Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Slide "Support Kit" Installed

2 1/2 days at Forest City and the driver's side slide problem is almost resolved. The main pump, as explained to me, is kinda tired and is in need of replacement. It does not have the poop to completely extend the last 4 inches of the rear of the driver's side slide without a very minor misalignment. A gentle assist by my wife's right hand during those last 4 inches insures proper alignment - i.e. no binding. I will stop by HWH on our way to the Center of the Universe (Bonita Springs, FL) for pump replacement. We had some more upgrades installed and I'm generally satisfied with the results. Time will tell, of course.
I'm not bragging or complaining, but I don't have any real problem about the $17,000.00 I've invested over 11 years in this MH. The issues with the slide, the jacks, and a fuel pump on the generator have been the ONLY "involuntary" wear and tear expenses. Everything else has been because we WANTED to, not because we HAD to. The ol' girl has served us well, and continues to do so, and we will continue to acknowledge her faithfulness by rewarding her with the best of care. As I mentioned, we've bonded - and THAT is a good thing! My bottom line: If ya gotta good Winnebago, and you like it, let her (or him) know it. And, like your wife, spend some money on her once in awhile, talk nice to her and think kind thoughts goin' down the road.
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's all well and good, groundpilot, but you don't mention what kind of RV, year, model, age, you have so your story doesn't really tell us anything about what I assume is a Winnebago.

You joined in '08, but that doesn't mean you have an '08. Nothing mentioned on your profile page either.

So, help us out and put your rig info in your signature?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If I had to guess, I would say he has a gasser with the 38J floorplan, and I wouldnt buy the story that the pump is weak.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
If I had to guess, I would say he has a gasser with the 38J floorplan, and I wouldn't buy the story that the pump is weak.

Exactly...........
Pump strong enough to almost open slide and good enough to close it but opening it that last little bit ........
Sounds more like slide is binding/dropping/needs alignment-adjustments
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bum Pump??

Paul . . .
Thanks for your comment on the pump. Right now, I know of no other options to consider, so if you've got some, please share. I run the engine at fast idle when cycling jax and slides, although up until I had the jack solenoids replaced, I ran both off of battery power. In fact, I was told when I bot the thing, you could NOT operate the slides OR jacks with the engine running - it was a "safety thing." Like ya didn't want to put the slides out or the jacks down going down the road. DUH! The point being, if as "they" say the HWH system likes some extra amps to run their hydros, it's getting it now with the engine running. And I assume the pump appreciates this and would respond by putting out its max - whatever that is. To my way of thinking, logical or not, if it is getting sufficient power, and still not pressuring up the system adequately, the pump would be a prime suspect would it not? If ya got some ideas on this and want to share them, I'd be grateful.
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

HWH

Call this guy, Paul Maddox he is a midwest troubleshooter for HWH 1 602 549 3638 he is very helpful and doesn't mind phone calls.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have spoken to Paul on several occasions and have to agree. He is most helpful. I am also learning that almost everyone has a different opinion as to what to do about these slides. One would think the Forest City folks would be the final word but they are just people too. I would think there MUST be some minimum pressure these pumps should meet while running. If that were within specs then alignment or wear would be the next to check.

As I have mentioned to others by private message, I plan to finish with the nylon replacements then go to Havasu City and let 3Ts do the KIT for me. I like their attitude as I have spoken to them several times. Plus they are a closer trip for me from New Mexico.

Like many of us, we love this coach, its floor plan, its size, and overall quality. We plan this to be our last coach until we are no longer able to play.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpilot View Post
Paul . . .
Thanks for your comment on the pump. Right now, I know of no other options to consider, so if you've got some, please share. I run the engine at fast idle when cycling jax and slides, although up until I had the jack solenoids replaced, I ran both off of battery power. In fact, I was told when I bot the thing, you could NOT operate the slides OR jacks with the engine running - it was a "safety thing." Like ya didn't want to put the slides out or the jacks down going down the road. DUH! The point being, if as "they" say the HWH system likes some extra amps to run their hydros, it's getting it now with the engine running. And I assume the pump appreciates this and would respond by putting out its max - whatever that is. To my way of thinking, logical or not, if it is getting sufficient power, and still not pressuring up the system adequately, the pump would be a prime suspect would it not? If ya got some ideas on this and want to share them, I'd be grateful.
First, would you verify what Winnebago motorhome you have. Year, model and floorplan would be helpful.

If it is the 38J floorplan, virtually all of them have an issue with the aft slideout mechanism on the driver's side because of the extra weight on it as compared to the other slideout mechanisms on the RV.

I am surprised that Winnebago didnt test your pump for proper pressure, had they done that, there would be no question as to whether the pump is bad or not, but the fact you say that everything else run by the pump works fine, except for the last few inches of the aft slide mechanism, leads me to believe that there is a problem with that mechanism, and not the pump. I am also surprised that Winnebago let you leave without everything working as designed.

