Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide Out Maintenance

Hi Members, I have question about slide out maintenance.

My rig is a 2013 Winnebago 26 HE Itasca Sunstar. I have owned it for about 1-1/2 years and travel about 3 months out of the year. I checked it it out from front to rear and have done all the maintenance and upgrades needed. I really enjoy the rig.

However, I have not been able to locate the slide out motors, nor have I found any maintenance sheets or diagrams so I have not done any maintenance. Maybe they don’t need maintenance, but I don’t like the unknown.

Does anyone own a similar rig and know if there is maintenance that needs to be done, and how to go about doing that maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Frederick.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can not really help on motor placement or maintenance. I do however clean all the exposed parts of the slide with a spray made for slides. It does not collect the dirt etc. I also with a different spray product clean all the rubber seals that relate to the slide, both inside and out.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm interested in the answer

also!
Terry
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I found a photo of your model and it appears you have a Schwintek (Lippert brand) mechanism. Google for this - there's tons of YouTubes out there as well as maintenance information on the manufacturer's site.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago owner

Here's the lippert page for the in wall slide out. The motors are inside the wall at the top.

There are several entries under the "manuals", as well as some video's too.

https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out
pubtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, this was very helpful. No wonder I couldn’t find them, I was looking in the wrong place.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, this was very helpful. No wonder I couldn’t find them, I was looking in the wrong place.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Winnebago owner

Glad I could be of assistance.

Regular maintenance and attention to these slides is pretty important. I know all about these because mine broke and I had to take it to Lippert (just last week) and get it replaced. The bottom failed to close for a long time, just an inch or so and I ignored it.

In July I took my grand kids on a long trip to Michigan stopping a lot and I noticed that the 1 inch opening became larger and the trim on the Motorhome pulled loose.

Contacted Lippert in Goshen Indiana, they were helpful and thorough. Asked for pictures, I made an appointment and upon visual inspection they decided the Motors, racks, gears and guides needed replaced. Took Six hours and a little under $2000 to do so and I think that Lippert gave me a pretty good deal on cost of items used (I compared them online to items I could find and Lippert charged me at least 30 percent less than retail on these products). It does cost $130 per hour labor, but I could never have done this myself in under a summer.

One thing I noticed is that the new parts were more robust than those installed by Winnebago, the motors more powerful, and the teeth on the side of the slide appear to be more stout than the original ones.

If you still have any questions I'd bet that Lippert will answer them either via email, or a telephone call. They're busy, they may take a day or so to return your call or email, but they will.

If you watched the video's they were very effective at showing where the individual items are in that in wall slidout and how they all go together.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I apologize ahead of time, I can't seem to locate the videos. The drawing, yes, the manuals, yes, the videos, nope. Videos are actually the way I learn best, so if one of you guys could point me toward them, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Winnebago owner

Take a look at that link again, to the right of the manual's, right after the FAQ's are video's. There are several of them, kind of Training video's by Lippert. The one called "in wall Column replacement", I believe it's the 9th one shows them remove, then replace the hardware. You see where everything is at.

I noticed that it says the computer needs a flash player (Adobe), but it appears that the video's are actually in .mp4 format, so I think those should play over Apple devices. there's a lot of information there shows you just how those in wall slides work, and it's kind of interesting to know in case someday you have a problem.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Dang, "If it was a snake." Thanks so much.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Slide out manual override

Have a 2009 View H, new to me last year. I am sure I had a handle with which to wind in the slide out in case of power outage. I lost a few items on the highway due to the side locker door being unlocked. I cannot now find said handle. I contacted a local RV dealer who sells Winnebago. They took my VIN # and called to order one. Winnebago says there never was a handle for this model. So, what would I do if I could not retract the slide electrically?
Was there, in fact, a handle which I have lost, or is there another way to address the problem, should I ever need to know?
Katy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, slide, slide out