Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Problem 2000 Winnebago Adventurer

Help! We just bought a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. Don’t have a clue what we’re doing. My problem is this. The bedroom slide out slides out on its own...about 2-3 inches when the coach is just sitting in the driveway. I don’t know whether it’s electric or hydraulic or other. It operates fine; just. Not stay put. Is this typical? Can a DIY-er tackle this job? Dan
Danbaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello and welcome. I have renamed your thread so that readers can see at a glance what you need help with.

Do you know if your slides have locks?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No locks
Old 09-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
our 2000 suncruiser was a twin to your adventurer. it didn't have locks but there are straps to secure it. you should see a cleat on the floor near where the sofa and driver's seat meet.

but i don't think that's your problem. first, check your hydraulic fluid level. the fill neck and dip stick is located right in front when you open the hood. you may have to add some fluid (brake fluid). be sure to check the level with the jacks up and rooms in.

but i think the real problem is an open or leaky solonoid valve. there are two valves for each room and leveling jacks. your owners manual will show you where they are in the engine compartment. one valve to extend the rooms/jack, one when retracting the room/jack. each valve will have a T-handle. be sure each T-handle is tightly closed (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey). if they're all tight you'll need to replace the bad valve.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I’ll check that fluid level and make sure the handle is tight.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
our 2000 suncruiser was a twin to your adventurer. it didn't have locks but there are straps to secure it. you should see a cleat on the floor near where the sofa and driver's seat meet.

but i don't think that's your problem. first, check your hydraulic fluid level. the fill neck and dip stick is located right in front when you open the hood. you may have to add some fluid (brake fluid). be sure to check the level with the jacks up and rooms in.

Please don't put BRAKE FLUID in the hydraulic reservoir. Check the owner's manual for the correct stuff to add. There's a bunch of discussion on what is the best for the HWH tank.

I'll go along with the rest of what rk911 says about checking the solenoid valves for tightness. Be careful so as not to over tighten the T handles. Try backing them off a bit to get the feeling of how loose feels and then gently turn them closed. I think they say not more than 1/4 turn tighter than barely closed.
The rooms should stay fully in with what is called a hydraulic lock. If the solenoids are leaky or not fully closed, then the hydraulic lock is compromised.

Stan
Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchflicke View Post
Please don't put BRAKE FLUID in the hydraulic reservoir. Check the owner's manual for the correct stuff to add. There's a bunch of discussion on what is the best for the HWH tank.

I'll go along with the rest of what rk911 says about checking the solenoid valves for tightness. Be careful so as not to over tighten the T handles. Try backing them off a bit to get the feeling of how loose feels and then gently turn them closed. I think they say not more than 1/4 turn tighter than barely closed.
The rooms should stay fully in with what is called a hydraulic lock. If the solenoids are leaky or not fully closed, then the hydraulic lock is compromised.

Stan
brain fart..big time. not brake fluid....automatic transmission fluid is what we used. thanks, switchflicke.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That's what I was hoping you would say. I use ATF as well.
Stan

Tags
slide, winnebago, adventurer