Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide out travel bars?

Good morning all, I have hunted through this forum looking for the answer to my question without success. First off my motorhome is a 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N. Now the question...I'm wondering where to place them on the slide out and how many travel bars to use per slide out? Most of the discussion is whether or not to use them. Some swear at them while others swear by them but that is not the information I seek. My kitchen full hall slide out along the front edge moves out approximately 2" out while travelling while the rear edge stays in place so using the travel bar is a given. I just can't find out where to place them...on the top, the bottom, the middle, or top and bottom. I'm hoping that those that use these travel bars will chime in as to the where they put them and how many per slide out do you use. Thanks
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsquid View Post
Good morning all, I have hunted through this forum looking for the answer to my question without success. First off my motorhome is a 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N. Now the question...I'm wondering where to place them on the slide out and how many travel bars to use per slide out? Most of the discussion is whether or not to use them. Some swear at them while others swear by them but that is not the information I seek. My kitchen full hall slide out along the front edge moves out approximately 2" out while travelling while the rear edge stays in place so using the travel bar is a given. I just can't find out where to place them...on the top, the bottom, the middle, or top and bottom. I'm hoping that those that use these travel bars will chime in as to the where they put them and how many per slide out do you use. Thanks
Devilsquid
I suggest you contact Winnebago Industries and ask where and how to use travel bars, (aka: transit bars). on the slides of your Vista 27N.
Contact Winnebago Industries | Call, Mail, or Visit Winnebago
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Devilsquid
I suggest you contact Winnebago Industries and ask where and how to use travel bars, (aka: transit bars). on the slides of your Vista 27N.
Contact Winnebago Industries | Call, Mail, or Visit Winnebago
Mel
'96 Safari
That would ruin the "fun" here!!

If people started contacting the manufacturers we wouldn't have anything to discuss on the forum other than peoples modifications and mistakes!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Since you do not describe a socket for the bar being installed in the wall, adjacent to the slide opening, then your travel bar (AKA: Slide Lock, Transit Bar) probably has flat paddles on both ends.

So...the best place to put the bar is at the front/top corner of the slide. Avoid crushing any seals and do not over tighten. The standard picture on websites shows this position....like here:
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/better...-safety-locks/
We have no affiliation to DIYRV.

The corner is the stronger part of the slide and wall with an intersection of framing under the finished surface. The top corner is better for the bar than the corner at the floor because the floor usually has rollers or a part of the slide drive built-in.

About the rear (trailing) end of a slide...it is less prone to wander out, but if you notice any gaping on the seals, then a second bar could be used.

The slide lock will reduce road noise and seal wear from slide movement. BUT - WARNING...If you forget to remove the bar when opening the slide, severe damage can happen to the slide drive and/or the slide flashing.

Our slide drive is keyed (no key - no slide operation) so the key hangs on a ring and the ring hangs on the slide lock while in transit. This makes an accidental slide operation with the bar installed, impossible Just how we do it.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Scarab0088 thank you for your input based on what you do. My slide system is also key protected and I, following your lead, have attached the key via Velcro to one of the bars. Need to remove the bar in order to turn on the system. Hopefully this we keep me from destroying my slide outs.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Slide noise

My slide makes a terrible rubbing noise on rough pavement, drives me nuts. Had it in for warranty service, they did a few things, noise the same. I hadn't
Thought about a slide bar, but it sounds like it would help my problem, good idea fastening the key to the bar.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I put the bar at the upper left corner ( by the door ) on top of the slide and also Velcro the key to the slide bar. That way we can't operate the slide with the lock in place.

