Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Does your slide-out mark the carpet at the front and back of the slide as it goes in & out (living room slide)? We use a 6 inch wide strip of thin plastic poster sheet from Hobby Lobby under each end of the slide to keep it from grooving and discoloring the carpet (and this requires two of us holding the plastic each time the room is run in or out but it keeps the carpet clean). Also all along the inside edge of the slide from front to back the slide leaves about a 3-4 inch wide impression in the carpet where the slide rests on it in the in position and is quite visible for several days after the slide is run out. They said the slide had to set on something. I had the factory adjust the slide for this last fall and all they said was "it has to be this way". The only adjusting they did was to align everything up on the outside of the coach so it looks right when the slide is in. I told them I didn't care what it looks like from the outside, I want things right on the inside but that didn't seem to make any difference. I have another appointment this October (gad I hate to make that 1500 mile round trip again) so I'll see if they get the message any better the second time. Kind of like the fellow said about training a mule, first thing you need to do is whack him between the eyes with a club to get his attention. The techs listen but I don't think they really hear.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does your slide-out mark the carpet at the front and back of the slide as it goes in & out (living room slide)? We use a 6 inch wide strip of thin plastic poster sheet from Hobby Lobby under each end of the slide to keep it from grooving and discoloring the carpet (and this requires two of us holding the plastic each time the room is run in or out but it keeps the carpet clean). Also all along the inside edge of the slide from front to back the slide leaves about a 3-4 inch wide impression in the carpet where the slide rests on it in the in position and is quite visible for several days after the slide is run out. They said the slide had to set on something. I had the factory adjust the slide for this last fall and all they said was "it has to be this way". The only adjusting they did was to align everything up on the outside of the coach so it looks right when the slide is in. I told them I didn't care what it looks like from the outside, I want things right on the inside but that didn't seem to make any difference. I have another appointment this October (gad I hate to make that 1500 mile round trip again) so I'll see if they get the message any better the second time. Kind of like the fellow said about training a mule, first thing you need to do is whack him between the eyes with a club to get his attention. The techs listen but I don't think they really hear.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
Old 08-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our LR slide leaves indentations in the carpet but there is no discoloration. I would not think that is something unique to Winnebago motorhomes.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dents in the carpet are normal. Stains are not.you say 1500 mile roundtrip! Have you tried Mclain RV in Oklahoma city? They were very good when we needed help.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:01 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Both the 2004 Journey AND the 2006 Vectra I had left carpet "tracks" from where the slide goes in and out...I agree it's inherent with the Winnebago products.

If you're getting a discoloration, that'd be something for them to look at...

Unless you like taking the tour when you're there,if that's the only issue you have, you just saved yourself a trip...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #6

This will happen with almost every rig over time. The rollers pick up dirt and such over time. So it gets transferred to the carpet.

I was sent some information on a product just a short while ago that is supposed to help frevent this.

After reading this post I went and "Dug up" the info. (Something I guess I should have posted earlier in hindsight)

Here is a link to the site where a product called "Slide-out slicker" can be found.

I have not used or seen one yet. BUT, I have put some "Home Grown" or "Home made" strips of plastic down on my rig before that are simular. (After cleaning the marks off the carpet) These seemed to keep the carpet from getting messed up again. From what the information looks like, mine were not as easy to use. (No foam on the backside, so mine had to be held in place or they would slide or move) Not to mention a LOT less hassle, as I would not have to spend time cuttin them out and such..
Don (W5IT) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Pricey little things at $36 each.

With two per slide, triple and quad units would add up fast. Looks like they'd get the job done though.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yup - same thing here - a dirty black streak on the carpet from the left front slide track

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I also get indents in carpet on front and sides and have since new,however,no streaks,grease,etc. A beater brush vacuum fluffs the carpet pile back up.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B,W22,Bilstein Shocks,Steer Safe Stabilizer,Surge Guard,Remco Tow Bar,Chevy Tracker Toad,BrakePro,FMCA F354676,UltraPower Upgrade,
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

.. had a 1999 Chieftain 34Y... no indentations and no stains on slides. Now have a 32v 2001 Adventurer ... depression in the carpet .. no marks or stains. Go figure. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Don- Sounds like you are having to do exactly what I am doing. The material we are using under the slide is in about a 24" to 28" square from Hobby Lobby and is a slick white sheet of thin plactic that sells for $1.99. Have to cut new 6" strips after every trip or two. When I said stain on the carpet I guess I really meant just the dirt & grease the slide picks up from the outside. Its really a nuisance to have to get down on our kneess to hold this in place front and back of the slide while I trip the switch with a long dowell rod with a rubber tip on it, but at least we don't have to clean the carpet every 2 or 3 ins and outs. I thank everyone for all their excellent responses. The main reason for the trip to Forest City is because I'm still getting engine fumes or odors in the coach while traveling if the wind seems to be from either the side or tail, especially if running slow in traffic or pulling heavy up a long grade. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not the coach air is on or whether or not the dash air is on or off. It seems to help a little bit if the dash air or vent is on outside air and not inside recirculating air. Sometimes we have to open a front window. I'd patched several small holes before going to Forest City last fall, they said they filled a crack between two panels underneith the utility compartment, and I found a couple more after getting home but the fumes are still there. I almost feel ready to go back to my gassers. Thanks again for all the responses on the carpet (you'd think Winnebago could make a slide work without dragging on the carpet).
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Haven't tried Mc Clains in OKC for any repair work even tho we're only about 110 miles north of them, they don't have too good a reputation around here for service work. And when I was looking for my DP they were $21,000 higher for the trade-in difference than the dealer I traded with. They are very friendly tho. Two other Winnebago dealers I contacted about the slide adjustments claimed they didn't do that kind of repairs, and the 3rd one said if two others couldn't do it there wasn't any sense in wasting their time trying.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #13

If you are concerned about the indents in the carpet - just run the vacuum over them and they go away. I would use a strip of that carpet protector that they put down in rigs to keep the carpet clean when they are showing it. The stuff comes in a roll and is like Sarn Wrap. We also use in when the grand kids come and cover the carpet in the house around the dinning room table where they sit. Works great! You can pick it up from your RV dealer. As I said they use it to protect the carpet in their pre sold rigs.
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote