Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Slide Noise

Howdy!

I just bought a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 33-V, and I have a (my first of what is sure to be many) question.

My slides seem to be pretty noisy when being opened or closed. Now I don't know what the normal noise level, so I am not sure what is typical. So, are slides typically noisy or is this an issue I should get checked immediately?

Many thanks,

Don
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On the 2007 Voyage I had the slides were Power Gear, is that what you have? If so mine were pretty quiet.
If Power Gear does the noise sound like the rubber seals around the slide making noise as the slide moves across them or is it noise from the drive mechanism which is a large worm gear type drive.
If hydraulic slides is the noise from the pump or slide area?

Happy Travels with your new rig,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yoda,

Well, the coach is brand new to me but I believe they are some kind of a screw drive although I have not yet been through the manuals thoroughly enough to know a brand name. The coach is on a Workhorse/Vortec chassis/drivetrain if that is significant.

The noise is mechanical, not a rubbing of the seals. It creaks and groans and just sounds as though it is working harder than it should.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like it has Power Gear slides. I would go to their web site and check for cleaning/maintenance of the screw drive. If you extend the slides you can inspect the drives and see if they appear excessively dirty. If so I would clean then lubricate with some type non-sticky lube. You don't want to provide a collector for road dirt to stick to.
If you can view the screw drive while someone else operates the drive you might check for alignment and rotation of the worm gear. A bearing or something may have come loose or worst case the gear drive might have gotten bent somehow.
I do not recall my drives being what I would consider excessively noisy, so I would think something is causing your issue.
Do all slides sound the same?
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have them same noisy Power gear screw system on my coach (2010 Vista 30w). I have waxed the sides of the slideouts to reduce the seal friction, cleaned the "arms" and have not silenced the noise at all. The screws are not in the open and according to the manual are not to be lubricated. I believe the sound is near the motor/ gear reduction-nearly impossible to get to on my coach.

Has anyone tried to add lube to the motor/ gear reduction?

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On your Voyage you most likely have Kwikee, now Power Gear Slide screw drive slide mechanisms. They are noisy and it is normal for them to be noisy. On mine they get their electrical supply from the Chassis Battery so I almost always leave the engine running when the slides are being put out or in. This gives them more voltage and they move better and faster. It is much better for the motors to have 13 plus volts than 12 volts or less from the single chassis battery.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffster View Post
I have them same noisy Power gear screw system on my coach (2010 Vista 30w). I have waxed the sides of the slideouts to reduce the seal friction, cleaned the "arms" and have not silenced the noise at all. The screws are not in the open and according to the manual are not to be lubricated. I believe the sound is near the motor/ gear reduction-nearly impossible to get to on my coach.

Has anyone tried to add lube to the motor/ gear reduction?
I have the 2014 setup and they say you should lube the motor drive gear periodically. Of course you can readily get tot them. And yes the electronic controller really ramps up and make a heck of sound.

Yes clean and polish the sides, top and bottom of the slides, make sure you use a none greasy lube on the tracks. You don't want anything to cause friction on the slides and grease will pickup dirt and cause friction.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Howdy!

I just bought a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 33-V, and I have a (my first of what is sure to be many) question.

My slides seem to be pretty noisy when being opened or closed. Now I don't know what the normal noise level, so I am not sure what is typical. So, are slides typically noisy or is this an issue I should get checked immediately?

Many thanks,

Don
Try this stuff: CRC 03044 Dry PTFE Lubricating Spray, (Net Weight: 10 oz.) 16oz Aerosol: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I use it on my slide gear and rack components. I also use it on other moving parts.

Rick
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Well, I am trying to "base line" the coach so I know exactly where I stand on everything. It has had state inspection and wheel alignment. Next is a tune-up, filters, oil change, etc.

Then it is scheduled to go in to RV Masters in Houston in the middle of April for the slides and levelers to be checked and the generator to be serviced. After RV Masters, I'll be able to report on the slides.

At that time we'll have done everything to give me a base line. The only thing left will be valve extensions and pressure monitor.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

AggieDad- Very interested in your April check out for the slide noise.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Shuffster -- I'll know in late April. My appointment will be 4-17. We have a few quick trips before it goes in.

Tags
slide