Another possibility, a complete shot in the dark, is that in the slideout system there are two main hydraulic cylinders that push the slideout out, and bring it back in. Also, there is a third hydraulic cylinder in the system whose job it is to equalize the pressure between the two main cylinders, so if one end of the slide hits the stop on going out ahead of the other, the third cylinder is then supposed to equalize the pressure between the two cylinders, and push the other end out to the stop. I would think that if this equalizing cylinder is not working properly, it would produce the problem you have.

Hopefully, AZ Pete can give more definitive information than I have.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This seems to make more sense that a weak pump.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

THAN!!!! sorry
Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
This seems to make more sense that a weak pump.
Especially if the slideout can be pushed out by hand the last few inches, which would indicate there is not a lot of resistance stopping the slideout from going out all the way.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Especially if the slideout can be pushed out by hand the last few inches, which would indicate there is not a lot of resistance stopping the slideout from going out all the way.
There was a thread once about the cylinders getting out of SYNC. Could this be the problem and is this third middle cylinder supposed to correct it?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
There was a thread once about the cylinders getting out of SYNC. Could this be the problem and is this third middle cylinder supposed to correct it?
The third cylinder is mounted parallel to the length of the motorhome, and is not connected to either slideout mechanism other than by hydraulic lines which, according to what I have read, is supposed to equalize the pressure between the two working cylinders.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Gotcha!!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth we have a 2008 Tour WD have a similar problem rear portion of drivers side slide is chewing up the ceremony tile called HWH and went there in late August they checked the whole system and showed me were the structure floor support frame was bent and explained that was a Winnebago problem spoke to customer service rep in Forest City and he admitted they had problems with this and had designed what he referred to as a stabilizer support kit that would correct the problem the earliest they could book an appointment to get it done was Nov. 14/16 my comment that was in November I wanted to be as far away from Iowa as possible and that I certainly was not impressed with their service.
I am having the part installed by my local dealer after he had to wait for a month to get the part. The people in Forest City mentioned they had a similar problem with the Adventure 38Q. PM me in 2 weeks and will let you know how it works out
Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Adventurer 38Q?

Hi I've been watching this thread and am a bit confused so i ask your help for some clarity.

Am I correct that the OP's issue is associated with an HWH slide mechanism? Is that hydraulic or electric?

Bgsc shared that "The people in Forest City mentioned they had a similar problem with the Adventurer 38Q. "

Lord knows my driver's side forward large slide on my 2016 Adventurer 38Q has been a complete disaster with multiple failures. Being that its electric and not hydraulic I'm trying to understand what Forrest City may be sharing as a failure and what this stabilizer might be. Mine is down right now with a broken pinion (teeth sheared off) on the rack and pinion located on the rear ram. The entire slide is grossly out of whack and I wonder if this stabilizer might be needed on mine even though its a Powergear Digisync powered slide.

Please help clarify and educate me. Many thanks
Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #17
GG1
Winnie-Wise

bgsc
If the problem was an issue that Winnebago knows was due to a construction problem on their end will they assist you with the repair expense?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpilot View Post
2 1/2 days at Forest City and the driver's side slide problem is almost resolved. The main pump, as explained to me, is kinda tired and is in need of replacement. It does not have the poop to completely extend the last 4 inches of the rear of the driver's side slide without a very minor misalignment. A gentle assist by my wife's right hand during those last 4 inches insures proper alignment - i.e. no binding. I will stop by HWH on our way to the Center of the Universe (Bonita Springs, FL) for pump replacement. We had some more upgrades installed and I'm generally satisfied with the results. Time will tell, of course.
I'm not bragging or complaining, but I don't have any real problem about the $17,000.00 I've invested over 11 years in this MH. The issues with the slide, the jacks, and a fuel pump on the generator have been the ONLY "involuntary" wear and tear expenses. Everything else has been because we WANTED to, not because we HAD to. The ol' girl has served us well, and continues to do so, and we will continue to acknowledge her faithfulness by rewarding her with the best of care. As I mentioned, we've bonded - and THAT is a good thing! My bottom line: If ya gotta good Winnebago, and you like it, let her (or him) know it. And, like your wife, spend some money on her once in awhile, talk nice to her and think kind thoughts goin' down the road.
It sounds like you may be low on hydraulic oil. I believe the reservoir is just behind the grille off to the passengers side. There should be a breather cap on the top with a dipstick. There's a hex flange under the cap for a wrench to remove the cap and check/add oil.

Make sure the jacks are retracted and the slides are in before checking the oil. If they are out and you add oil the tank will overflow when everything is retracted. I believe it takes Dexron 3 transmission fluid. There is/was a tag on the top of the reservoir detailing the fluid needed. You can also use HWH hydraulic oil. It's the same as Dexron 3 but without the red color (it's clear). It was developed when earlier levelers used a joy stick in the passengers compartment. If you you developed a leak the carpet wouldn't be stained red.

If you are low on fluid I would check the lines to the equalizer cylinder. They may have slight leaks. If they do I would replace them before they break. If they break the slide will not go out straight and will get jammed in the opening.

Tags
install, led, slide