Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2006 Itasca 35U. About 1 year ago I noticed one slide hose connection leaking 2-3 drips/hr. The point of leakage was on HWH Part #RAP91467. This 74" hose comes out of the room extension manifold and connects to the room synchronizing cylinder. My initial 1/4 inch retorque of the connection was unsuccessful to stop the leak.

I got on the phone to the excellent tech support folks at HWH...and after passing the part number to them, I understood from them that there had been leak problems with some of their hoses (HWH manufactures their own)..and that they would send a replacement to me ASAP. The leak problem existed due to a partial defect in the hose crimping process..fastening the hose metal fitting to the rubber/composite hose.

Awaiting receipt of the HWH replacement hose, I visited a local Hyd hose manufacturer/repair facility to inquire about hose repair. $10 and 10 minutes later I had a new fitting crimped on the original hose. Being a enterprising old geezer..I decided to connect-reinstall the repaired hose...and save the pending new HWH hose for a spare..

Reinstall of the repaired hose...with excellent tech support guidance... was flawless. Ops check of the line...perfect...no leaks.

Here's the end of the story...and lesson learned..One year after reinstall...the other original hose fitting connected to the room extension manifold began a slow leak similar to the original leak at the room synchronizing cylinder. With GNR a week away..I decided to tolerate the slow leak and delay the repair till I returned home. Home one day...and I pressed the extend switch for the center slide. I heard the pump run at what appeared to be an empty reservoir and unpresserized line sound. I quickly turned off the switch to check it out. Looked at the hyd pump manifold assembly...hyd oil everywhere. The rubber/composite hose had completely blown out of the crimped area of the metal fitting. Yup...both hose crimps were defective. Being an enterprising old geezer created more of the problem.

Lesson learned: Hose leak repairs..once identified, should not be delayed...or you could experience total loss of pressure and fluid before you realize it.

Replacement HWH hose self installed...all's well with coach slide hydraulics.

Pants and t-shirt very red.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2006 Itasca 35U. About 1 year ago I noticed one slide hose connection leaking 2-3 drips/hr. The point of leakage was on HWH Part #RAP91467. This 74" hose comes out of the room extension manifold and connects to the room synchronizing cylinder. My initial 1/4 inch retorque of the connection was unsuccessful to stop the leak.

I got on the phone to the excellent tech support folks at HWH...and after passing the part number to them, I understood from them that there had been leak problems with some of their hoses (HWH manufactures their own)..and that they would send a replacement to me ASAP. The leak problem existed due to a partial defect in the hose crimping process..fastening the hose metal fitting to the rubber/composite hose.

Awaiting receipt of the HWH replacement hose, I visited a local Hyd hose manufacturer/repair facility to inquire about hose repair. $10 and 10 minutes later I had a new fitting crimped on the original hose. Being a enterprising old geezer..I decided to connect-reinstall the repaired hose...and save the pending new HWH hose for a spare..

Reinstall of the repaired hose...with excellent tech support guidance... was flawless. Ops check of the line...perfect...no leaks.

Here's the end of the story...and lesson learned..One year after reinstall...the other original hose fitting connected to the room extension manifold began a slow leak similar to the original leak at the room synchronizing cylinder. With GNR a week away..I decided to tolerate the slow leak and delay the repair till I returned home. Home one day...and I pressed the extend switch for the center slide. I heard the pump run at what appeared to be an empty reservoir and unpresserized line sound. I quickly turned off the switch to check it out. Looked at the hyd pump manifold assembly...hyd oil everywhere. The rubber/composite hose had completely blown out of the crimped area of the metal fitting. Yup...both hose crimps were defective. Being an enterprising old geezer created more of the problem.

Lesson learned: Hose leak repairs..once identified, should not be delayed...or you could experience total loss of pressure and fluid before you realize it.

Replacement HWH hose self installed...all's well with coach slide hydraulics.

Pants and t-shirt very red.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for sharing your hard earned experience.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We had 6 fitting leaks at all different times/years our cost so far around 600.00. Last year a rear jack blow out....
On our way up from AZ we stopped and had the jack replaced for 317.00 at HWH. After all we been through with the bad connections we figured HWH would make good on there equipment, so much for that... We had the rest of our system inspected by HWH service Tech he gave it a thumbs up... we'll see. Once they start going you might as well replace them all at one time or you will as time goes on. Not looking forward to more leaks on ours.

I've seen combines/tractors that are used in the fields that are 20 some 30 years old and still have no leaks!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

HWH replaced my defective hoses. I had the defective #'s so no problem at all they paid for everything.. Good Luck and Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
HWH replaced my defective hoses. I had the defective #'s so no problem at all they paid for everything.. Good Luck and Safe Miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As you know there was a HWH recall on defective hoses in 2002. Now the defective fittings are treated on a case by case basis, no recall..... so you have to deal with HWH to pick up part of the cost....They did in our case but we still had to pay as I stated above. Most of the time we are at RV Parks that do not allow working on MH so your kind of stuck or you move to work on it.
Note: HWH should have a recall on the fittings too! BUT...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

HWH support with blown Hydraulic lines on slide?

My 2007 Itasca 38T blew off a line at the slide out cylinder while camped. I got it back in enough to get home but the jacks and rooms are useless and unusable. I read up on the ongoing leaks issue with HWH systems around 2006, but when I tried to call them, it took forever to get anyone human on the phone and say it will be 3 WEEKS before I can even talk to support. Anyone had better luck?
Martin Hulme is offline   Reply With Quote