Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Angry Slide Out Manual retrieve warning

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey and when I started to leave Co. the slides wouldn't come in. After several phone calls to HWH, I attempted the manual retract procedure. This is an alert to some of the pitfalls you may not be prepared for. The winch provided is poorly designed and will twist and bend when subjected to a heavy load. The main slide must be raised with two jack on the corners before you can attempt to bring the slide in. In my unit the only thing I could connect the winch to is the couch leg and it is far enough off center to cause the slide to come in on oneside and put itself in a bind if pulled in far enough. Also the use of liberal amounts of silicon lubricant is highly recommended, something they don't tell you in the manual. The off center problem was corrected with the use of a "Come Along" attached under the slide out to the side that isn't coming in with the winch.
A full day was required to get the rear slide in, which can be pushed in by the hands and backs of two or three people, and to get the front slide started and to discover the binding problem and the bending and twisting of the winch. The second day involved the relocation of the winch on the bracket to lower the winch and make use of the welded braces included. Then we purchased the Come along and was able to work the slide in by tightening the winch to bring in the front and the come along to bring in the back. All this was done in time to allow us to leave at noon on the second day and head for home.
I was told that the later model motor homes have an improved retrieval system, but I would strongly recommend that you check this out with Winnebago and be sure that you have the necessary knowledge and equipment to do this job, as you can't go anywhere until it is done.
We could find no one in South West Colorado that could work on our system, so we had to take the above actions ourselves and will have the motor home repaired when we get home to Dallas. I hope this long thread helps someone to avoid the trials and troubles that we went through

R. Rice

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the alert and helpful info. As another '02 Journey owner, I have wondered if that little winch would begin to retract that big slide. My rig has an eye bolt mounted alongside the back wall of the slide to which the winch hook is to be attached. It is not in the center of the slide, for sure. This is the dreaded problem for all of us with slides. Not being able to deploy a slide is a nuisance, at best. Not being able to retract a slide is a show-stopper .

Please let us know what caused the issue. I've had the pump motor fail 4 years ago and have considered having a spare with me. I carry a spare solenoid for the slides.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We encountered the same problem on our maiden journey back in 2004. The hydraulic pump failed (with only 3000 miles on the motorhome) and we were stuck in a Pecos, Texas Wal-mart parking lot for three days as various technicians attempted to get the big slide-out back in using the "HWH" method. We also ended up using a come-along as well as brute strength and some serious cussing.

At least now I know what to do if the slide-outs don't retract. Shoot myself.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger
The preliminary diagnoses is a failed motor. I have one on order and may keep it for a spare along with a relay or two.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Slide out manual retrieve warning

Three questions guys.....what do you mean when you say you had to place jacks under the cornors of the slide....do you mean you raised that side with the HWH jacks?...Also, where are the relays located for the motor and what kind are they?...What is approx cost of spare motor and where to buy...going on a 3 month western trip this summer and want to be prepared for the worst,,,,,,thanks....RKL
Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The Jacks I referred to are bottle jacks placed under the corners of the slide. I had to buy one, as I only had one to start with. The motor cost $190. ordered from HWH The entire assembly is located just behind the front slide on the drivers side, on my M/H. I don't know about the relays, but I would/will get them from HWH for my particular system. Wish me luck, we go in for repairs today.

R. Rice

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Slideout manual retrieval warning

Robert rice..thanks for the info..I still can't picture where the bottle jacks go....under the edges of the Stor-mor compartments?..or some where else...Also, where did you find the model number of your slide system...Is it listed on the manual that came with the winne info? thanks and good luck today....RKL
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The bottle jacks go under the corners of the storage compartments. as close to the center of the motor home as possible. The model and serial Nos. are located on a label on top of the tank that is located directly behind, or to the rear of the pump motor.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
RKL
Winnebago Owner

slideout manual retrieve

Thanks...RKL