Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Out Seal Coming Out

Hi: This is my first time posting... hope I have the right forum. Could not find one on slide-outs.

When I extend the 12-13 ft. slide-out on my '97 Class A Itasca Suncruiser about 3-4 feet of the rubber/poly seal comes partially out on the front part of the unit. The rear seal is OK. I am wondering if there is a way to get it to stay in... .gluing or otherwise without having to remove the whole unit. The seal is not hard nor cracked and feels soft and maluable. I usually just push it back in the 3 inches or so and the seal works fine (no leaks).

I can see where I could probably get some glue of sorts behind the central portion of the rubber seal if I extend the slide only half way out and open the window on the front part to access it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

You may e-mail me directly however that works in this forum/website.
tkamsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, you've found the right forum to post this question in. Hopefully, one of our experts will be along soon with suggestions.

Best of luck. We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Without seeing the seal i can only assume it either has a groove that part of it sets in or it is glued/ or originally attached with two way tape. If its taped/glued you can use some 3M trim adhesive found at most auto parts stores, comes in black or yellow.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Without seeing the seal i can only assume it either has a groove that part of it sets in or it is glued/ or originally attached with two way tape. If its taped/glued you can use some 3M trim adhesive found at most auto parts stores, comes in black or yellow.
Thank you.. It's a groove seal. I have read that using talcum powder on the seal will ensure that it does not stick to the slide and not cause this problem. I am hopeful because I am fairly sure this seal has not had ANY maintenance as such since installed.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

So the seal pops out of its seat? You can try two things, clean and wax the slide surface and use some of the commercial slide seal lubricant on the seal..
Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Easy solution

Clean the seal surface and apply some clear 3M caulk along the edge of the seal. It will hold the seal and add some extra protection when the slide is closed.

Good luck and happy travels!
wbryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bill, and thanks to Gary and Rick for their advice. I am excited about employing most of the techniques you have suggested. What I like most about the responses is that they are all common sense solutions. I will have to wait till the weather warms up a bit here in MD first though. My rig is presently in the shop getting a new slide-out cover replaced. It will be interesting to see what the shop recommends as a solution to the seal problem. Will let you all know when I find out.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkamsal View Post
I have read that using talcum powder on the seal will ensure that it does not stick to the slide and not cause this problem.
Are there any other products that can be safely used; for example, can you spray some sort of silicone or Teflon lubricants? -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I looked on the Camping World Site and only found the spray lubricant for the undercarriage of the slide out for the metal parts... slides and gears. GaryKK above notes that one can use some of the commercial slide seal lubricant on the seal. I also haven't been to my local RV store to look yet. If anyone has specifics on manufacturers or products, I would appreciate hearing about them.
Also see wbryson "easy solution" message above to use 3M clear caulk on the seal itself.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I think you could safely use a silicone spray on the seals, in fact I recall in my old SunnyBrook manual they mentioned that
Old 03-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkamsal View Post
Hi: This is my first time posting... hope I have the right forum. Could not find one on slide-outs.

When I extend the 12-13 ft. slide-out on my '97 Class A Itasca Suncruiser about 3-4 feet of the rubber/poly seal comes partially out on the front part of the unit. The rear seal is OK. I am wondering if there is a way to get it to stay in... .gluing or otherwise without having to remove the whole unit. The seal is not hard nor cracked and feels soft and maluable. I usually just push it back in the 3 inches or so and the seal works fine (no leaks).

I can see where I could probably get some glue of sorts behind the central portion of the rubber seal if I extend the slide only half way out and open the window on the front part to access it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

You may e-mail me directly however that works in this forum/website.
tkamsal
You might try cleaning the groove and the trim that the slide seal groove slides on to then run a bead of silicon in the seal grove. Before it drys position the seal straight against the slide out so it can set and dry before use. If this doesn't work your seal may need to be replaced. 115076-01-000 is your slide out seal sold by the foot.
Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1648497746.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	57648   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3375737298.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	57649  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1243844025.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	57650  
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have found that 303 Protectorant is the best thing to use in the slide seals. I had to have my replaced last year, essentially the same problem and it has not had any issues since. Cost to rplace over 10 foot of the seal was under $150.00 at Centennial RV in Grand Junction, Co
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I used 3m weather strip adhevise on mine seamed to work good so far
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

From the original poster:

Thought I would thank you all again for your insight and give you an update on the status of the seal.

Since the RV was at the shop anyway I had the techs analyze the problem. I had them replace the seal for a total of $150 (which seems to be the going price). It was done at Queenstown RV in Beltsville, MD.

I will certainly use some of your suggestions on the back seal which was/is ok before it becomes a problem.

Tags
seal, slide, slide out