Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide issue again!

We got home from our annual trip to Florida and once again the front passenger slide failed and we could not get it in. This is the third time since we purchased this 2013 Itasca Meridian 40U and we are so disappointed in Winnebago. For the money we spent on this coach, which was not cheap by any means, it seems the coach is! We were told they still don't have a permanent fix which is obvious since its been repaired twice before. This slide was so canted it took 8 neighbors to help lift it enough to get it in. Wonder if anyone has though of a class action lawsuit against Winnebago.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426683839.803007.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	88820Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426683857.189880.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	88821Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426683878.978731.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	88822
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't have a Winnebago but I do have some thoughts on this issue. I had a similar problem with my Holiday Rambler but not to the extent you have.

On my coach the top of the slide would sometimes go under the wall rather than coming to rest against it. This allowed the slide to then tilt and it would jamb in the hole. I fixed mine by installing a metal door threshold on the upper lip of the slide. This now acts as my upper slide stop and I have had no problems since.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for your frustrations. I'm sure I would be upset.

I would work with the dealer or the factory. One of them should step up and fix it to your satisfaction. If no satisfaction with either of those routes, I would then check into your options under the lemon laws. Since this is a documented ongoing issue, I would think you would be better that route than through a class action suit. Class actions usually take many years, and attorneys fees can really add up.

With time and everything else considered, you may be best to just trade out of it into something you can enjoy.

Good luck.

Steve
Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
Wonder if anyone has thought of a class action lawsuit against Winnebago.
For a slide problem? Not worth the effort.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COH View Post
Sorry for your frustrations. I'm sure I would be upset.

I would work with the dealer or the factory. One of them should step up and fix it to your satisfaction. If no satisfaction with either of those routes, I would then check into your options under the lemon laws. Since this is a documented ongoing issue, I would think you would be better that route than through a class action suit. Class actions usually take many years, and attorneys fees can really add up.

With time and everything else considered, you may be best to just trade out of it into something you can enjoy.

Good luck.

Steve
Not many states have Lemon Laws that cover RV's, and then its usually only for the chassis for safety problems. And a stuck slide, while inconvenient, isn't a safety issue. Now, if the slide went out while driving, that'd be different.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sawtelle, What was fixed on the two previous problems? I have had problems with both driver and passenger slide outs. Mine can be manually cranked in or out. Slides are run by Powergear motors. They never found out why the passenger slide only worked periodically. The driver side slide problem was supposedly caused by a loose wiring connection behind the fireplace.
Popcorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

the problem is not just with Winnebagoit is with the schwintech (sp) slide system on larger slides but after the problems became apparent Winnebago should have stopped using it on the larger slides I have moved on from Winnebago because of customer service issues ( most likely campingworld)but they do make a very nice Motorhome
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

All motor home manufacturers are at the mercy of the slide out vendors who do not seem to be doing a very good job of providing quality assemblies the past few years.

The dealer can also be a very big part of the problem too. I had to get HWH involved when the Service Advisor where I bought mine just refused to call HWH and get the free repair kit and labor reimbursement from them. After all that they didn't follow the HWH procedure 100% either adding several hours of additional labor due to the dealers mistake and then they charged me out of pocket fees to pay for their error.

It would be nice if service advisors actually knew something about the products that they are advising people on.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The last fix on our slide included new motors (500/1 ratio), new tracks, and heavier rollers. Sadly when I spoke to the service tech at Winnebago he indicated they did not have a permanent fix for the issue. The Lippert/Schwintek mechanism just can't handle the weight of the slide apparently. Not sure what they will do now-the last fix took CW, Lippert, and Winnebago to come up with current setup. Just so disappointed as we really like the floor plan, storage, and ride. 😥
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The last fix on our slide included new motors (500/1 ratio), new tracks, and heavier rollers. Sadly when I spoke to the service tech at Winnebago he indicated they did not have a permanent fix for the issue. The Lippert/Schwintek mechanism just can't handle the weight of the slide apparently. Not sure what they will do now-the last fix took CW, Lippert, and Winnebago to come up with current setup. Just so disappointed as we really like the floor plan, storage, and ride. 😥
We had a 2011 40u had no slide problems (had powergear) loved the floor plan but the toilet room is tight for those of us over 6'.so since we had great luck with the 40u we bought a 2013 42qd but alas sshwintek was a pandoras box.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The last fix on our slide included new motors (500/1 ratio), new tracks, and heavier rollers. Sadly when I spoke to the service tech at Winnebago he indicated they did not have a permanent fix for the issue. The Lippert/Schwintek mechanism just can't handle the weight of the slide apparently. Not sure what they will do now-the last fix took CW, Lippert, and Winnebago to come up with current setup. Just so disappointed as we really like the floor plan, storage, and ride. ��
Then it sounds like Lippert may have been a bit optomistic when they rated the slide mechanisms load capacity. I believe they no too long ago did similar with their Lippert fifth wheel trailer chassis which failed at the necks.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago makes a great motorhome, the only reason I would not buy one is because of the Schwintek slides, many problems. I have spoken to a few owners all had slide problems. I cannot believe that winnebago continues to use Schwintek slides
Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I am also not a fan of my Schwintek slideout on my 2013 Sunstar 26HE. The slideout was at the dealership for two months. It was making an unusual noise and would not properly seal against the inside wall when extended. The dealership replaced a portion of the slide rails. The slideout does function, but still does not properly seal against the inside wall. When extended, it is about 1/2 to 1 inch from sealing against the wall. The dealership cannot figure out why it will not seal against the wall and said the slide out is operating properly. Luckily, the gaskets seam to keep the weather out. Winnebago was no help and Lippert said it appears the slideout was not properly installed by the manufacturer. (Photo attached - picture of slide out is sideways).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1985.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	89499  
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
All motor home manufacturers are at the mercy of the slide out vendors who do not seem to be doing a very good job of providing quality assemblies the past few years.
Newmar makes their own slideout mechanism and has for many years now.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Here is information on your system. I also had a steep learning curve on my slideout system. After many "learning" events I was able to make the slides happy when I used them. You will find that you have to diagnose and fix as many problems as you can by yourself.

I have a full wall slide that will only come in under power no matter how many helpers there are.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Schwintek has FINALLY realized that they under engineered the slide system they sold to Winnebago, Thor and several other RV mfrs. and are now using a 3 track system for the larger full wall slides. I don't know if there's anyway you can get your unit back to the Winnebago factory and try to get them to upgrade your slides to the newer 3 rail systems.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately we are in NC so not easy to get to the factory, however Tom Johnson has worked on this and other rv's we've had and do great work so hopefully they may be able to work with Winnebago and Lippert and get it fixed. Love the coach but just frustrated and a little nervous when we put the slide out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #18

Folks, you are not alone with your Schwintech slide system problems! Thor Palazzo has had the same problems for over 3 years and it is still ongoing. I would suggest reading some of the horror stories in the Palazzo section of this forum...
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago NO NO NO

I (and two other Tour owners I met) have the same problems you are having. Two weeks ago I had my front Lippert/Schwintek slide mechanisms repaired for the 5th time in 6 months. 2014 Tour 42 QD. Over 80 documented failures in the coach since bought new in Feb 2014. 3 items broken now as I write this. Been down over 100 days waiting for repairs/parts. Many repeat failures. Several are safety issues such as engine brake failures. Even a 5 day stay at the factory could not fix all the defects---some they told me are not repairable!!!
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

So we hear lots about failures, fixes then failures at the factory, talk about how to make the Schwinteks work properly......but are any of the members acually using these things without failures???

Tags
slide