Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide out issue

I was wondering if anyone out there with experience in slide outs could tell me if this is an issue I need to have rectified. 2016 Winnebago Forza 36G. I noticed a noise behind the passenger seat (in my right ear) while driving last Sunday. I looked around in the area where I thought it may be coming from, and found that the top rack of the slide out gear, just behind the passenger seat, was bowed in towards the slide until it just could touch the slide. When the road got just the least bit rough, the rack would "tap" on the slide and give me that rapping noise.

I had the slide out extended in the driveway last night, and here's a picture of the rack on the bottom at the back side of the slide. So when the slide is in, the top left rack bows inward, and when the slide is out, the bottom right rack is bowed. Strange?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_210324.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	162295  
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The slim racks on my 27n look the same way usually bowed out on top and bowed in on the bottom. That is when they work. No noise though as it is tight to the wall.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Looks normal.....It seems as if the slides kind of float to some degree as the slim racks will look different, sometimes bowed as in your picture, sometimes loose. It may depend on the degree of level the coach is in when the slides are operated or maybe the road you have driven has been very rough and the slide has slightly shifted. Not sure exactly what the cause of this varying condition of the slim rack is but that's my guess.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much for replying. I will keep an eye on them, and see how they do. I'm trying to learn what is the norm. You've allayed my fears about a major issue. Things are working good, just looked weird to me! Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'm pretty spooked by my slim racks. The lower racks on the passenger side are popped inwards hard against the slide wall and the uppers are bowed outward. Almost no flex in the lower rails.

WGBO just did a total replacement of both motors and systems after they failed and bound the rear slide last week. But even with the new replacement system it sure seems like there is undue stress on the lower racks?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Stress on slideout racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
I'm pretty spooked by my slim racks. The lower racks on the passenger side are popped inwards hard against the slide wall and the uppers are bowed outward. Almost no flex in the lower rails.

WGBO just did a total replacement of both motors and systems after they failed and bound the rear slide last week. But even with the new replacement system it sure seems like there is undue stress on the lower racks?
I understand what your concerns are. I thought the same thing, and was thinking that in perfection, that the geared rack should stay straight both in and out. But I see what they explained to me that the slide "floats", with a certain amount of clearance top, bottom, left & right, so at any given time, one can be bowed more than another, so long as the slideout seals tightly to the opening.

Anyone else want to expound upon our phenom?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

One of my slides was retro-fitted with these new 'floating bars' - all is working better and its not unusual to see the bars flex a bit. Your picture shows some interesting 'staining' on your bars - possible that a good cleaning may be needed.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
One of my slides was retro-fitted with these new 'floating bars' - all is working better and its not unusual to see the bars flex a bit. Your picture shows some interesting 'staining' on your bars - possible that a good cleaning may be needed.
Thanks, and I'll not worry about it as long as it keeps moving in and out correctly. The "staining" is the spray lube which "dries" onto the rack. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Thanks, and I'll not worry about it as long as it keeps moving in and out correctly. The "staining" is the spray lube which "dries" onto the rack. Thanks for the reply.

Tags
slide, slide out