Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide not even

My Lippert Schwintech kitchen slide is working but....for the last three times it was deployed it made a rapid popping noise on the rear side extending and retracting. It is now retracted and the lower rear corner is about one inch extended. The slide will not retract any further. Parked in driveway close to house so can't readily extend for more than a few inches to troubleshoot. I was thinking of trying the resynchronization technique after checking for debris in the track or on the floor. Taking it into the dealer (under warranty) may take weeks that I don't have. Any suggestions. I can get to a place to level and extend the slide if needed. Thanks for any and all assistance.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
My Lippert Schwintech kitchen slide is working but....for the last three times it was deployed it made a rapid popping noise on the rear side extending and retracting. It is now retracted and the lower rear corner is about one inch extended. The slide will not retract any further. Parked in driveway close to house so can't readily extend for more than a few inches to troubleshoot. I was thinking of trying the resynchronization technique after checking for debris in the track or on the floor. Taking it into the dealer (under warranty) may take weeks that I don't have. Any suggestions. I can get to a place to level and extend the slide if needed. Thanks for any and all assistance.
Hi Cochise
I have replaced the complete system and understand it well. If your slide is out of time side to side then you could resynchronize it. It sounds like your lower rear gear has slipped in the rail. Look underneath and I would bet you would see that the v roller has failed and metal shavings are present. I have two complete slide systems new in the box. If the dealer has to wait on parts let me know and I will help speed things up for you. Are you close to Orlando Florida or camping there by chance.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We had the same problem early on with the full wall slide on our 2013 Adventurer. In our case it was the lower front corner that wouldn't fully seat when the slide was retracted.

The motors did need to be reschyncronized, but as Jbmsr said the motors got out of time because the roller failed. Without the roller to keep the slide positioned properly the gears do not mesh properly, and can skip a few teeth (the popping sound you heard) when extending and retracting the slide.

Our problem started on our 3 month trip to Alaska last year. I would "assist" the offending corner in and out while my wife activated the switch. It continued to work throughout the trip and didn't leave any more shavings on the floor as long as I assisted it in both directions.

We had it fixed last fall at the Winnebago factory in Forest City IA. We spent several weeks in Florida over the winter, and have taken a couple week long trips this spring without any further problems.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Called Lippert. Tech said that resynch would only work if the front and rear of slide were not aligned. Said one corner meant that side needs to be retimed requiring a technician. Trying to get it seen to. Tech said it should still work with no problems as long as the slightly open corner was at the rear so blowing rain would not get in. We may give it a try and get it seen to somewhere later this summer.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdog....you said you "assist in both directions." Just making sure....do you just put pressure on the offending corner or on the entire side evenly?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hikerdog....you said you "assist in both directions." Just making sure....do you just put pressure on the offending corner or on the entire side evenly?
Hikerdog
We had to finish our summer trip with your same condition. In either direction I would push the bottom of the rear of the slide out while my wife would push the button. A little help is good. We made it fine.
Jesse
We made it well
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Our situation was similar to Jbmsr's. When retracting the slide I would push in on the lower front corner while my wife pushed the button. When extending the slide I would stand on the seat of the dinette and push out on the upper front corner of the slide. In essence I would assist the lower portion when retracting and the upper portion when extending to help eliminate the strain on the rack.

Tags
slide