Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation Slide Issues - Winnebago-Lippert

Well, 3 weeks prior to our 1 year Warranty expiring we have finally been hit with OUR Slide Issue. So sad that this has happened, as we have done everything right each time (engine on, jacks successfully deployed, electricity plugged in or gen running, no excess weight on slide, running completely in or out until motor stops, etc etc. etc.)!!! We are on an extended trip, 5th day and the slide wont retract. - This is the long slide on driver side but not the heavy slide with kitchen - just the L-shaped sofa and dinette. We panicked - we can read and know about ALL THE PROBLEMS folks have had with their Itasca and Winnebago coaches 2012-2014 with these slide mechanisms. We do love our Vista 35F coach and hoped we might be one of the lucky ones to avoid issues - well, not so. We went through the entire troubleshooting matrix in the owners manual, talked to a nice guy at Lippert (# in manual to call for service issues). Were finally able to push the slide in and travel to our next destination where a new Camping World location (formerly Tom Johnsons in Concord NC) advised that their service techs were SLAMMED with repairs and could not help us - Sorry, perhaps at our next destination! Guess they don't like to do work on units they don't sell! Anyhow we are now traveling down to Destin, Florida and hoping that we can find an RV dealer there who will be willing to work with us - the Lippert folks said they would cover the work - their problem - the motor in the slide---and have given me a reference number for the technician to call. I have not yet called Winnebago since I will not be home until next month. Meanwhile, hubby and I are falling over each other trying to use our wonderful motorhome with the large slide retracted. Thankfully, this floorplan (bath and 1//2) allows use of the half bath and kitchen with the large slide retracted....just cannot extend the great L shaped sofa! At least it Florida we can be outside much of the time and enjoy the TV there!!! We have put almost 11,000 miles on this coach and so far, it has performed beautifully. Too bad.

Just wanted to report yet another slide disaster - what happens once my warranty expires when the other motors go????AND we know they will go, don't we. What do we do with all our clothes, food, dog, stuff? if we have to take the unit in for 2 or 3 days for repair while in Florida? Oh well - just have to take one day at the time and suck it up for this vacay! I will post updates but those of you who have already experienced these quality cohtrol disasters of Winnebago know this story has been written and re-written over and over again - Next time Tiffin! Happy Trails to you...
Old 09-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear this is happening to you but I also have some of the same questions you have. I have already had an issue with my large slide but it seems to be working perfectly now. Let us know what you find out because my warranty is up at the end of this year.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I keep reading about slidethe problems we have a 2015 what is the cause of the problem and is their any maintenance that can prevent it? We currently just lube the slides once a month.
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My problems dont have anything to do with maintenance..we went exactly by the instruction manual as I had read all about others having issues...the larger slides have the problem more than the smaller, lighter ones. The slides with kitchen configurations on them have more than others - some have found that the cut in their wall where the slide is inserted is not cut completely square, others believe there is a design flaw in the motors, and yet others think it has to do with installation errors.....I don't really know - just do know that there are number of issues with 2012-2o14 units - don't know what percentage of them....we suspect that our unit had the motors replaced during the time it was on the lot (before we bought it NEW - it did have 1200 miles on the speedometer) but cannot confirm this information, yet. Lippert is apparently replacing the motors with a stronger motor and in the years after 2014 some have said the motors and rails are different - just wish I had known before buying - my bad. We love the unit otherwise, but will probably try to trade it as soon as we can - hate it, though, and don't really trust Winnebago like I did before. Hoping you won't have trouble with your Unit since Lippert and Winnebago are trying to correct it - of course, that is no help for those of us who are already stuck with the old Lippert slide models - just concern for what happens after mid-October when my warranty is gone - we are thinking of waiting til we get back home and insisting our dealer have ALL the Lippert motors on both slides re-done to the newer motors - otherwise I will not even want to open the slides for fear that yet another vacation will be spoiled/ruined with our not being able to utilize the unit in its proper configuration - hoping for better days ahead. Happy Trails to You.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Take it to Forest City and Winnebago will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hey, SavGirl this is your neighbor in Savannah. Hope you get the slide problem corrected in Fl. It seems that things begin to happen a the one year mark. Step motor and jacks are causing problems just after warranty expires. Hope you can enjoy the remainder of your trip and get the slide working.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber77 View Post
Take it to Forest City and Winnebago will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Unfortunately, living on the coast of Georgia, that is not a trip easily made....we have decided to wait until we get back to GA and the dealer we purchased the unit from - Intending to ask them to replace ALL of the slide motors while we are still under warranty. For now, we are just utilizing the unit with the large slide in - somewhat inconvenient but then so is trying to get it repaired while 500 miles from home with food, pets, etc. that we cannot remove from the motorhome so it can be repaired. We are fortunate our floorplan allows access to the kitchen and 1/2 bath with the large driver slide retracted - all floorplans aren't able to access. Just hoping to get this issue dealt with so we can make our annual Thanksgiving trip with family able to utilize the large driverside slide! After trying local dealer and they cannot fix, the we will make the dreaded trip to have Winnebago fix it - would lo love to see their factory but surely did not want a visit required by repairs - probably talking a two week round trip - geez - anything to see there besides Winne and Lichtsenn (sp)? Happy Trails to you.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear of your slide issues, we can understand after having two Lippert/Schwintek kits installed on our galley slide prior to the 1-year warranty expiring. A word to the wise, if they replace a sidewall rack and/or motor, ensure both motors are replaced. The OEM matches the motors in pairs, matching their speed and torque. Some RV service centers have been reported to cheat and only replace one side, a recipe for later trouble. On Lippert slide mechanisms ensure to only lube the Gibbs and Motor Couplings, no lube on the gears or worm tracks. If you get slide creep out during travel, recommend you talk to a Winnebago Technical Advisor regarding slide locks. They shipped one pair for the galley slide, and they ensure that slide remains secure when stowed, as ours had been creeping out about 3/4" within the first hour of driving.

Lastly, unless there is an issue with the slide the manufacturer will not replace motors. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Seems like ALL the shops are slammed with work right now so it's probably NOT that they didn't sell it to you!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, winnebago