Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Dan L, ChiefJohn, Paul T and wa8yxm - My system is Kwikee electric, and I should have noted that in my OP, sorry. But thanks for jumping in, I appreciate your efforts.

007 - Thanks. I googled Kwikee to find the site you reference, but the trouble-shooting info falls short, and the phone number is not working. Right now, I'm dead-ended with Kwikee and working with Jay at Winnebago.

millsrv and Indy Itasca - Apparently, the three of us have the same system. Glad to hear the techs can make adjustments, always good news. No error codes.

So here's where I'm at: Winnebago's Jay, who sounds like he knows his stuff, says there are two small "towers" located at the floor just inside the slide wall at the corner. These towers are 2-3 inches tall with plastic caps, and these caps are what the slide box runs on. The towers can be adjusted up or down by locating their respective bolts inside the underneath compartment. These bolts go up through the floor (compartment roof) and through weld-nuts, and may be readily visible or be found behind an inspection plate. He says to move them up (clockwise turn) 1/4 inch at a time and operate the slide for results, don't overdo it.... OR, alternatively, to jack up the slide to look through the gaskets from either side to find any small obtructions blocking movement. I took notes, and have tried to locate these adjustment bolts, but without success. I'm making a bit of progress, but so far we've been looking at this generically, so I'll call Jay again on Monday with my rig ID, so he can look at the specs for this particular setup. I'll let you know....

Thanks again to all, I appreciate your efforts!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Steelheadbluesman,
Thank you for keeping us posted on your education, please continue to do so.
Did Jay at Winnebago happen to mention why we get no customer service from Kwikee?
When you find the towers or adjustments I would really like to know how to access them. Looking up under my bedroom slide, except for the bar in the middle, I see nothing mechanical only the bottom of the box.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
Steelheadbluesman,
Thank you for keeping us posted on your education, please continue to do so.
Did Jay at Winnebago happen to mention why we get no customer service from Kwikee?
When you find the towers or adjustments I would really like to know how to access them. Looking up under my bedroom slide, except for the bar in the middle, I see nothing mechanical only the bottom of the box.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
I just got off the phone with Jay, and he is perplexed. We can't find the adjustment bolts that he originally spoke of, or an inspection plate, so now we are looking at adjusting the "slide motor/screw drive" under the bed to try to "square-up" the room. Because the room closes just fine, i.e., it ends up flush with the exterior wall, he basically has eliminated any problems associated with the 'towers" or with too much weight in the closet, under bed, etc. And he cautioned again to look for obstructions. I've looked, and I don't think there are any....

As to Kwikee, Jay says they are no longer giving much tech help, unless it is very specific to their product. Why they have no phone is a mystery, maybe downsizing, but I've looked on the web, and there is nothing else for contacting them. Anyway, the issue I'm having is a builder problem, not a Kwikee product failure.

