Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide out Adjustment bolts broken

Has anyone had this happen ? We just got home from Tenn. and backing in the driveway I noticed the compartments where not in line with the camper. Pushing on them it moved. Opened slide and found 2 bolts that are inboard both snapped off. I called Winnie, who put me in touch with another outfit and ordered new ones but was shocked they were broken. I am guessing maybe one broke in the past and maybe the PA roads finally broke bolt 2 ?
Old 04-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Can you post some pics and a better location idea of the broken bolts? Something to keep an eye on.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I will try. This is the part number Winnebago gave me.

132540-01-706 EA BOLT - SLIDE ROOM ADJUSTER RAP90865/P19611

They hang in the "aluminum" tubes that slide out and go into a bracket behind the compartments that is steel. The nut and both is still in the steel angle iron and is snapped just above the nut. The special bolt appears to have a notch on it to adjust.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Old 04-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

ok i cant get the pictures to show up. If you click and open them they show. Looking at the bolts it appears one is pretty rusted and has probably been broken for years as i thought. The front one is fresh shiny silver so it just broke.

The slide as made by HWH. I called but the girl said they dont stock the part. Week out then shipping. Hopefully they are in by the time we need to leave for NC...
Old 04-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
ok i cant get the pictures to show up. If you click and open them they show. Looking at the bolts it appears one is pretty rusted and has probably been broken for years as i thought. The front one is fresh shiny silver so it just broke.

The slide as made by HWH. I called but the girl said they dont stock the part. Week out then shipping. Hopefully they are in by the time we need to leave for NC...
The images don't show up in the thread and didn't open when I double-clicked them. They did open if I right-clicked on them and selected 'open in new window'.

Based on one of the images, would it possibly be due to rust? -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
No pics.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check the other bolts for head markings. Here is a chart of head marking:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

If they were common bolts I'd put in grade 5 or 8 instead. Choice would be made based on what was available and maybe price. YMMV.

Getting the old bolts out I would drill with a small (~1/8 inch) pilot hole then use a left handed drill bit from a Harbor Freight set. Chances are good the bit will bind and unscrew the bolt. If that does not work you will have opened up the hole for an extractor.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Old 04-30-2017, 04:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The bolts appear to be specific or I would just go to some big box store and get some. If the ones from HWH are not in by next weekend I will have to try plan B. Looking at the bolts they have a ridge so you can adjust. I'll crawl under and pull the old nut off and the bolt that broke should unscrew. I guess i would suggest those with similar years check these..
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I was have a little trouble posting pictures using Photbucket and I got this info from another helpful member:

"Your picture isn't showing now.
To post a picture you can click on the paperclip in the header, that will bring up a pop up box and allow you to find the photo on your computer and download [upload] it to the site. No need to post it to photobucket or other sharing site."
Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Here is your thread text...

Under 'Additional Options', select 'Attach Files' / Manage Attachments

You will then get a pop-up box 'Manage Attachments'

Choose your file from your computer that you want to upload, then select 'Upload' You can add multiple photos or delete them byway of the Manage Attachments. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 2.11.39 PM.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	160256  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well the bolts HWH sent are not even close to what is on the unit now. I am guessing the part number is not correct. Now onto plan B I guess. I'll pull one today and go to TSC and see if i can find something to work. I think a standard grade 8 bolt will work if i can devise a way to tighted/adjust it as you cannot access the head ones installed. Plan C is to get the mig welder out and just weld it back together for now.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

So i removed the bolt and its nothing even close to what HWH sent. I think a decent carage bolt will work so I'll try.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170507_111850.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	160969  
Old 05-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Good luck, if not I hope you have a friend with a lathe and mill.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Glad you got the photo posted now. Ya, that's the same bolt that broke just a few months ago on my 13 yr old coach.

Yours is rusted & corroded more than mine. Mine had no corrosion and the break was clean. I was able to add another nut onto the bolt and bridge the break with a couple of treads on each side of the break.

When we get the right part number from HWH, I will order two. One to replace and one spare.

When it comes to support and parts, HWH seems to be backlogged all the time. So they get your name and number and call you back a day or two or 8 days later.

I have had very good luck with Stuart's Service in Elkhart Indiana at (574) 262-0225. Immediate service, same prices as HWH, stock a lot of common parts, and can get parts from HWH factory shipped next day if necessary.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Digging around online I think I found the part number from HWH so will call them again in the morning.

Part number - RAP90530 - COMPARTMENT MTG BOLT
(Contains 2 3/8” UNC x 1/2" UNF bolts.)

I actually found the number on this site - TITLE

It was the closest to what mine looks like. I dont know the exact model of the slide but guess I'll try this. If not i did pick up 2 Grade 8 bolts and nuts. I'll put those in this week so i can get on the road. Once the new ones come I'll replace them. The old part number showed standard 3/8" so this should be a good temp fix. I leave in 10 days so dont have alot of time left.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Broken compartment blots Need help to replace

Mine also broke and the rep at Winnebago said they can be replaced but for the life of me I don't see how to remove the old one's. The diagrams on the site do not show the interior of the slide, nor I have I found any info on how to do it. If anyone knows of a manual to preform the replacement send me a link.

2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
rwinke26200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #19
M20Eflyer

How did you get the bolt out past the Ram inside the aluminum rail?
Michal Juhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #20
Winnie Driver

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	170677

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	170678We purchased a used 2008 Voyage 32H model with 24,000 miles on it in October 2018, and it was obviously used very little! Additionally, the people before us had never had an RV, or if they did they didn't fully exercise and check out everything. As so often happens as we get older, the elderly PO were having major medical problems. He had developed Alzheimer's (not full blown but getting there) and couldn't remember anything pertinent. His wife was also having other problems, but her mind was clear but handling all of the maintenance and repair issues and questions were beyond her. Thankfully, they kept good maintence records.

Having had several travel trailers, and a Minnie Winnie that just turned 110,000 miles I felt qualified to inspect and judge the condition of this unit. Just in case there were underlying and hidden issues, we bought the Good Sam Extended Warranty policy, and boy were we very glad we did!

One of the many threads on this website addressed the center support bolts shearing on the Full Length Slide (FLS), and when I looked at those bolts (after we bought it) they had sheared just like many others had reported on this site as well as others (IRV2). The slide mechanism worked in a kind of herky / jerky manner when we bought it and without knowing if this was right or wrong we assumed that's how it has always been. The one TT we had also had a FLS that was motor driven with rack & pinion, and it went out and in from the time it was brand new in a very similar fashion. The Minnie Winnie had two slides, but they were hydraulic and operated very smoothly. Therefore, we assumed this was normal for a rack and pinon driven slide, since the slide extended to full length and then completely retracted to its sealed position. Everything seemed normal, until I found the threads about sheared center support bolts on FLS on this coach as well as others.

I will attached the picture of those sheared center support bolts, and the permanent Winnebago factory fix for this issue after the slide was correctly aligned. You will note in the first picture the additional welded lock nut attached to the center support housing, that was described in one of the threads as a "temporary factory fix" for these sheared support bolts. The 2nd picture is the permanent factory fix which supplements the those support bolts. The only pertinent comment that I can make about the fix is that the bolts along with the 0.25" welded steel should eliminate this problem.

The secondary FLS problem that was also solved by the factory was the front slide motor failed after the above repair was completed. Was this motor and mechanism strained by the faulty center support? Only time and trials will answer that question. For now all is good and hopefully we'll put as many happy miles on the Voyage as we did in the Minnie Winnie.
RonsVoyage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out