Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide-out topper cover

I have just noticed that the cover, or tube, for my slide-out topper is bowed out in the middle. There are leaves packed inside the tube, so not sure if they caused the bow, or if they came afterward it was bowed out. This is on my large slide, approx 27 feet, and I don't see any support in the middle. Any idea on how to fix this.
Thanks
Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	141489  
Old 10-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There are 2 screws on each end of the slide cover that go fore & aft. They are in the plastic end cap. Take one end off at a time, let the cover droop and clean out the leaves. put that end back on then do the same for the other end. If you have a awning there also you can open the awning apprx 6" and remove both ends. The awning will support the plastic cover that runs the entire length of the topper. Then you can remove the screws from both end caps and let the plastic cover rest on your awning. When you finish cleaning out behind the cover close your awning & this will help with resecuring the end caps. Word of caution, if the long plastic cover opens too far you will need 2 people to reinstall it into it's track. I beleive the bow in yours is due to all the debris stuck in between the cover & the slide topper. Hope this helps.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice Dan. I will give that a try.
Brent
Old 10-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Brent,

I was and am still trying to make out what your image is showing. Looks like a reflection in glass?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The picture is taken from the end of the slide-out. It is showing the slide topper as well as the cover tube. There is a larger gap between the tube and the topper in the middle. The reflection that you noticed is just the reflection off the cover tube.
Brent
Old 10-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Is it bowed out as much as it seems to look like in the picture? Almost looks like some pretty good damage but maybe I'm not 'seeing' it correctly? -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If your slide topper assembly is made by 'Carefree', they are designed to flip up to be cleaned out. You loosen the top screw at each end of the cover, and remove the bottom screw at each end. There is a sliding catch in the middle that slides to the left to release, then the entire cover can be flipped up for cleaning. (perhaps 2 catches considering the length of your cover)

There is a support for the roll of fabric the is hidden under the roll. With the length of your cover (27') there may be two supports at the 1/3 points. You can check out the Carefree documents to know for sure.

From your photo, the gap looks more like a bent cover, than just a bow because of debris. You won't know till you flip it up and inspect it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I flipped the cover down and found a fair amount of leaves and twig debris. After cleaning it out, the bow is still there, but it looks worse in the picture than it actually appears because of zooming in. I think the bow might have been caused by a combination of the leaves and snow being inside the cover when I retracted the slide. I had swept the snow off the topper before retracting the slide, but some had worked its way inside the cover anyway.
We are in a pretty treed in campsite right now, so it's hard to get a good look at it to see if it appears bent from the ground. If it's unsightly I will have to replace both tubes.
Brent

Tags
slide