Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

On our last 90 mile journey, our large lounge slide-out crept out a couple of inches twice during the drive. If it happens on our next trip, I guess I need to replace the retract solenoid for that slide. (I do have a slide "lock" bar I can use that I presume will hold the slide in). Can anyone tell me where to find the retract/extend solenoids?

I had thought earlier that they are located with the leveling jack solenoids at the rear of the lounge slide with the fluid reservoir, but I'm not so sure now. Winnebago replaced the extend solenoid for the rear slide at GNR and I don't see any evidence of one being changed there.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On our last 90 mile journey, our large lounge slide-out crept out a couple of inches twice during the drive. If it happens on our next trip, I guess I need to replace the retract solenoid for that slide. (I do have a slide "lock" bar I can use that I presume will hold the slide in). Can anyone tell me where to find the retract/extend solenoids?

I had thought earlier that they are located with the leveling jack solenoids at the rear of the lounge slide with the fluid reservoir, but I'm not so sure now. Winnebago replaced the extend solenoid for the rear slide at GNR and I don't see any evidence of one being changed there.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Paul, I believe the solenoids are on the inboard side of the pump unit. Opposite the 4 leveler solenoids. KIX
Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Paul, forgot to tell you that sometimes the creeping is caused by debris on the solenoid seat. If you op-erate the slide in and out fully 3 - 4 times you may clear the debris. It's worth a shot.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
I had my drivers side front and rear slide solenoids replaced at GNR due to creeping out. Mine were under the top front staircase step. I also went to HWH (not too far from Winnie on I-80) and they also did some work on my jacks that retracted too slowly. Maybe a call to them (563.724.3396) or see their web page can give you the correct info. JG
Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Paul,

The slide solenoids are located on the pump unit with the leveling solenoids. The slide solenoids are the smaller 4 of the group of 8 solenoids and they have the small nut on the end for manual release. HWH will have you manually release each one with the slides retracted and then tighten the nut back up but do not over tighten these only require finger tight no great force. The levelers have the "T" handles on each solenoid for manual release. There are some great posts on replacing and trouble shooting this problem on this forum.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Granted, mine is an older unit, but I just went through the problem of slide creep. HWH diagnosed the extend solenoid as bad. The logic didn't make sense to me, my problem was with retracting, but HWH insisted that the extend solenoid had an internal leak and was allowing fluid through thus allowing the slide to creep out. Took their word for it and replaced the extend solenoid ($133) with a reman'd one. Problem solved.
Being old school, I also bought a new retract solenoid but have not needed to install it...yet.
Solenoid was located on the pump/reservoir and simple to replace. Water pump pliers and a single pigtail to unplug.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had problem with my front slide creeping out.What I find out by checking my hoses, was a bad hose. One end had a ballon and the other end had a ballon and busted. Where it comes off the sync cylinder had the ballon and the other end that tied into the ram had a ballon and it busted. To check the hoses that tie into the rams I had crawl into the bay. The front one was easy to check out the other one where the water pump is I had to remove the steel plate that protect the ram. That is where the hose was busted.I replaced the hoses. Part# AP24640. Sync cyl. Is mounted on the outside of frame between the two rams. A suppy line coming in and two hose coming out one too each of the rams.You might check them. I have had alot of problems with busted hose.Six I think,lose count.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Drove 300 miles today with no sign of the slide wanting to creep out, so maybe it worked out it's problem. I had my "slide lock bar" ready that I bought on a whim a couple of years ago... I may have to crawl clear under the rig sometime and take a better look at the rear side of the reservoir -- sure would be easier with a pit to park over!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

HWH, is that Holiday World of Houston?
Forgive my ignorance, but I have not seen that acronym before.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

HWH

All you want to know about HWH

Ken