Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Room Skid

We have a 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 30A. While extending the dining room slide, the skid grabbed the vinyl floor and ripped it dragging it the torn piece under the slide floor. Whatever grabbed and ripped the floor is still connected to the skid and is continuing to now damage the plywood floor.

The skid appears to be a 1x4 covered with carpet.

My question is:

Is there a way to remove the skid without removing the slide?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Don't know if it would work for you but when I had my 04 National Tropi Cal I ran the slide out then made a T our of a 4X4 post with a 2X4 on top. I placed the T under the slide close to the side of the motorhome and used a floor jack to raise the skid off the floor. If you do this be sure and place blocks under the slide before putting your hands in there. If it falls you will loose your hand.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Re your slide damaging the floor

Here's a suggestion that I think would be less risky so you can get a little clearance under the skid inside your coach. Make or buy a couple of wood wedges and tap in under the skid when slide is out but not tight to its max travel this will give it some wiggle room and prevent over pressure against the frame. Once clearance is achieved a flat piece of steel such a hacksaw blade or long metal ruler slid side to side would hit the culprit so you can now determine best course of action, I suspect that a screw or nail is protruding causing the damage. Having helped a friend with the same issue we found that the front riser bolts under the slide need adjusting so to give enough clearance when travelling over the floor this was done and no more damage.
Hope this helps just take your time and as previously mentioned make sure the wedges or blocks stay in place if you get enough room to see and feel.
If it is a screw or nail sticking down use a hacksaw blade and cut off and then adjust front jack bolts just enough to raise the skid above your floor. Slide MFG will also have instructions for this although we just did it and it work for us.
Good Luck if you think I can help further let me know I'll keep watching.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to both for your suggestions. We ran the slide out halfway and levered it up. We were able to get about 1/4 inch clearance under the skid. I had some rigid plank vinyl a was able to run it under and removed 2 small stones that had gotten wedged underneath. Now we will just need to have the flooring replaced. But thankfully we won't have to have the slide removed.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Another update. We discovered that the stones are being brought into the coach on the soles of the Sketchers shoes the DH bought at Costco. Had this confirmed in a conversation with some neighbors having the same problem, they banished the Costco shoes from inside.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so, having the new flooring installed. Vinyl planks went in yesterday. It was 122 degrees, just as note. We pulled the slide in and locked up the coach. This morning, ran it out and tore a piece of the new floor in a different place. The installer says he cleaned under the skid before he put the floor down. He also says he doesn't believe the skid should ever touch the floor. Can't dislodge the piece of vinyl it grabbed. We have to leave town this weekend, the rest of the flooring will be done by end of day today. We'll have to deal with this in our next location. Any other ideas?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Ok, so, having the new flooring installed. Vinyl planks went in yesterday. It was 122 degrees, just as note. We pulled the slide in and locked up the coach. This morning, ran it out and tore a piece of the new floor in a different place. The installer says he cleaned under the skid before he put the floor down. He also says he doesn't believe the skid should ever touch the floor. Can't dislodge the piece of vinyl it grabbed. We have to leave town this weekend, the rest of the flooring will be done by end of day today. We'll have to deal with this in our next location. Any other ideas?
When we installed laminate flooring, I stapled door sweep strips to the slide edge and then installed stained oak baseboard over it. That kept stuff from getting under the slide. In addition before bringing the slide in we did a quick vacuum along the slide edge and then a quick Swifter wet mop along the edge.

Tags
slide