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have 2 bars and have been using them for over a year. I put them in the middle between the bottom and top. I have had no issues with squeaking or movement during traveling. Good idea mounting the key to the bar.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

When we bought our 30W Vista, our dealer told us they were "just to throw away or keep in the closet. Our first trip going down the freeway, my wife noticed the front of the driver side slide moving in and out at the top (we also found the passenger slide moving). I was advised to place the bar near the top front of the slide(s) by Winnebago. It has worked fine. We never hit the road without the bars in place. Another thing we did was put the slideout key on a key ring with a loop strap. After bringing the slides in, we loop the "key loop" over one of the bars before putting it in place. This prevents us from trying to extend the slides before removing the bar. I don't understand why Winnebago doesn't put an auto lock on the Vista slides either as standard equipment or as an option. In the meantime we will continue to use the bars religiously EVERYTIME.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I use mine 100% of the time, and the previous posts on
positioning are correct. Your dealer was ignorant.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If using the bars on a slide that has the underneath arms, then I would agree to place them high as there is only holding force on the bottom.

If using the bars on a Schwintek, the mechanism holds the slide in from the top and bottom so to provide even force I would place the bars in the middle.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Slide out travel bars

We have had our 2015 27N since November 2014 and have used slide locks since almost day one. We have used two slide locks, one at the front and one at the back of the large wall slide. We had problems with the large passenger wall slide creeping out and making noises while driving down the road. The slide locks has solved this problem. Not knowing any better, I placed the locks about 12 to 18" inches from the floor. This method has worked well for over 21,000 miles.

I have placed a sign over the slide switch reminding me to remove the locks before extending the slides.

The slide locks are a pain to use, but if they help prevent problems with the Schwintek slides, then I guess it's worth the effort.

Terry
2015 Vista 27N
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #13
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I ask Winnebago about the bars. They responded that they did not require them but thought that the us of them was a good idea. They provided a right up on were best to place them.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I ask Winnebago about the bars. They responded that they did not require them but thought that the us of them was a good idea. They provided a right up on were best to place them.
And what did their write up on where to place them say to do? Perhaps you can share the information you got from them so we could all know what is best.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have three of the flat pads in my garage as I never have used them on any rv's Ive had...

IMHO, if I'm doing something that makes those 5000+ lb slides move, I've got more problems than a lil slide movement
Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone who responded with their personal experience using locking bars. It's really helpful to learn from others (the strength of a forum with free flowing exchange of information). To respond to JohnBoyToo's comment about not doing something to move a 5000lbs slide. I had my slide locking bars (or transit bars if you prefer) in and tightened to just beyond tight (a tight snug), went into a curved driveway (which might have been a little taller than normal) the coach swayed back and forth a couple of times and the locking bar on my full wall slide out fell out so just past tight was not tight enough and yes the slide out will and do move. By the way the lock bars really reduced the squeaking noises from the slide outs...now if I could only get the screen door to quiet down....
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I forgot, I didn't want to appear to "rag" on JohnBoyToo's comment but when normal driving can cause a slide out to move, it would be hard to avoid that situation.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #18
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Here is the information that Winnebago service adviser provided, I also ask him if I should place one on both the front and the back of each side. He recommended place on front and back. Now this was based on my coach and the drives on my coach. 2015 Cambria. If you have a different drive his advice maybe different.
He also provided the following based on my questions. ("The 10 year roof warranty is non-transferable to the 2nd owner, the 3 year structural warranty is not as well.")

Hope this information helps. I ask Winnebago a lot of questions. This is my 5th Winnebago. From class C, Class A gas, and Class A DP. Loved all of them. Latest one is Cambria 27K best yet.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Screen Door noise

Devilsquid,

The door/screen on my 27N Vista would also squeak. It would make noises one day, then quiet the next. At first I thought it was the passenger side slide, but soon narrowed it down to the door.

Based upon some comments in this forum, I applied a piece of electrical tape to the door post. This is the post that sticks out from the door jam which the door lock to. This completely eliminated the sound. While a piece of tape is not a permanent fix, it told me where to put my efforts to fix the noise. So far the tape has solved the problem, but one day when I have nothing better to do I will look for a more permanent solution.

You gotta love this forum!

Terry
2015 27N Vista
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, travel