Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

slide out moves in the wind

I have a 2006 Suncruiser model 38J. When driving down the highway in strong winds that are coming from the drivers side the slide out on the passenger will tip out at the top anywhere from 6 to 8 inches or more. this only happens when the wind is strong and gusty. Winnebago customer service tells me this is normal. Is anyone else seeing this with their coach?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with my 2003 Adventurer 35U
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had that happen to the front, passenger-side slide in my 2005 Vectra a number of years ago in a very strong wind crossing while driving across the upper midwest. I think it only tipped out about 3", but it certainly was startling for the passengers riding in the dinette seat in the slide!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sure sounds strange that this would be normal.

Maybe you could remedy it with a poor man's slide lock. Cut two lengths of 2x4 that would ride on top of your slide when retracted and fill the space between the slide trip and the coach wall so the top of the slide can't extend.

The challenge then is to always make sure you remove them before extending the slide.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A 2006 should have come with slide locks or at least a locking 'strap'.
You may want to check your owners manual (its online).
Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The 'locking strap' which came with my two front slides wouldn't have held anything and would have just pulled the trim off the slide.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Doesn't seem right! We've never had a problem like that with ours and I almost never use the locks other then I do lock the one right behind my head because it rattles otherwise.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had that happen in March while on my way to Florida. I had a heavy wind off the right side and the left side slide was out about 3 or 4 inches. It scared me at first. I opened the windows in the left slide and all was OK. It was built up inside pressure from the wind on the right side. While at the factory on the way home I was told it was normal in that kind of situation

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the comments. The slides have straps but as noted they are all but useless except as a tripping hazard. As this only happens in strong gusty winds I will try and see if I can find some short cargo bars to use.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

There are two things.. First if it's only happening at the top and you have Rack & Pinion type slide (or hydraulic) then you do not actually have a problem. If you have cable cars .. Problem. (Broken or mal-adjusted cable or a loose nut or two.. Seriously the kind of nut that screws onto a bolt)

On my house the slide lock is an expando bar

This is a turn buckle bar in reverse, the standard turnbuckle has two bolts, one left hand thread, and a large double nut that you turn to tighten them together.

The expando is much the same thing, it is a pipe with a nut in each end (one left handed) and two bolts (likewise) one end has a "T" bar on it and the other a notch, the notch goes over a pin in a hole in the wall and the "T" presses on the frame of the slideout near the top. Twist to expand and that slide is L*O*C*K*E*D*! in place (That is locked with attitude).

I can look up the make if you wish, but you should be able to take this post to a dealer and they can do it for you.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We have that issue with our 06 Vectra. We bought expandable slide locks to use in when driving in windy conditions and this seems to work fine.
Holoien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

x2 on ricko's idea for using 2x3 or 2x4 lumber lengths. i use 2x3's.
i attached 12'' lengths of red ribbon to my lumber pieces to remind me when they are in place.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have never seen this problem on the road traveling with the slides in. But I have seen the tops come in and slam out a couple times camped with the slides out when it became very windy. If high winds are predicted we usually run the slides in now. I think in your case blocking at the top will cure the problem. But normal, no.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

After much research I have found some short threaded cargo bars at www.RvPartsNationcom. They call them Extend-A -Vice and adjust from 18" to 30". The price is right and they look like they are very well made. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Had same problem once while traveling west on 1-90 from Mitchell to Rapid City, SD. Very strong winds from the passenger side pushed the top of the LR slide out on the left. I talked to Winnebago and they also recommended using some sort of wooden wedge or expandable slide gizmo at the tops when I travel in strong winds.

My solution is to stay put when the wind is blowing that hard. These winds were pushing me over the center line at times.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide