Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide leak

hello and merry christmas. 39K 2006 meridian itasca: on the front drive side slide, i have a rain leak when the slide is extended. it let's water in at the back side next to the fridge on the carpet at the veery bottom. inspection outside reveals a tube-type molded into the rubber gasketing. at the bottom of the molded tube there appears to be a break about an inch up. i moved the break side ways and water flowed from the tube. the break is clean, but doesn't look like ti should be there. this leak has me stumped!!!! every thing is fine when the slide is closed.
hope i explained it good enough.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Interesting, my 39K has developed a leak in the bedroom slide - front side of the bed. Can't determine where the water is coming in. It has been raining hard so I raised the jacks on the passenger side and do not have the water coming in. I put in a small heater and aimed it to wards the wet carpet. I suspect it is coming from the upper slide area area - the rubber seal appears to be good on the edge of the slide. Like yours it does not appear to leak when the slide is in.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have had both leaks. First for the bedroom the leak is coming in at the bottom seal. There is a new lower seal that has a trough init that allow the water that gets in that area to drain out. Easy fix once you get the new seal.

For the front slide the leak is in the rear seal. The way I fixed mine was to Reggie the area that has separated and make sure the spray foam under that end of the slide is intact. The carpet acts as a wick and soaks up the water.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Merry Christmas, We have a similar problem during rain. Unit is an 02. Will inspect tomorrow. Anyone have windshield area leaks? Had to remove trim and seal the glass to metal as we found no barrier to stop water. Still drips a bit and will add more rubberized caulk.
Thank you
Gerheardtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Pat View Post

The way I fixed mine was to Reggie the area that has separated and make sure the spray foam under that end of the slide is intact. The carpet acts as a wick and soaks up the water.
What in the world is "to Reggie?" We have been motorhoming in class As since 1985, and this is a new one on me?
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That is sooooo funny. My Ipad spelled checked me. I meant to "re glue".
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Pat View Post
That is sooooo funny. My Ipad spelled checked me. I meant to "re glue".
That's the first thing I turned off.......it can send some pretty weird stuff sometimes..
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi.. put a rolled-up paper towel or napkin behind the seal about a foot above the bottom corner...if the leak is occurring from above that point the paper will be wet after a rain..if dry, then the leak is probably right at the bottom corner..jim..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had a leak on my DS slide that only occurred with the slide extended. Originally thought it was a window issue but found water above the window. I then checked the slide lock drain and the rubber lock enclosure and everything was bone dry. I changed the slideout cover awning a month later and when it was off, I noticed there was 3 inches of sealant missing in front of the lock enclosure. Caulked it with Butyl tape and had Winn permanently repair it later. Not really sure if you could inspect this area without removing the awning.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2005 Horizon 40AD. Had some leaks at windshield. Did some recaulking around the windshield, but the answer turned out to be to replace caulk on the running lights in the cap. Good luck!
harmstrong17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Interesting, my 39K has developed a leak in the bedroom slide - front side of the bed. Can't determine where the water is coming in. It has been raining hard so I raised the jacks on the passenger side and do not have the water coming in. I put in a small heater and aimed it to wards the wet carpet. I suspect it is coming from the upper slide area area - the rubber seal appears to be good on the edge of the slide. Like yours it does not appear to leak when the slide is in.
Bob

I'm home now so can tackle the leak I mentioned previously. On the forward edge of the slide it appears the bottom of the seal is torn up about three inches from the bottom so I'd suspect that is the problem. I suspect the solution is to purchase a new seal for that portion of the slide and install it - other ideas? Oh, this slide lurches a bit when extending and retracting so I need to check out the Teflon type guides to make sure they are still in place and good - the question is does the bedroom slide in your 39K jerk (can't think of a better word) when extending or retracting. The other slides seem to be much smoother extending and retracting.
Thanks
Bob
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

slide leak

thanks everyone, Bob, my bedroom slide is smooth in and out. it is so much smaller than the other slides and there is only one track. i kicked the sleep number mattress out the door and put a sealy posturpedic in it,s place. had to unscrew the plywood base under the bed to remove the control connections.
this leak is really frustrating for me. i'm pretty mechanical minded, but this one is hard to capture. Charle's rv service over in ruston, la. is coming over this week and we will try and figure it out.

Everyone have a blessed forever.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Boyce, thanks. I'll try removing the rubber seal today. My slide seems to rock up and down as it goes out or in. Kind of like a playground teeter-totter - movement of 3 or four inches. I'll be pulling the mattress of today or tomorrow and check out the guides. Mine did not have the sleep number mattress but had a very heavy mattress and I replaced it with a foam/memory foam that is not near so heavy.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Hi folks! First post here. We had the same problem with the bedroom slide. Winnebago replaced the lower slide seal with a new and improved version. Works great! Mike and Pat may be able to elaborate on their replacement. Dining room slide is moody and comes in crooked sometimes, I am still analyzing that one. I want to replace the flooring and trying to figure out how to get rid of the carpet in that area and the rest of the coach!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I just sent my new 2 me 04' Journey 39K to the dealer for final prep. During our "Shakedown" we spent a night in a strong rainstorm. Wife noticed that the carpet on her side of the bed. (I got closet) was wet. I also noticed the forward drivers slide was also damp. Those went on the punch list along with a few other things. You guys gave me what to check when I pick it up. Thanks.

Nice to see some experience here with a similar MH's even if mine is an oddball with the Workhorse Chassis and Cummins ISC power-plant instead of the FCCC/CAT combo.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide