Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well I think we have been incredibly lucky. Since we bought our 2006 Elipse 40FD in October of last year and having lived full time in it since then and traveled half way across the country we have finally had our first debilitating problem.

The street side bedroom slide extended just fine but will not retract. The other 3 slides will extend and retract just fine. When we try to retract the errant slide the pump is running but no joy on the slide.

I spent about an hour on the phone with HWH tech support today and the final decision was to take it to a service center. I cannot say more good things about the HWH tech support. They really tried to get me repaired and going again.

I have not tried to get the slide in manually because I am afraid that if I get it in I will not be able to get it back out and since I live in it full time I am really hesitant to try this exercise.

It will be about a week before I can get the coach into a shop so if anyone has any ideas for me to try - I am open to all suggestions.

Adrian

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well I think we have been incredibly lucky. Since we bought our 2006 Elipse 40FD in October of last year and having lived full time in it since then and traveled half way across the country we have finally had our first debilitating problem.

The street side bedroom slide extended just fine but will not retract. The other 3 slides will extend and retract just fine. When we try to retract the errant slide the pump is running but no joy on the slide.

I spent about an hour on the phone with HWH tech support today and the final decision was to take it to a service center. I cannot say more good things about the HWH tech support. They really tried to get me repaired and going again.

I have not tried to get the slide in manually because I am afraid that if I get it in I will not be able to get it back out and since I live in it full time I am really hesitant to try this exercise.

It will be about a week before I can get the coach into a shop so if anyone has any ideas for me to try - I am open to all suggestions.

Adrian

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Contact Winnebago Owner Relations at (800) 537-1885 or email [email protected]. In any event, you will need to get it retracted to take it in for service.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Adrian,

I had the same problem and, luckily, was able to fix it myself. HWH has probably already told you this, but for what it's worth...

I found a wire pulled out of the plug where the retract solenoid for that slide connects to a harness going to the HWH control box. The solenoids have a pigtail that plugs into the wiring coming from one of the plugs on the back of the control box. I assume HWH has already helped you ID the retract solenoid for that slideout, so just start there and trace the wires back toward the control box. Give each wire a good tug to make sure it's solidly in it's plug - mine was not visably loose, but came right out when I tugged on it. The way the wire was routed put stress on the connection - I rerouted it on a shorter path and have had no further problems. Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Adrian,

I had a similar problem on my first outing. As I don't know where you are, it might be good to store your jacks and get as much hydraulic fluid back to the reservoir, then see if it is operational. I found I had a problem similar to yours because our coach was in an un-leveled area which took up more than an average amount of fluid to level the jacks. When I went to slide out or in, I could get some open, but after the fluid was used in the lines, the rest would not open or close. Might check it if you already haven't. Just a thought.

Good Luck!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

AFChap - I have been checking the wires all day. I will continue as one of my trouble shooting efforts.

Tracy,

I am at Outdoor Resorts Motorcoach CC in Indio right now. If you are going to be stuck, this is the place to be stuck. My location is very flat so I suspect an uneven situation is not the issue although I will see if that is part of the problem tomorrow.

It is confusing and frustrating. I am now an expert on the HWH stuff location. Look under the front curb side behind the steps and you will see the hydrolic pump for the slides. In the clear plastic faced box are the electronics for the jacks and the slides. The 4 15A fuses at the top of the board are for the jacks. There are no fuses for the slides according to HWH. If you feel under the lip of the second step at the entry way there is a nut in the center. Remove this nut and the step will raise on a hinge. Under the step is access to the hydrolic pump and cylinoids for the slides.

The clear plastic face on the control panel box comes off by rolling the rubber lip back.

The tech from HWH tells me that if you will open the 1/4" nut on the back end of the cylinoid on the motor side of the pump the slide will almost creep in on it's own. I will have to see this. The manual says that it may take up to 150lbs of pressure to get the bedroom slide in. He said that is not true. We shall see.

This exhausts my knowledge of the slides.

I will keep working on the problem until I go into the shop in Las Vegas.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Adrian;

If neither your slides or you jacks operate and you hear a clicking when trying to bring the slides in there is a possiblity that the pump relay is bad. The pump relay is located on the rear of the hydraulic pump. Mine had 4 wire terminals on it and when I shorted the 2 largest terminals the system would operate. I had to short these 2 terminal with a large bar as this can draw up to 200 amps. I had someone bring in the slides while I laid under the coach and shorted the terminals.

HWH replace the pump relay under warranty and all is now operating correctly.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion but 3 slides work fine. Only one does not.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Adrian;

If you don't have the HWH Troubleshooting Manual for your system get it here:

http://www.hwhcorp.com/oemservice.html

If you work through the manual you'll be able to diagnose your problem.

Tom
currently in Crystal River, FL
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I have been to Aguanga before and the OR is truly a nice place to be "stuck" at.

I too have a slide issue to resolve. My streetside living room slide "creeps" occasionally and doesn't stay "locked". Although I can move in and out without issue, it does present a problem on the highway when you see my slide creeping out about 2 to 3 inches. Kind of puts a damper on things. I'm in touch with Winnebago and HWH on this and hopefully will have it rectified as yours is being worked on. I also found that the HWH guys are very friendly and knowledgeable.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I had a failure of the pump motor and could not retract the bedroom slide. I loosened the 1/4" nut and I and a neighbor were able to push the slide back in without too much effort.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">slide "creeps" occasionally and doesn't stay "locked". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We had a problem w/creeping slides ...tech at Coachnet told us when that happens to run them all the way out, then all the way back in, keeping the switch pressed for a few seconds on each end. (And that we should always keep the switch depressed for a few seconds after slide movement stops). He told us the problem was likely caused because we sometimes opened the slide part way, then closed it, rather than going all the way out and/or in. We did what he told us to do, and have never had another creeping slide problem...
Old 03-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">slide "creeps" occasionally and doesn't stay "locked". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We had a problem w/creeping slides ...tech at Coachnet told us when that happens to run them all the way out, then all the way back in, keeping the switch pressed for a few seconds on each end. (And that we should always keep the switch depressed for a few seconds after slide movement stops). He told us the problem was likely caused because we sometimes opened the slide part way, then closed it, rather than going all the way out and/or in. We did what he told us to do, and have never had another creeping slide problem... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not hi-jacking Adrians thread, but HWH is going to look at the problem when I take her in for warranty work in a few weeks. Winnie thinks it is the extend and retract solenoids. Whatever makes it work I say!!. Thanks for the reply

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

smlranger - that is good to hear. I am hoping it will not be too big an effort when I try to get it in Sunday. I'll have about a 300 mile drive on Monday to get to where a service center will look at it within my life time.

Tracy - we are "stuck" at the OR in Indio - the new one. Yea - it could be worse.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Adrian,
When you do the manual retraction, be sure to retract your curb side jacks and fully extend the street side jacks. A little "gravity boost" might be just the advantage you need. Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Sometime I am amazed I actually made it to my current age being no smarter than I am.

tomsm - great idea. I will definitely do this as I will want all the help I can get.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

On the creep issue - the previous owner had removed the base plates for the restraining belts so we bought 4 expandable cutain rods and wedged them between the slide and the outter side. Works so far and it is inexpensive.
Jack_Va is offline   Reply With Quote