BTW, if you have not accessed the diagrams of the slide systems (or all the other systems in your rig) you might find the following item to be of interest: Go to the Winnie site>Manuals & Diagrams>Parts Catalogue, then plug in your year and model. It's a large pdf file, but you can find "exterior slideout group" in the left scroll menu. I've enlarged the rear slide view, but I can't quite figure where these "towers" are located, or any adjustment bolts. Maybe you can.... Whether it helps with this issue or not, if you haven't seen this pdf, it is a great resource that is specific to your model! I'll keep looking and posting. Any ideas, let me know.... Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Take a look at page 155 (REAR RIGHT SLIDEOUT) of the 2007 Sunrise 35L Parts Catalog and I think the 'towers' Jay was talking about are items 27 & 28 (zoom up at least 400% so that you can see the detail). If you go back to page 154 you should see where these are located on the outer edge of the floor surface. Hopeful you can match that illustration up to the layout of your coach and find what you're looking for.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Take a look at page 155 (REAR RIGHT SLIDEOUT) of the 2007 Sunrise 35L Parts Catalog and I think the 'towers' Jay was talking about are items 27 & 28 (zoom up at least 400% so that you can see the detail). If you go back to page 154 you should see where these are located on the outer edge of the floor surface. Hopeful you can match that illustration up to the layout of your coach and find what you're looking for.
I agree. (Thanks for making the link, after I rather clumsily described the path in my previous post.) Problem is, I can't find a way to access them or adjust them. Looking up under the LPG compartment ceiling and the floor inside the wheel well, I can find no sign of the bolts that raise or lower the towers. And no inspection cover. Jay said they're just inside the wall and about 18 inches apart extending up through the floor through weld-nuts on the other side. That's where I'm at.... Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Steel...
I have a different model than yours. However, it does use the same slideout mechanism. There are no limit switches; instead, it uses a current sensing circuit to tell it when to stop (when the motor encounters resistance, the current increases and the controller turns the motor off). My Sightseer WFD29 does have the adjustable supports. I looked at the parts catalog for both our models. The catalog for mine shows on page 148, parts 33 & 34, the adjustable supports. I don't find anything like these in the catalog for your model. It looks like you have 3 non-adjustable supports. Here is what I suggest you try. (1) Clean and lubricate all your slide seals. (2) Look closely at the bottom of your slide (looking up from outside). On mine, I can clearly see where it rides on the supports (scratches). I would lubricate those areas well with Super Lube and run the slide in and out a few times. Doing these things should help reduce the friction and may allow the slide to fully extend at the bottom. It is normal for the top of the slideout to contact the wall sooner than the bottom. But the motor keeps going until it draws enough current that the circuit shuts it off. Also, holding the "out" switch in after the motor stops does nothing, the controller will do nothing until you press the "in" switch.
I hope some of this helps fix your problem.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Steel...
I have a different model than yours. However, it does use the same slideout mechanism. There are no limit switches; instead, it uses a current sensing circuit to tell it when to stop (when the motor encounters resistance, the current increases and the controller turns the motor off). My Sightseer WFD29 does have the adjustable supports. I looked at the parts catalog for both our models. The catalog for mine shows on page 148, parts 33 & 34, the adjustable supports. I don't find anything like these in the catalog for your model. It looks like you have 3 non-adjustable supports. Here is what I suggest you try. (1) Clean and lubricate all your slide seals. (2) Look closely at the bottom of your slide (looking up from outside). On mine, I can clearly see where it rides on the supports (scratches). I would lubricate those areas well with Super Lube and run the slide in and out a few times. Doing these things should help reduce the friction and may allow the slide to fully extend at the bottom. It is normal for the top of the slideout to contact the wall sooner than the bottom. But the motor keeps going until it draws enough current that the circuit shuts it off. Also, holding the "out" switch in after the motor stops does nothing, the controller will do nothing until you press the "in" switch.
I hope some of this helps fix your problem.
Chas
You're reading it the same as me, Chas. I think there are no adjustments on my towers, despite what Jay at Winnebago has told me. Still, I'm wondering why yours would be adjustable and mine would not be, since we both have the same system? So I'm curious about how you can tell that your supports are adjustable and mine are not? Can you see them that clearly? Are there adjustment bolts through the floor, as Jay described? Do you have an inspection cover? I hadn't thought about lubing. I will look for "scratches" and try lubing/cleaning. Thanks for your input, Chas, every piece of information is helping me decipher this thing.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Hi Steelhead,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We went camping and had no internet service. I cannot see any towers or access panels. What I can see are 2 bolt heads with about an inch of thread showing coming down through the ceiling of the two storage bays at the rear left of the coach. These bolts are about an inch in from the bay door hinges and about an inch in from the slideout sidewalls. I could be that Winnebago no longer makes the supports adjustable. But my theory is that yours is not adjustable because your slideout is longer than mine and requires 3 supports. Adjusting 3 supports so they carry equal weight can be very difficult: If either end support is higher than the center support, the slideout floor could droop: If the center support is higher, the slideout could be "tippy". Furthermore, I can't see how raising the floor in your slideout on one side would fix your problem of the lower corner not contacting the wall. I suspect you have some binding, or the screw mechanism isn't parallel to the slideout walls. You could try stopping the slideout about an inch before it contacts the wall and then measuring the distance from the wall at all 4 corners. I think the top corners should be the same distance and the bottoms the same distance but a little farther from the wall than the top corners. Does any of this make sense? I hope it is of some help to you. Keep us posted on your progress.
Good Luck,
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Hi Chas, I know it's been awhile, but I wanted to respond to your last post. I believe you have it right. I can find nothing in the way of adjustments, (which is very frustrating since Winnebago man said they were there), although I agree with you that raising an end tower would likely make things worse by elevating the box AT THE MAIN WALL, which might make it tip down more or separate even farther, or even sag in the middle. What I'm doing now is to push gently and evenly with one hand on the left sidewall of the box, while it is extending, which seems to be helping as the bottom left corner has now extended to within a quarter to a half-inch of the main wall. Some progress anyway. Since there are no adjustment choices, I'm thinking it might have just gotten a bit out of whack (wishful thinking of course), and if I can get it back to where it should be by manipulating or helping it along, well, maybe it will be okay (more wishful thinking.) Can't find any scratches or marks to show where the box rides, so I haven't tried lubing it yet. If what I'm doing works over the longer term, then fine, if not I'll lube it where I can, probably using a spray silicone. Thanks for your input, it has been helpful and encouraging. Mystery issues are never fun, but what's a guy to do? I'll let you know how this thing turns out. And thanks again, Chas