store the coach or the trailer while waiting 2+ weeks for parts. I am between the proverbial "rock and a hard spot." I am hundreds of miles from home. I hope Winnebago reimburses me for the camping expenses. If not, then I think I will have to find a hungry attorney. I never, ever, expected to be treated this way. As big as Winnebago is, they surely should have the power to make Lippert expedite the parts.
-Grumpy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

.. I had similar experience with lippert with my leveling jacks.. They were well aware that the hoses they supplied were defective.. See the leveling hoses would blister then eventually burst... It happened once. To me while it was parked..I Waited two weeks for lippert to send hoses.. Changed all the hoses.. Left on a trip.. 600miles from home I stop to get gas .. All of a sudden I hear a pop and the jacks down alarm going off... When I look underneath one of the hoses had burst and the another had a bulge like a golf ball..I Moved the unit... Cleaned up the spill with help from the turnpike people... Raised the extended leg using a jack and tied it up...I Called lippert and am told they could send me out another set... It would be a week or two...I asked if I could just get a set made ..they said sure and promised to reimburse me...I had a complete set made up..and had them installed ... And you guessed it.. Lippert and forest river both refused to reimburse me (I was just looking for reimbursement on hoses no labor).....I could just imagine if the hose burst while driving and the jack deployed...( no return spring on lippert jacks).. They lose pressure they extend..

I feel for you.. Hope things work out..
Old 06-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Why? Why? I just don't get it.

Why does Winnebago promise to stand behind their products and then let this happen?

Even more, why do people continue to part with good money and support them. They would get their act together in a hurry if everyone quit buying their coaches and funding their poor behavior.

I guess there really is a sucker born every minute.

I want so badly to have faith in Winnebago so we can buy a Grand Tour, but not happening anytime soon!
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

And what's up with only a 12 month warranty? Is that how little they believe in their product?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Do any other manufacturers offer more than 12 months?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
Do any other manufacturers offer more than 12 months?
I think Entegra has a 2 year warranty.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just checked WBGO's "service" tab on their website

Servicing Your Winnebago or Itasca Motorhome | RV Service

It says "TripSaver Emergency Parts" - Never get stuck waiting for parts. Our exclusive TripSaver emergency parts program guarantees parts for warranty service ship within 24-hours of your service call.

I have a feeling they'll use the "we don't make it, therefore we can't control it" excuse.. but I would definitely put some pressure on them to deliver... or at the very least, pay for expenses...

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Also... If you have the ability to post on this forum.. you should have access to email..

I would suggest sending out an email to them at: [email protected] or [email protected]

Couldn't hurt !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I just checked WBGO's "service" tab on their website

Servicing Your Winnebago or Itasca Motorhome | RV Service

It says "TripSaver Emergency Parts" - Never get stuck waiting for parts. Our exclusive TripSaver emergency parts program guarantees parts for warranty service ship within 24-hours of your service call.

I have a feeling they'll use the "we don't make it, therefore we can't control it" excuse.. but I would definitely put some pressure on them to deliver... or at the very least, pay for expenses...

Good Luck !!
I AGREE!! It is implied ALL parts for warranty. PERIOD!!!

Tags
slide, slideout