Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Slide-out tie down strap

Our Itasca has a strap to secure the slide to the floor when traveling. How important is it to use that strap ? Our previous MH did not have such a tie-down and there was never a problem with the slide moving out while in motion. If you have such a strap, do you use it? / Gogators
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We also had straps to secure the slide on our rig. We never used them and when we replaced the carpet with tile, I elected to not reinstall the floor brackets. The strap and bracket eventually got redesigned and recycled for use in holding the bedroom LCD in place while we're in motion.

Short answer is no, we don't use ours for it's intended use. I always thought it was a CYA for Itasca.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Never used it. I don't even know where the strap is anymore. When we picked ours up 3 years ago, the tech doing the walk through unhooked it and said "you don't really need this." I think that's the list time I saw the strap, even though the bracket is still in the floor.

Steve
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I figured I'd use ours til I either pulled it out or lost it.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have information of two reasons for the straps. 1. The CDL Drivers that deliver your coach are required to have it secured ( unconfirmed) 1. CYA on lawyers advice ( unconfirmed) I've never used mine and if you examine the straps and have any idea how much weight is involved on the slide plus the little clip with tiny screws I don't hink it would do much more than slow it down.
NEVER USED THEN NEVER WILL!!! vbugles
vbugles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I use the strap (1) always. Not sure just how good it would actually do holding the slide closed during a failure but I use it mostly for peace of mind.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Have you called Winnebago and asked them the purpose?

There must be a reason and use for them.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had one on my 2003 Suncruiser and we used it all the time.

FYI, if your DW leaves the strap on while demonstrating to the neighborhood kids how cool the slideout is, the wall bracket will tear off before the floor bracket will tear off. Just in case you're ever in that situation...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

used once forget to unhook pulled trim from sofa area, stop in time no major damage never used again.
VR AND JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I was told by someone, somewhere, sometime that the tie down strap was intended to hold the front edge of the slideout in so that wind or water could not get behind it and cause an issue. Don't know if that is true, but attaching the strap is part of our departure check list.

I have only activated the slideout switch once without unhooking the strap. Pulled the trim strip off the wall for about 18 inches. I figure if Winnebago had intended for us not to use it, they would not have put it on the coach. There is no strap on our rear bedroom slide, BTW.

Use it or not--your choice--no biggie.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators View Post
Our Itasca has a strap to secure the slide to the floor when traveling. How important is it to use that strap ? Our previous MH did not have such a tie-down and there was never a problem with the slide moving out while in motion. If you have such a strap, do you use it? / Gogators
i use the original 2 straps on the front slide and designed one strap for the rear slide.
that is a long story. check the archives by using the search function. it is not a good thing when a slide extends while you are moving.
we have 2x4 pieces cut to length that we put in the overhead to lock the slides from the top also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I spoke with two different service techs at the factory about this. Both told me that the straps were not really needed. One said that the strap could help hold the slide against the sealing gasket so wind and water could not enter while underway.

I have not used my strap for over six years and 46,000 miles and have had no problems with water leakage.

As a side note, when we bought the coach (brand new) the trim piece was already broken because someone had opened the slide with the strap in place and the dealer had to order and install a new one.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

IMO, that little strap would be useless in preventing the slide from creeping out if/when one of the solenoids fails. It will serve primarily to rip the wood trim off the slide and/or pull the screws out of the floor.

If you really want to prevent the slide from deploying or creeping out when not desired, a wooden block wedged between the slide flange and the coach wall would be much more effective.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have read somewhere or was told that it was prevent the slide from deploying or creeping when in extremely hot weather. Said the fluid in the HWH would expand and cause the slide to creep out and then the (scare your pants off) sound of the alarm going off. I have not used mine since buying the MH new and have only experianced the alarm once.
JOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just made a post on the following thread about my experience with this:
"Finally yanked the slide strap out of the floor"

This thread has a lot of good info as well about this subject.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote