Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Gear Noise

The gears on my 2014 Vista 27N Dinette make a loud noise. I found the motor behind the weather seal on the upper right side but can;t figure how to get into the gear at the bottom. That seems to be where the noise id coming from. The noise sounds like the gears are slipping or trying ti slip. It seems more noisy on the way out, and then in just the last foot or so. Any advise?

I have attached a photo. Do I need to remove the whole dinette?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vista RV.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	172047  
budbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No there is access to the motor from the outside! I have not done it but do some checking for the type unit you have and you should find how to access the motor by removing some trim. I have somewhat the same slide and found the info online to print off and store in the RV for future use but can't get to it now.
Point to look at on the noise might be easy to see if the gear track running along each side is messed up at the point where you get noise.
By cleaning, filing and lubing, I was able to clear my problem without actually getting to the gear, motor, etc. But I'm keeping the info as I assume it will circle around to get me at some point!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
No there is access to the motor from the outside! I have not done it but do some checking for the type unit you have and you should find how to access the motor by removing some trim. I have somewhat the same slide and found the info online to print off and store in the RV for future use but can't get to it now.
Point to look at on the noise might be easy to see if the gear track running along each side is messed up at the point where you get noise.
By cleaning, filing and lubing, I was able to clear my problem without actually getting to the gear, motor, etc. But I'm keeping the info as I assume it will circle around to get me at some point!
The sound is more than gry gears together. It is mor like gears skipping. Very loud.
I will try to find the access you mentioned.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We had a similar noise on ours and it really concerned me. Took it into dealer and they said they cut out a piece of plastic that was rubbing on the rack. Sorry don’t know exactly where it was.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I may not have made my post as clear as needed. The "gear" I referred to is a long strip along the sides of the slideout and it is exposed while the slide is out, leaving it easy to look to see if the gorooves or teeth on that portion show anything like the gears not quite hitting where they should. On my problem is showed quite clearly that the oposing gear was landing somewhat on the top of one side of each grove and when I carefully removed those burrs and lubed the channel, it helped a lot to make them mesh the way they should.
Not sure how you meant for you drawing about the gear location but I think it will be found on the slide and not the main body of the RV and that is what makes it possible to access from the outside with the slide at least part way out.
I think you will find the motor is at the top outside of the slide with a shaft running down to the bottom gear.
I went as far as locating my motor, so that I saw it but did not want to do the work where I was, so took the easy route, worked on the gears a bit and the problem has remained clear.
I know that my wife and I worked together to cause the problem as she was retracting the slide while I suddenly dropped the leveling jacks. The Lippert jacks on this unit drop it so suddenly that it tended to twist and that is what I feel caused the gears to become misaligned. Getting them aligned and smoothed out as well as lubed seems to have cleared the issue so I have not actually taken things apart further.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. I will check the visible gears. I was curious how to get to the point where the two gears mesh.

Tags
noise, slide