Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Slide out room repair costs.

It's time to renew my Goodsam extended warranty. I am trying to find information to help me determine whether or not the add-on cost of slide-out coverage is a good value. I don't ever remember this topic coming up in any conversations with other Rv'ers. Comments as to frequency and expense of these types of repairs would be appreciated. I currently own a '99 34' Itasca Suncruiser with a 14' slide.
gwaychoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum.

My '03 has two slideouts ...repairs for them has been minimal. Under warranty we had some minor repair to seals on one. The smaller slide had a problem with the hydraulic ram ...after a couple of inexpensive repair attempts by a dealer I fixed it myself for a few dollars. I have put new cloth on the slide toppers twice @ $162 the first time and $285 the second when I got much better quality cloth. We have lived in the coach fulltime for 6 1/2 years and have a bit over 60k miles on it. I rarely do extended warranties on anything.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

We haven't been so lucky. DH has a difficult time with arthritis and can't get under the coach to do a lot of work so we have to hire it out.

About a year and a half ago, we had the front slide develop a hydrualic leak where hoses and actuator had to be replaced which turned into an $1,800 dollar repair. This year it was the rear slide and it was $1,200 to have the two hoses replaced. We have no extended warranty or insurance.

I'm sure if we shopped around, it would have cost much less but both were circumstances where we really needed to get it done quickly.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaychoff View Post
It's time to renew my Goodsam extended warranty. I am trying to find information to help me determine whether or not the add-on cost of slide-out coverage is a good value. I don't ever remember this topic coming up in any conversations with other Rv'ers. Comments as to frequency and expense of these types of repairs would be appreciated. I currently own a '99 34' Itasca Suncruiser with a 14' slide.
When you consider the deductible, a monthly payment, and the exclusions in the contract it is a tough call. The RVs I have owned with slides have never given me a problem other than a small leak I can't locate. I think the most likely problem will be normal wear and tear which usually falls under the exclusion area. If the deductible and monthly payments are put into a savings account instead you may come out ahead if you take good care of your coach.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a $1200.00 repair to our 03 Sightseer. I think the part was called an actuator. The slide has 2. I figured if one went bad, the other was on it's way out also. So we replaced both. After the repair our slide developed a leak. This time it was $660.00 for new seals. Glad I got rid of the boat, we were always putting money into it.
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

In the 6 years we had the Avion 5er, thank goodness we had the extended warranty. The slide repairs totaled about $5000.00.

Ken
Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

re: slide our info

Thanks to all who responded. Your experiences give me more insight. I have already replaced the hydraulic pump and the slide topper. (The pump developed a leak and the topper I lost to a wind storm.) Because my coach is more than 5 yrs old, the hoses and seals and not covered. My rig is a diesel pusher, so, I am reluctant to drop the chassis coverage but I think that the slide out and leveling jacks coverage will have to go. I wish all of you safe and happy travels.

Note to the irv2 staff. I love this web site, keep up the good work.
gwaychoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaychoff View Post
Thanks to all who responded. Your experiences give me more insight. I have already replaced the hydraulic pump and the slide topper. (The pump developed a leak and the topper I lost to a wind storm.) Because my coach is more than 5 yrs old, the hoses and seals and not covered. My rig is a diesel pusher, so, I am reluctant to drop the chassis coverage but I think that the slide out and leveling jacks coverage will have to go. I wish all of you safe and happy travels.

Note to the irv2 staff. I love this web site, keep up the good work.
I thought seals and tires were addons but did not realize that slides and jacks were separate. When I had the plan I opted for the seals and gaskets on my previous coach because a $2.00 seal failure could ruin any chance of getting help on resultant serious and costly damages. I may stand corrected but I think the levelers are included in the basic coverage.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, slide