Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just lived through a hail storm in Cheyenne WY. Kind of scary for a Native CA boy.

Had some damage, the worst being that my slide toppers/awnings were damaged and will need to be replaced. Does anybody have a suggestion for a repair facility in Cheyenne or better yet, Denver as I will be there in a week and plan on staying awhile. Would Camping World be a good choice.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just lived through a hail storm in Cheyenne WY. Kind of scary for a Native CA boy.

Had some damage, the worst being that my slide toppers/awnings were damaged and will need to be replaced. Does anybody have a suggestion for a repair facility in Cheyenne or better yet, Denver as I will be there in a week and plan on staying awhile. Would Camping World be a good choice.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think Camping World would be as good as any place. Do they have the size and style you need? Does your insurance carrier allow you getting them replaced at CW?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here is Carefree's web page. They are in Broomfield Co about 40-50 miles south of Denver. I have no clue if they're good or bad but they are the factory and they appear to do repair work.

Hopefully, one of our IRV2'rs in the area will respond.

Glad no one got hurt.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Nick - I would also think CW could handle it. After you talk to your insurer, you might want to call ahead to CW in case they have to order the toppers to match.

I'm curious - how big were the hail stones and did they do any damage to the fiberglass roof? I've had a real fear of getting caught in a hailstorm and always thought the fiberglass part of the roof would be destroyed. Toppers are pretty easy to deal with, but I would sure hate to have a roof replaced. Good luck - hope it turns out well.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomsm:
I'm curious - how big were the hail stones and did they do any damage to the fiberglass roof? I've had a real fear of getting caught in a hailstorm and always thought the fiberglass part of the roof would be destroyed. Toppers are pretty easy to deal with, but I would sure hate to have a roof replaced. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We got hit with golf ball sized hail stones in TN last year. Both toppers were damaged and had to be replaced. The Honda sustained $3600 in damage.
The fiberglass roof only had two small star cracks on the rounded part of the roof at the edge. One above the bedroom slide and one just in front of the living room slide. Not even big enough to mess with.
Other RVs in the park had toppers, AC shrouds and vent covers destroyed. Ours came through fine. It may have had to do with age of the plastic.

I do now know to take the slides in. At the time I thought the fabric would just let the hail bounce off without hurting it.

Although the roof came through okay, the noise was so loud that I had two dogs and a cat in my lap looking for protection.

We were near Nashville and had intended taking a look at Crossville with the idea of maybe settling down there at some point far in the future when we can't full time any longer. After that storm DW wife said "no way" and we just drove on by Crossville.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Clay - thanks much for the info. It's good to know the roof will survive. Good idea about pulling in the slides - I would have never thought of that as, like you, I would expect the flexibility of the toppers to absorb the blows without damage.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you decide to check with carefree confirm the address and location via the phone book or some other avenue. When we lived in Broomfield, Colorado both it and Carefree of Colorado were located Northwest of Denver about half way between Denver and Boulder.
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

In addition to the 2 slide toppers, I lost one vent cover which was destroyed and my TV antenna was cracked but it still works. Looks like a small piece of a decal was also damaged.

I'm not experienced in this but the hail ranged in size up to a quarter, with some a little larger. The roof appears to be OK as far as I can tell as does the skylight in the BR and the solar panel also appears to be in good condition. The sat dish also came out OK. No side damage or glass damage.

Was not fun but my wife was alone and did not have time to pull in the slides when it happened. We are conditioned to retract the slildes during heavy winds and now we will do the same during a possible hail storm.

There was similar damage to other rigs, lots of vents and toppers ruined. Went to get a vent replacement today but the local RV guy said that he had nothing that would fit a Winny and I would probably have to go to a dealer to get a replacement.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

HI Nick,

On your way down I-25 at exit 243 in Longmont, Colorado, there is a Camping World at K & C RV. The are located on the service road on the east side of the highway. When you get off at X-243 turn left and left again on the service road to go north about a quarter mile.
I just had a full awning package installed there and they did good work. Not sure if this would be convenient for you but their number is: 866-599-4874

Good Luck

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Clay:
Recently had all my A&E Awnings replaced by CW, Tallahassee, FL. Suggest you call ahead, as you may have to order your toppers, since CW may not have them in stock.

CW ain't cheap, but who is?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the info Nick. Sounds like you came out in pretty good shape. That K & C RV that John mentioned is a Winne dealer, so between them and CW, you should find everything you need. I used to live in Longmont and that dealership is very easy to access from I-25 as John described. Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Clay:
Recently had all my A&E Awnings replaced by CW, Tallahassee, FL. Suggest you call ahead, as you may have to order your toppers, since CW may not have them in stock.

CW ain't cheap, but who is?

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This happened last spring and that fall we happened to be going to the Winnebago factory, so I had them replace the toppers. The insurance covered it except for the deductable. Winnie charged less than the insurance adjuster had estimated.