Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide Topper Replacement

I have had three of the four slide toppers replaced on my Vectra, by Galaxy Awnings. They did a great job and the price was reasonable. However, I am now faced with a dilemma. The fourth topper is now deteriorating and it is mounted below the main Weather Pro awning. Galaxy has indicated that the Weather Pro will have to be removed in order to gain access to the mounting slot and they don't have the manpower to accomplish this. I am looking for other options, other than total removal of the Weather Pro. I am considering doing this myself with my son's help. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I use a mobile service called Shade Pro. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It looks like the rail is right under the main awning that main rail should be on the roof or close to it why the main has to come off, opening it should gain access
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Normally, the large awning would be mounted in the channel so the topper must be in a second channel. Looks like you need to open the awning and seen what's what and decide from there. The topper might very will be mounted in an add-on channel below the main one so you might get lucky!.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree never seen a reason to remove the main just to get to the topper
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hmm ... a picture like the one you included but with the upper awning extended would probably firm up the opinions. It looks like the topper would slide past the extended upper awning but it's hard to tell where the awning arms would be positioned.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Guys I have owned the coach for 6 years. The Topper is mounted in the Main awning rail that runs the lenght of the coach. The Main awning is mounted above it and the support arms are over the top of it. When the awning is opened the support arms are still mounted to the side of the coach. The slide topper could NOT be put in the slot without removing or at least tipping on eoe the support arms. Look at the picture again!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

deSanford, ShadePro is only southern CA & southern AZ.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm in Florida, or PA this summer. Anyway, I think I can do it myself if I can get some advice on getting the Weather Pro Awning out of the way. Here's a Picture with the awning extended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1007.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	34498  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Here's two Pic's looking from the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1008.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	34499   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1009.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	34500  

Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm not standing near your RV but from here it looks like you could extend the main awning, support the outboard end (farthest from the side wall), pull the 4 bolts at the top of the bracket (on one end), pull the bracket a few inches away from the side wall, clamp if necessary, and feed the topper thru the gap. 2 men and 2 ladders for sure.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

One thing you could do is to widen the channel/track at one end of the topper with a pair of pliers or permanently, by drilling out the edges of it. You might need to do it for a inch or more so you can remove the old and insert the new awning into it. You can use a small screw(s) through the end of the awning to secure it to the track/sidewall when installed. I used this to widen the roller end of my topper as an alternative to disassembling the end cap - it was suggested by the replacement topper supplier.
I appreciate that this methodology sounds a bit "invasive" for lack of a better term, but it is highly unlikely you will see it once installed. You also avoid any potential to damage the large main awning trying to remove it so this process has tradeoffs. Be sure to remove rough edges that could cut the new topper when being installed.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Like it bobmac, sounds like the way I may have to go. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Just finished the new awning topper replacement this weekend. I widened the awning rail as bobmac suggested (Thanks again). Removed the old one and inserted a new one from Tough Topper Awnings. Great instructions and it only took about 2 hours.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I just went through the replacement of the awnings on the drivers side of a Itasca 36rd 2005 unit. Looking at your topper awning I believe that they are the same make. I would advise you to think about doing it yourself. I got the awnings from Tough Tops (RV Slide Out Awnings, Replacement Fabric). They indicate that it is a simple job. It most likely is on a normal topper but the Itasca slide tops are not that simple. The big problem is that they are not set up to be pinned to keep them from rolling up. I found that I could not rotate the tube or hold it from winding up. I had to find tools that would clamp the large tube and hold it. You really need two of them to make it work. I found chain vise grips that did the job. But they are pricey. The channel that the topper slides into is also a problem. There is not a opening for you to slide the topper into. I had to take a drill and drill an opening and then file it down so that it would not rip the material. This is done with a rat tail file. It just is not the easiest when you are up on a ladder and don't have a good angle to get at the channel. I would say that all toll I spent about $200 on tools and materials to get the job done. This might not be a problem if you still are at a home base with a normal set of tools but when you live on the road a lot of those things are not with you.
for36rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Didn't have any problem. Topper awnings are A&E. We're easily rotated and pinned with small screwdrivers, just as the tough topper instructions said. Just had to spread the main awning rail as my previous posts and pics described. Was really easy no special tools required. Sorry you had a problem. Perhaps pix would have helped us help you.

Tags
replacement, slide