Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Slideout carpet flap repair

Ellipse 42QD full wall slide has a carpet "flap" that covers the roller/slide mechanism. The underneath of this flap has what seems like blue hard plastic, which is broken/split in half, and the result is that I have a carpet valley/trough the full length of the slide.
I'm looking for solutions/recommendations for a permanent DYI fix. With the slide retracted, I have access to the bottom/underneath of the flap.
Thanks in advance for all ideas.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Are you referring to the cover ramp under the carpet along the length of the slide? We are having the same problem where ours broke and needs replaced. Since it has to ship as freight from Winnebago, the shipping is more than the piece itself. We would be interested in what others have done as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NeIL5YPwSDq3FCk2N7Y8yA.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	171616   Click image for larger version

Name:	aap0BzSDR2yaSxJCLLyz3g.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	171617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	smdt9N0WQjy53PcCm%BHJA.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	171618  
Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Thank you for the pictures.
I don't have the dark gray pad on mine. Under the carpet is attached a blue plastic liner about 6 or 7 inches wide and the length of the slide. Underneath is what appears to be long rollers, but I'm not positive about that part. There is a metallic structure. The blue plastic rests on it when the slide is out and dropped down in place. Two issues, first is the blue plastic has split length ways, and second, there is now a valley from the edge of the carpet flap in for about 6 to 8 inches. Difficult to vacuum, and is generally a problem.
I may look for some pad material like yours. Is it attached to the carpet?
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Joe - the carpet padding that shows in picture one stops at the metal stripping. Then the plastic "cover ramp" was super sticky glued over the metal strip. In the first picture, the black plastic strip has shifted, which in turn caused it to shift where it was attached on the top side to the bottom of the carpet with the sticky stuff. Winnebago told us that strip is there to cover the edge of the slide where a gap is created between it and the interior floor when the slide is out - hence the "cover" so that stuff can't get in that space AND as in your case, keep the carpet from sinking down in the groove. The part that broke on ours broke across the strip, not the length of it, so we are missing about a foot long piece of the entire strip. We kept the piece that broke off - it was tough getting it unattached from both sides with all that sticky stuff - but kept the piece and are going to try to see if we can find something similar to remedy that section without replacing the entire strip. Would double side taping some linoleum the length of your slide work to cover that gap?

I ran across this page that is about actually replacing the floor - but in Tip 2 at the bottom of the page it talks about what they ran into with the cover ramp.https://mountainmodernlife.com/repla...-rv-slide-out/ Down in the comments there is some talk about what others encountered. May be of some help to you. Now that I think of it, maybe this would be a great time for us to "fix" our issue by putting down new laminate like this guy did and getting rid of the carpet on that slide all together.

Tags
repair, slide, slideout