Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Topper Replacement

We have a 2009 Itasca Suncruiser 32H
The bedroom slide topper (approx 82" wide) has ripped end to end where it attached to the "channel" on the side of the motorhome. Called the local RV dealer, ~$200 for the material, ~$300 for labor to replace.
1. does anyone know if replaceing the slide topper is a DIY project?
2. What is the cause of the material ripping, dry rot/exposure to sun making the material brittle?
3. Is there a more durable material other than the standard Winnebago OEM material?
4. Just noticed the leading edge of the full wall slide topper is also starting to rip. Anyone know best way to repair to keep rip from migrating? Duct tape? some type of iron/glue on patch?

thanks
Crankarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It can be a DIY project. The main challenge is knowing which end of the awning the spring is on and how to secure it. What brand awnings do you have?

Mine did not rip as you said, but instead the inboard seam failed. I had to replace mine at the 7 year mark.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We recently replaced 3 of the covers for our slide outs. Yes it is a DIY, with the help of one other person. One does need to pay attention to which end to remove and the one NOT to remove. We purchased our new covers with ones that we got from Stone Vos and are happy with them. The material is a little heavier and all of the seams are double stitched. As long as you have the time, why pay someone else to do the work that you can do. Save the money for something else.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had two done in a CG in Corpus Christi by a Mexican fellow and his son. He supplied a coloured material called Sun something that is used for sails. They came out, took them off, came back two days later and installed for $500.
I don't like working on a ladder and my helper will not so for me, it was a bargain. This material comes in a variety of colors.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We had a slide topper blow out a few years ago. We purchased material from UFO (United Fabric Outlet) in National City, CA (near San Diego). It does take two or more people to slide the fabric into the channel on the side of the motor home. Also it takes some adjustment to get the tension correct on the spring roller. My wife did the necessary stiching. I'd consider it a do it your self project. I don't have an answer for your other questions.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

There are a couple of good vids on youtube showing how to do it. Doesn't seem too hard.
I've got two that I'm going to tackle this summer. Good luck.
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I have had them off the rig a few times to have them re-stitched.

I have also participated in the replacement of several slide-out toppers, and yes - I think it is definitely a DIY project.

Several friend of mine have purchased slide-out toppers from here : Stone Vos Inc and the quality looks absolutely satisfactory.

Chances are that I will replace mine come December, and I will "call in the troops" to assist me. Bill Willard and Harry "Happycarz" - get ready.

I will be aiming for Sunbrella fabric and polyester stitching. I think this is the best combination you can get at the present.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The wife and I did our living room slide. Look at this website.
RV Slide-Out Topper Awning Replacement Fabric Installation
Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Check out the videos by RV Geeks. They show step-by-step how to replace a slide topper. Great videos!
GingerNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I did mine alone. Many trips up and down the ladder.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I did mine alone. Many trips up and down the ladder.
It is a DIY job- DH and I have done more than once.

I made it a bit easier cuz I was willing to help - so the trips up & down the ladder was cut down to by at least a third!

Good Luck!
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

After seeing professionals replacing these topper covers I did my own. The best advice given to me was not to wrap your thumb around the crank handle while rewinding the spring as you might break your thumb if the crank unloads the tension if your grip slips!
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, slide